Formula 1 - 2010 Season

He is a likeable guy. He did leave Ferrari to go to drive that crappy Honda.

Not sure I totally agree on Alonso having the worst luck ever to be honest. Yes the penalty was harsh and the ruling took too long but Ferrari were stupid.

Their argument was that because Kubica forced them off the track the overtake was kosher. Loads of radio chatter about it between Alonso and race engineer but no one just piped up with, look in the rules it doesn't allow for exceptions or mitigating circumstances just give the place back straight away and avoid risking a race wrecking penalty.

There is plenty of precedent on this kind of situation and frankly the penalty was very avoidable. The fact that Kubica then stopped shortly after just made Ferraris decision even sillier.

Personally I think they should use the racing driver representative steward in a more pro-active manner and get them to make the call more or less straight away, but instead of going straight for the big penalty just get them to talk to the teams concerned and essentially "referee" the situation.

So on sunday Mansell would have been on the phone to Ferrari pretty much straight away and said give back the position now or you will have a stop go penalty or similar. That wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for every situation but for things like cutting the corner, either it happened or it didn't, pretty easy to rule on.

At the moment there is too much of a committee ruling on these things, it takes too long to get a consensus. You don't have 6 referees deciding whether someone was offside in football, the same principle should apply in F1.

Of course there will be controversial or even plain "bad" decisions, but hey it's not as if that doesn't happen anyway.

Cheers,

Iain

Last edited by a moderator:
lainF have a point!

If there would be a wall instead of a white line then than maneuver would be impossible. But we want overtaking on a track and fair chance of defending position at the same time.

Shame for Alonso because I think he would challenge Hamilton and made the race even more interesting.

Next race should be mighty! RBR, McLaren and Ferrari battling out and then Mercedes, Renault, Force India and Williams in the midfield. Not to forget Kamui appearing here and there :p

If Alonso had not schnarffed the start he wouldn't have been in that predicament at all! Yet Ferrari could over the mistake by appointing blame elsewhere.

A good recovery drive from Vettel, even though I absolutely hate his finger waving antics and arrogance and whilst I am a HUGE McLaren fanboy (I installed and support the gym and training IT systems at Woking) I think Mark deserved that win fair and square with a stunning drive following the first corner overtake.

I stand by what I said, stripping Hamilton of the win was supremely harsh, just as penalising Alonso was. Both were unfair.

autosport.com said:
Ferrari was told three times that Fernando Alonso should have let Robert Kubica through during the British Grand Prix, according to the FIA race director Charlie Whiting.

Although the penalty was given nine laps after Alonso passed Kubica, Whiting said Ferrari was advised to let Kubica through immediately, but that the team decided against it.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85258

You still think it was unfair?

In light of that, it was stupid of Ferrari and Alonso not to let Kubica through immediately. It still is very very harsh to punish Alonso when Kubica has retired. That is the part that is unfair.

but what else could they do ?
Not given the penalty, or done it faster, or fined him, or investigated after the race and then reprimand

Alonso should have given the place back immediately. It was very stupid of him not to do it.

Not given the penalty, or done it faster, or fined him, or investigated after the race and then reprimand
No, they had to give the penalty otherwise that will set up the precident of "breaking rules and hoping you get away with it because the competitor breaks down". They especially had to apply it given that they had already advised to give the place back. With the penalty applied Ferrari will know next time just to give the place back, rather than ignoring the stewards and continuing to argue with them and hoping they will get away with it later.

No, they had to give the penalty otherwise that will set up the precident of "breaking rules and hoping you get away with it because the competitor breaks down". They especially had to apply it given that they had already advised to give the place back. With the penalty applied Ferrari will know next time just to give the place back, rather than ignoring the stewards and continuing to argue with them and hoping they will get away with it later.
Yeah, you have a point.

Testing rules tweaked

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85279

Now they cannot run any part on the car which hasn't been raced and it has to be a genuine demonstration run.

Martin Whitmarsh said:
"The engineers here said others have done it, why can't we?" he said. "My view, as someone trying to hold FOTA together, was that I felt we could not take that advantage."
Yeah, he can say that when he's leading both championships. If the tables were turned, I don't think he would be that magnanimous.

Yeah, he can say that when he's leading both championships. If the tables were turned, I don't think he would be that magnanimous.
Given that they don't have the fastest car, they would like to maintain that chamiponship lead and that they are having trouble with the diffuser solution I think that is already highly magnanimous. Given Ferrari did use a "filming day" to test their blown diffuser and had no problems with it for the race I'd say it did provide a definate benefit - especially where a lot of the testing is concentrating on heat build-up at low speeds.

Given that they don't have the fastest car, they would like to maintain that chamiponship lead and that they are having trouble with the diffuser solution I think that is already highly magnanimous. Given Ferrari did use a "filming day" to test their blown diffuser and had no problems with it for the race I'd say it did provide a definate benefit - especially where a lot of the testing is concentrating on heat build-up at low speeds.
Mercedes used it too. I don't think there is a doubt that using a filming day for a test was anything but a benefit. As I said, what he has done is highly magnanimous, but I don't believe he would do that if McLaren weren't leading both championships at the time. It's been cleared up now, though, as has that qualifying fuel stunt McLaren pulled earlier.

Anyway, Tavo Hellmund has been talking to Autosport about the US GP track.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85288

100 feet of elevation change? That sounds great.

The tyre situation (super soft and hard) may make the German GP very interesting indeed. Hopefully Alonso and Ferrari can bounce back from the dreadful past weekends. Temper your passion with intelligence, guys!

Villeneuve Racing will attempt to join the F1 starting grid in 2011.

Canadian Villeneuve, 39, added: "The team will be a joint venture with Durango, and based out of Italy.

Davros thinks Lightman is one of londonboy's er friends
why else would he find Rendezvous in a rain coat exciting!!!

Back