DirectX 11 released for Vista

I have read that you should download this even if you don't have a DX11 card, because you still get better support for more threads, despite if you have DX9/DX10 or DX11...

Is that true?

If not, is there any benefit in downloading this without having a DX11 card?

I have read that you should download this even if you don't have a DX11 card, because you still get better support for more threads, despite if you have DX9/DX10 or DX11...

Is that true?

If not, is there any benefit in downloading this without having a DX11 card?

It gives you Compute Shader 4.0 or 4.1 support on selected DX10 cards, for one thing.

If you have a Nvidia G80 series or better, or a Radeon 4xxx series DX10 card you get support for a few DX11 features, compute shaders being the most major one I believe. It will enable you to run OpenCL apps on your GPU and generally improve your card's GPGPU capabilities, plus games will take advantage of this at some point as well...

Ok, thanks for the answers

I have a GTS 250 and my bro has a HD4870 on his computer, so I guess I should as well download DX11 then

This question may not be related to the thread that much, but I feel it is better than starting a new one...
Will DX10.1 cards benefit much over the normal DX10 cards when playing DX11-games? For example, will the HD4870 gain some noticeable performance over a GTX260 216 core(since they are pretty equal now)?

Ok, thanks for the answers

I have a GTS 250 and my bro has a HD4870 on his computer, so I guess I should as well download DX11 then

This question may not be related to the thread that much, but I feel it is better than starting a new one...
Will DX10.1 cards benefit much over the normal DX10 cards when playing DX11-games? For example, will the HD4870 gain some noticeable performance over a GTX260 216 core(since they are pretty equal now)?

All the performance improvements for being Dx10.1 will be there when a game is running Dx11, even if there is no specific Dx10.1 path as I understand it.

So in most cases a nice 20% improvement in speed for cards supporting 10.1 and up versus Dx10 only level of features.

Regards,
SB

All the performance improvements for being Dx10.1 will be there when a game is running Dx11, even if there is no specific Dx10.1 path as I understand it.

So in most cases a nice 20% improvement in speed for cards supporting 10.1 and up versus Dx10 only level of features.

Regards,
SB

Ok, good to hear

Thx

Back