Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a pc gamer, I'm surprised at your post function... Lol

I wouldn't call it a win. 1080p v 1320x1080 is quite a difference versus an occasional dip of 5 fps.

Best you can argue is a tie in my opinion

Can we keep subjective fanboy nonsense out of this technical thread, please? Better or worse is irrelevant here, only the difference. Post one's preferences in the game thread or one of the many framerate/resolution threads.

XBOX WON(e) is genius. Everyone should use it. Even when it loses.

Seems to be a reasonable set of trade-offs based on the hardware and market expectations.

I think it looks like a solid multi platform game. Glad to see X1 version not chasing "full 1080" at the cost of gameplay. That's awful when it happens.

Hope to see DF go into detail on the MP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed that they have toned down motion blur quite significantly since the E3 reveal in my opinion. It probably is for gameplay purpose though because it's still there in all its form ie. object, camera and radial blur, just that it seems to be used only under specific scenarios and in certain sections it is more heavy than usual. But in some cases it's gone for good and I don't see any gameplay implications, such as the drone swarm in E3 video had object motion blur and it was apparent even in low quality videos but it isn't there in the final game.

Is the dynamic scaling just a simple toggle between low and high res as previously suggested? That choice could solve my latency concerns as there wouldn't need to be complex predictions/calculations on future workloads to scale to, just a fairly straightforward count of immediate stuff and decision whether it's too much for 1080p or not.

Is the dynamic scaling just a simple toggle between low and high res as previously suggested? That choice could solve my latency concerns as there wouldn't need to be complex predictions/calculations on future workloads to scale to, just a fairly straightforward count of immediate stuff and decision whether it's too much for 1080p or not.

DF will certainly answer that when the full report comes out. If the algorithm is really organic though I can only imagine it being a gameplay decision to not offer it in MP, it offers no advantages in competitive play.

IIRC wasn't the reason dynamic resolution is created to remedy the times in which the CPU gets over budget since CPU loads are highly volatile but GPU loads are fairly consistent. If it's CPU based PS4 should be able to enable it.

The question I would have is: can dynamic resolution be based off GPU load?

In the great battle of the consoles, the FINAL SCORE! is out:

XBOX 1-Playstation 4

(Sorry, could not resist, inspired by function)

GPU loads are also highly volatile. A view down a road suddenly filled with a million pieces of rubble and smoke particles thanks to an exploding building is going to strain the GPU.

after playing COD on PS4 for a few hours, the game looks nice but very statics, Almost no interective objects in he background, like glass don't even break nor even have bullet holes!. But the game runs amazingly well, if this is how the rest of the game runs I have no problem sticking to 1080p native over dynamic res.

I just watched the DF video analysis, both versions drop equal numbers of frames. Check the second half of the video.

From what I saw, the PS4 version often just drops a single frame (i.e. doubling rendering time to 33ms). Not only, there's some periods of prolonged framedrops, which usually also affect the X1 version. But those single framedrops aren't really found on the X1.

I found the "slomo" section interesting. It seems they slow down the simulation and thus rendering frequency to achieve the effect, instead of really simulating it via animation. A very linear frame change on both systems.

I found the "slomo" section interesting. It seems they slow down the simulation and thus rendering frequency to achieve the effect, instead of really simulating it via animation. A very linear frame change on both systems.

Ah right, that's probably the part I'm referring to. It's a progressively slowing of the framerate for those parts. Seems like a strange method.

Having watched the video, it appears at times both drop a frame (they are equal in the graph, one step down from the top), but the xbox version is showing 59 and the PS4 version 58.

after playing COD on PS4 for a few hours, the game looks nice but very statics, Almost no interective objects in he background, like glass don't even break nor even have bullet holes!. But the game runs amazingly well, if this is how the rest of the game runs I have no problem sticking to 1080p native over dynamic res.

The glasses, monitors, they all do break it's one of the first things I notice..there are also a lot more moveable objects in this game compared to previous COD.

After playing thru 5 Sp missions on the Xbox One the framerate is very solid. I have noticed 2 instances in 2 different missions where the camera will go from one position to another without any frames in between. It has only happened at the beginning of the missions when I am given control of the camera.
In gameplay with 15 to 20 npcs on screen I havent noticed a single stutter or dropped frame.
As far as motion blur goes there are instances in the opening campaign where it seems to be missing like on the swarming drones, but there are other areas of the game that has gobs of motion blur almost too much.

COD Advanced Warfare multiplayer DF analysis:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...nced-warfare-multiplayer-performance-analysis

XB1: static 1360x1080 ,no vsync (rare torn frames) + crushed black
PS4: 1080p + vsync

Solid 60fps on both versions. very occasionnal single frame drops on both versions.(maybe less frequent on PS4)

XB1 : Rare ~55fps drop + tearing during gameplay (shaders heavy during shooting)
PS4: Very rare ~50-55fps drop during kill-cam replay (never during gameplay), 2 drops occurred in hours of recording

You could say the PS4 is slighlty smoother during gameplay.

After playing thru 5 Sp missions on the Xbox One the framerate is very solid. I have noticed 2 instances in 2 different missions where the camera will go from one position to another without any frames in between. It has only happened at the beginning of the missions when I am given control of the camera.
In gameplay with 15 to 20 npcs on screen I havent noticed a single stutter or dropped frame.
As far as motion blur goes there are instances in the opening campaign where it seems to be missing like on the swarming drones, but there are other areas of the game that has gobs of motion blur almost too much.

That would be the vehicle sections which just use heavy radial blur mixed with object and camera both. It also feels like they also turn it on/kick it up a notch during most of the real time cutscene.

In the single player comparison it says for the last screenshot comparison:

7/7 A less demanding interior shot, in which we see the Xbox One running at a match for the PS4's full 1920x1080 native resolution.

But there's a distinct lack of clarity in several places on XBO that I don't think can be fully explained by the slight difference in camera angle or gamma issue.

PS41.png
XBO1.png

< PS4 XBO >
PS42.png
XBO2.png

Also, these two shots do have the exact same camera composition but the shadows look glitchy on the XBO side.

PS4shadow.png
XBOshadow.png

I'm perfectly fine with how the PS4 version performs. I think they made the right decisions. SP doesn't need a perfect framerate IMO, and I usually don't notice framerate dips unless they drop below 45 anyway. No one seems to be complaining about the framerate on PS4, where it seems to stay at 55-60 99% of the time, and at 60 for the majority of the time, with no tearing. And MP is a solid 60fps where it actually matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back