Rumor - Wii2 specs leaked / Blu-Ray enabled / 1080p support / Q3 2010

JardeL

Regular
Exclusive: Wii 2 specs leaked, Blu-ray enabled and 1080p support?

We've just received some exclusive news and specs on the Wii 2 via Logic-Sunrise.com) (though a Nintendo of France marketing employee). The leaked specs denote the Wii 2 will get a Blu-ray drive (mainly to stop piracy), but will also support 1080P for games as well as movies. The new system is due out during the third quarter of next year and there will be the option to trade in old Wii's!

More details below (translated from French):

This is a nice exclusive we have here at MaxConsole courtesy of Artik from www.Logic-sunrise.com on the Wii 2. The actual information is said to have been leaked from an internal source of the marketing Nintendo France Service. Unlucky for them, this kind of information should stay internal, but that's not our philosophy.

- The Wii2 system will feature a Blu-Ray drive with a secondary aim of stopping piracy.
- 1080P and lower resolutions will be supported, for blu-ray movies and games.
- The release date is scheduled for third quarter of 2010.
- The release will be worldwide and on the same day for all countries.
- A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2.

Moreover, Nintendo wants to make a worlwide annoucement, only one month before release date. Huge publicity and Viral Marketing will be utilized to create the Buzz. Official pictures are not yet available, and more specs will be released in due course.

Why do we believe it at all ?

* Artik from Logic-Sunrise.com has regularly provided news to MaxConsole and has a lot of 'insider' contacts.

* Nintendo has suggested that it's time they embraced high definition technology for the Wii and Blu-ray has firmly established itself. So a Wii 2 with Blu-ray support does make sense.
[ http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=37744 ].

I doubt it. These kind of rumors have been flowing around a lot lately for DS, Wii, 360, etc. My guess is that these are nothing more than hit generators. Sensational stories created to get a few extra clicks.

A Wii HD that is backward compatible with existing games, and new Wii games forward compatible with Wii HD's extra graphics power, I can see. But Nintendo will still have to release those games on the current disc format so as to not alienate their industry-leading installed base, so I doubt they'd go to blu-ray.

I've barely used my wii (own two games) and I'm not sure I'd go for it a second time. Though if it's true (I doubt it) it's good they're allowing trade in discounts.

I've barely used my wii (own two games) and I'm not sure I'd go for it a second time. Though if it's true (I doubt it) it's good they're allowing trade in discounts.

That's a very good point and my thoughts exactly. I would assume that by now the market has been saturated and every one who wanted a Wii already has one. A lot of people got bored after a while so many of those units are gathering dust.

We have consoles in our office and played with the Wii for like 3 weeks before the novelty worn off.

Would an HD version increase sales? Wii's selling factor has always been the controler and the casual gamer thing.

Dont you think that it is too soon to have Wii2 in 2010?

Yes I do and why would Nintendo organise trade-in deals, have this ever happended before? The gameshops are the best fitted to do that.

Using maxconsole as a source that approve of a rumour is NOT adding credibility, considering the amount of baseless rumours they have provided throughout the years. As far as I am concerned I think this thread could be locked until there is a more credible source at hand.

Funny that we don't know anything in terms of 'specs' except Blu-ray.
That's the scary thought - it'll be a doubled up Wii!

Actually, 1080p at Nintendo's signature 60fps would require a significant increase over what they have, I think. Unless they keep everything else exactly the same and just increase resolution!

Other than that, discussions on the next Ninty platform should probably remain in the Future Consoles thread. Unsubstantiated rumours aren't anything to go on!

That's the scary thought - it'll be a doubled up Wii!

How about it just comes with a hardware upscaling chip included. :p

Though actually considering the type of graphics you get on the Wii, maybe they should go for some clever rasterisation solution? :D

Actually, 1080p at Nintendo's signature 60fps would require a significant increase over what they have, I think. Unless they keep everything else exactly the same and just increase resolution!

Other than that, discussions on the next Ninty platform should probably remain in the Future Consoles thread. Unsubstantiated rumours aren't anything to go on!

Yeah.

cuoted from a post of mine in neogaf:

A Wii 2 with an ATI 5750 would destroy X360 and PS3. Although the most suitable option is Redwood ( ATI HD 5650 or so, which curiously belongs to a family codenamed EG BROADWAY, similar to Wii´s CPU codename, that still would make Wii 2 two times more powerful than competitors with a less wattage hungry chip ). This would make next generation nearer than ever.

I think is the perfect timing for Nintendo. Its profit has started to decrease. From a financial point of view although not easily understandable that means shares will start to depreciate if nothing that changes future expectations change. 2010 is the year of the new waggles that make those profit expectations even worse.

This way Nintendo could update its controller and in the same time steal the graphics thunder from competitors and raise share holders expectations again.

Maybe that rumour about a new Xbox at the end of 2010...

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe in a Wii HD next year.
I do not expect Nintendo will allow trade in.
I believe Wii HD will be less powerful than PS3 and 360.
I believe Wii HD will allow 1:1 pointer and augment reality.

Why do i think so?
Next year we will see Sphere and Natal along with even lower prices and upsurge of HDTV. Nintendo will need to refresh the Wii as they did with DS, its a business model that have given Sony a lot of success in the last decade and...we see it today ....from Apple.

Mod: Fixed weird string concantenation fault that looked like an immature dig at a name.

A wii hd would kill the wii market. The wii will only just be 4 years old next holiday season. they are leaving a ton of money on the table and alot of adopters will not upgrade esp if its level of grpahics are on par with the 360 and ps3. If the system is above that then I don't see it costing less than $300 and will basicly be way more expensive than the 360 and ps3 both of which have large install bases and tons of games.

not only that but if they launch next year then sony or ms will launch in 2011 ( my money is on ms since the 360 will be 6 years old at that point) and nintendo will not have held on to the graphics crown for long at that point .

That was tirminyl's assumption. If the rumor is true, I think that's where you'll be seeing your 1080p. Not games.

Back