Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether the intent is there from DF or not, the only reason it exists is because of the console "war" between fanboys. The market for people who are geniunely interested in the kind of details they reveal is incredibly small. It wouldn't be a section of its own on Eurogamer without fanboys fighting over the details. For the most part, it draws huge readership because of forum warriors. Call me cynical, but I just don't think a lot of people who read it have a genuine interest in the tech.

I googled that misterx. I assume its this

apparently the xbone is up to 4 to 5 TF now from the original 1.2TF (the ps4 can only manage its original 1.8TF) so things are looking pretty bad for the ps4 at the moment.
WRT DF they should just stick with the facts, no comments on gameplay etc, also a lot of their screenshots they choose are pretty bland eg cutscenes with a single character in it

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap. I read that for less than five minutes and I swear some of my brain cells died.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

Please, don't anyone read MisterX. It's hazardous for your health. This should be well known here. Superman says, "Don't smoke, don't do drugs, and don't ever look upon MisterXMedia's excretions."

Please, don't anyone read MisterX. It's hazardous for your health. This should be well known here. Superman says, "Don't smoke, don't do drugs, and don't ever look upon MisterXMedia's excretions."
Oh no there's some great (and by "great" I mean crazy) stuff. I like the CBOAT conspiracy stuff where he conjectures Valve are behind the "Microsoft hate". It's brilliant (and by "brilliant" I mean crazy). :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

DF must have gotten a copy of Bayonetta 2 early, they already did a frame-rate test. Looks like the framerate floats around a lot. When things are hectic, its more of a 30-45 fps game, and certain areas seem to stick closer to 60fps than others. If there weren't a few examples of game that have screen tearing on Wii U, I would be inclined to believe that Vsync is mandated. Zero screen tearing in yet another Wii U game. Not sure if there is a hardware reason that allows Vsync to be applied without much of a framerate sacrifice, but it does seem like developers are choosing Vsync over a higher framerate, at least on Wii U.

After all this time DF finally gives us a test of Wonderful 101? Talk about being late to the party. If you have played the game, the test confirms what you experienced. Its a pretty fluid game, but you can tell the framerate takes a dip when things get hectic. Again, no screen tearing.

Posted above on Saturday. Apparently nobody cares :nope:

I care :D

But not much to talk about here since we dont have comparisons for the usual platform superiority pageant :LOL:

It looks great from what I saw and the gameplay will most probably be great if its anything like the first game.

I care :D

But not much to talk about here since we dont have comparisons for the usual platform superiority pageant :LOL:

It looks great from what I saw and the gameplay will most probably be great if its anything like the first game.

Well they said they will compare Bayonetta on Wii U with the other versions. Early impressions say that its at least on par with the 360 version, and far better than the sad PS3 port.

Im surprised that the stress test on Bayonetta 2 didn't spark more conversation throughout the community, not just here, but in other forums and youtube channels. Simply because many of the white knights, Im a fan of Nintendo yes, but the evidence has been overwhelming that the Wii U's technical prowess is very much in the 360/PS3 camp. I will admit that I was very optimistic that it was something more for a long time, but I feel like games like Bayonetta 2 showcase the hardware. Remember when reports were suggesting 1080p 60fps? Now we have 720p no AA and a framerate that seems like it averages about 40-45fps. I think Bayonetta 2 is definitely the better looking game compared to the original, but not so much that I don't think the 360 couldn't run the game with similar fidelity. I know some people will just move on to the next game, and X or Zelda will become the game that showcases what it can really do, but I think games like 3D Wolrd, Mario Kart 8, and now Bayonetta 2 are clearing up the foggy picture of what the tech specs for Wii U really are, and it seems likely that the guru's here were right on track.

Hands-on with the Forza Horizon 2 demo

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-hands-on-with-forza-horizon-2-demo

In the limited demo environment we've only seen a snapshot of what Forza Horizon 2 has to offer, but our first impressions are highly positive. While it's hard to make judgements on the full scope of the game from just a brief hands-on, what's been shown so far certainly exceeds the original Forza Horizon in all areas, while substantially ramping up the level of detail and effects work in line with what is expected from a current/next-gen release.

Oooh, shame about the low level of aniso. Other than that, the game looks amazing. Open world goodness ...

Still wish they'd put in a 60 fps mode for those of us that would want the full arcade-y, bru skied, vivid-coloured Horizon dream.

Oooh, shame about the low level of aniso. Other than that, the game looks amazing. Open world goodness ...

Still wish they'd put in a 60 fps mode for those of us that would want the full arcade-y, bru skied, vivid-coloured Horizon dream.
Agreed. I'd like to see a lot more games apply the Shadowfall frame/resolution interpolation to increase the overall framerate.

Further inspection of the demo shows that Forza Horizon 2 delivers its visual punch with a crisp native 1080p resolution, as promised by the developers earlier in the year. The anti-aliasing solution is also given a boost over that of Forza 5 via the use of 4x MSAA (multi-sampling anti-aliasing) - a bandwidth-heavy choice that we rarely see in use on console. Coverage is decent, with less shimmering on distant objects compared to Forza 5. On the other hand, there's a big difference in frame-rate between these two games: Forza 5 delivers a silky-smooth 60fps presentation, while Forza Horizon 2 cut this in half down to 30fps.

Man this is really nice to see how close theory meets application.
footnote: Forza Horizon 2 uses Forward+ rendering.

Nice bar graph of 7790 here showing where Forward+ should sit with these particular settings.
qdcLPl6.jpg

What is the percentage on the y axis?

I believe is it a normalized view of performance wrt to forward+. Therefore it's always 100% in that regards and the deferred rendering will ride either above or below it. I'll bring up the link to the slide deck, I don't know what that y-axis is measuring for sure.

It's possible it could be GPU time in ms to complete the task. But that would always change then since it's been normalized etc.

This new tech shows you can have your face in NBA 2k15 either using Kinect or PS Eye.

I wonder if Digital Foundry could write an article on this feature, comparing the accuracy of both Kinect and PS Eyes when using this technology.

This new tech shows you can have your face in NBA 2k15 either using Kinect or PS Eye.

I wonder if Digital Foundry could write an article on this feature, comparing the accuracy of both Kinect and PS Eyes when using this technology.

That should be an easy Kinect win. It's RGB camera has far superior resolution to either of the PS Eye's.

That's if it's even using a texture. Looks like it might not be. Either way I anticipate a Kinect win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back