Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Last of Us may have got the remastered treatment and look great with some enhancements allowed by the more powerful HW but its still a PS3 game technically at its core. So it begs the question how will they manage 60fps at 1080p with a full fledged next gen title if LOU experiences frame rate dips without demonstrating the amazing IQ of the U4 trailer? Its a huge challenge which I hope doesnt repeat the story we got with MGS4. It also promised 60fps, and other things that were cut

I can't imagine porting a game that was so highly optimised for Cell and the SPU's is very easy, UC4 will be built from the ground up for the PS4 architecture, at least I'd hope it would be.

Performance Analysis: Titanfall revisited

Well, it's visible now, but what's clear from an initial playthrough is that resolution remains at the 1408x792 pixel count of the launch code with the same 2x MSAA (multi-sampling anti-aliasing). Running key clips through our performance analysis tools, our take on the Update Five is that there is a clear improvement in frame-rates, but we do wonder if the average gamer is likely to notice - baseline performance is still mostly in the 40-60fps range, and there are still dips into the 30s when the game is really struggling under the load.

Indeed, there is no game-changing improvement here to the point where some may wonder if these optimisations exist at all. It's a difficult one to test, owing to Titanfall's inherently dynamic gameplay. Thanks to the multiplayer nature of the game, no two sessions are the same, therefore like-for-like testing is simply not possible. Only in the intro sequences to each stage do you get the chance to test performance in this way, but it is not representative of gameplay and rarely is the engine under load in a way in a similar manner.

The campaign level select has been removed from Update Five, so capturing this sequence again proved... challenging. However, the results are intriguing. The improvement ranges from nothing at all to a boost of around 10 per cent. So an Update Four 46fps becomes an Update Five 51fps. However, in amongst all of that tearing, it's difficult to tell the difference.

Would anyone care if this game is rendered at a lower resolution, say 1280x720? Thus giving it the needed performance (headroom) on possibly locking it at 60fps, without the awful drops and tearing.

Personally, I played TF, it's a great game... just needs some polishing here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am pretty sure their engine is not good for the xbox one, it does not look better than cod ghost, and still struggling.

BTW i'd like DF to make another analysis of BF4 PS4 MP now, because though it looks more stable than before, it's still far from a constant 60fps.

BTW i'd like DF to make another analysis of BF4 PS4 MP now, because though it looks more stable than before, it's still far from a constant 60fps.

I think DF revisits games with the potential of getting better with updates, not the other way around. :LOL:

Sorry BF4 fans... :oops:

Glad Respawn is still working hard on Titanfall. They're being really good to their customers. Hopefully Titanfall 2 brings some significant improvements. The game is a hell of a lot of fun and plays very well, despite its flaws.

Performance Analysis: Titanfall revisited

Would anyone care if this game is rendered at a lower resolution, say 1280x720? Thus giving it the needed performance (headroom) on possibly locking it at 60fps, without the awful drops and tearing.

Personally, I played TF, it's a great game... just needs some polishing here and there.

I would really like that option, there should be a 1280x720 - 2X AA with some good quality FXAA added in. Though reading the DF article it seems that the problem could be on the CPU side.

The drops in Titan mode happen during lots of effects, seems GPU not CPU.

Wonder if there are some funky visibility or physics/collision checks. I did recall the framerate tanking when there were simply 3+ titans on-screen.

Wonder if there are some funky visibility or physics/collision checks. I did recall the framerate tanking when there were simply 3+ titans on-screen.

Titans are definitely the biggest culprit of frame drops, especially up close. Transparencies, like smoke and cockpit effects really seem to tank performance.

Titans are definitely the biggest culprit of frame drops, especially up close. Transparencies, like smoke and cockpit effects really seem to tank performance.

In the interview with DF if I recall correctly, they mentioned particles physics are cpu driven, and they are a very expensive system for them.

In the interview with DF if I recall correctly, they mentioned particles physics are cpu driven, and they are a very expensive system for them.

All the drops I see in Titan mode in the videos are just your typical transparencies like smoke and explosions.

If the CPU was the bottleneck, why not increase the res with the freed GPU resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back