Formula 1 - 2010 Season

Incredible qualifying. Alonso 0.002 behind Vettel who is on pole. Holy. Shit.

I cannot wait for tomorrow. Go Alonso! :)

Ferrari have been fined $100K and the matter has been referred to the FIA World Council. I think the reaction from the fans and press will likely colour the outcome of what the council impose...

Personally I don't see what the big deal is. F1 is a team sport. Ferrari did what they thought was best for the team. They didn't lost any points but they did manage to give the driver who had the most points already and is performing the best for the whole season some extra hard needed points for the WDC.

Ofcourse the press is already all over it but thats press. They won't care about the how and why, they much rather make a big deal out of it because that is what earns them money.

I read Joe's blog and he too is acting that way while he always says he is sensible. Well if you are sensible its really easy to see what happend.

Ferrari is behind in the WDC and CC and they lost big points in the last couple of races but the car was/is good. Massa has been slower than Alonso for most of the season. If Ferrari wants to stand any chance in winning the WDC they will need to bet on one driver and given the standings and performance over the season Alonso would be the best bet. As expected (Is there anyone who didn't see this coming after Massa passed Alonso?) Ferrari let Alonso pass.

Now you might not think this is fair or good sportmanship but from Ferrari's POV its the most logical thing to do and the best for the team. Sure Massa is the one losing out but its impossible to keep everyone happy.

I am sure everyone would have been happy if Massa didn't slow down ;)

The reason why people are getting more angry, is because of the way Ferrari are doing PR post race. Why can't they just admit that what they did is wrong?

I am sure everyone would have been happy if Massa didn't slow down ;)

The reason why people are getting more angry, is because of the way Ferrari are doing PR post race. Why can't they just admit that what they did is wrong?

Probably because that would be incredibly stupid. Especially considering that it being wrong is pretty debatable.

I don't think it's debateable in anyway. Isn't it clearly against FIA rules for a team to dictate that one driver MUST give up his position to another driver on the same team?

Regards,
SB

I don't think it's debateable in anyway. Isn't it clearly against FIA rules for a team to dictate that one driver MUST give up his position to another driver on the same team?

Regards,
SB

Alonso was faster. Massa chose to make it a statement by letting him by on a straight, probably won't win him any favors with any team.

No he wasn't. He wasn't fast enough that he couldn't legally overtake him for 49 laps. If Alonso drove a lot better he would have. But he didn't.

No he wasn't. He wasn't fast enough that he couldn't legally overtake him for 49 laps. If Alonso drove a lot better he would have. But he didn't.
I'm certain Massa could have held him off if he had tried, but he would have been forcing Alonso to slow down. There is no question that Alonso was the faster car.

Well, I thought it was mixed. There were periods where Massa was pulling away (gap was up to 3 seconds apart), there were times Alonso was closing in, it was quite close together I thought.

Well, it is a relief to see Ferrari taking the fight to Red Bull, but Alonso's victory is not real unfortunately. The decision by Ferrari was a pragmatic one but it was not really a smart one. Alonso had a big chance to overtake Massa the first time they hit traffic and he almost made it.

Meh, it is very bitter-sweet. I hope next race, Alonso can win in a clean way.

One thing Massa should remember is that Räikkönen was told to let him past in China 2008, so that Massa could fight for the championship.

This team order rule is not good, but situations like the one in Austria 2002 was ever worse, I think the rule should be changed to allow team orders but not one as blatant and horrible as the one in Austria. In Austria, Michael Schumacher was very much ahead of everyone in the championship. He didn't need to win that race. Alonso needed to win this one.

Difference this time is Massa was 9 points behind and neither of them are fighting for the championship.

Massa has been setup royally in my opinion. They let him do some fast laps (which Alonso couldn't keep up with) used up his tires then told Alonso to put in some fast laps, surprisingly he was faster....

I guess Santandar are giving Ferrari so much money Alonso has a lot of pull. He mardy tirades at McLaren feel on deaf ears.

just wondered, how many people have lost their jobs and how many thousands of dollars have teams been fined helping Alonso win races?

One interesting thing is how Jean Todt will handle this. He was the one who pulled the trigger in 2002. He is not really impartial in this.

just wondered, how many people have lost their jobs and how many thousands of dollars have teams been fined helping Alonso win races?
Lost jobs? Dunno, Briatore and Symonds but they were the instigators of the crash. Fines? $100,000. If you are talking about the $100m fine, it wasn't for helping Alonso win races. Are you crazy?

Difference this time is Massa was 9 points behind and neither of them are fighting for the championship.
Alonso is now 34 points behind Hamilton and the Ferrari is faster than the McLaren and there are 200 points to fight for in the drivers' championship. Of course he is in the fight, what are you talking about?

Team sports without team orders are kinda ridiculous. They need separate pit and crews for each car. Scheduled pit stops are team order already. Team can easily botched one of their driver stop and get away with it.

Lost jobs? Dunno, Briatore and Symonds but they were the instigators of the crash. Fines? $100,000. If you are talking about the $100m fine, it wasn't for helping Alonso win races. Are you crazy?

Mclaren were fined 60million i beleive over stepneygate, fernado's engineers were receiving inside info on what ferrari's strategy was, how much fuel they had and when they were going to pit ect. Alonso knew quite well this was happening and used this info to try and blackmail ron dennis.

Mclaren were fined 60million i beleive over stepneygate, fernado's engineers were receiving inside info on what ferrari's strategy was, how much fuel they had and when they were going to pit ect. Alonso knew quite well this was happening and used this info to try and blackmail ron dennis.
It was not his fault Stepney gave away that info to Coughlan. Alonso knew they had insider info, he didn't know Stepney had stolen a dossier. Engineers talk to each other across the teams all the time in F1, that is not new.

Back