Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I am expecting 60fps for the PS4 TLOU version.

Tomb Raider DE, a multiplatform game did it, they even added tressfx.

Since Idiot fanboys can't discuss technical items, everyone suffers.

Can it? Sure. Will it? No. I'm expecting 1080p/30.

The only thing going against 60fps would be that their core engine / physics / animation set up etc etc. may be optimized for 30hz (like how dead nation PS4 was 30fps, what a let down.)

But I highly doubt ND would be so such short-sighted to design things around fixed frequencies and they had offline 60fps renderings of UC3.

And don't forget that TR included TresFX over the previous console version which sucks down a massive amount of performance.

I thought TressFX didn't suck down massive amounts of performance on medium-range GCN GPUs.
Even less with the version 2.0, which afaik is the version used by the consoles.

I thought TressFX didn't suck down massive amounts of performance on medium-range GCN GPUs.
Even less with the version 2.0, which afaik is the version used by the consoles.

Even so, it does use more ALU than not having it. Thus the port is not just the same game running at higher resolution, which is the argument that TLOU and other last gen ports should easily run at 1080P/60Hz, if the engine doesn't have another shortcoming that would make it impossible, like Dead Nation.

Users on NeoGAF claiming it´s native 1080p, not 720p as written in the article:

I just forced my PS3 down to 720p output and it's nowhere near as crisp as 1080p. The text looks fucked, the models are nowhere near as crisp and there's big jaggies on the map.

I'll try and do some direct feed capture... but either this game is native or there's some incredible upscaling going on. Either way, Digital Foundry should've commented on it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107005346&postcount=7

Can anyone check this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107006480&postcount=29

Calm down, the article is updated. Not everything is worth frothing at the mouth. If you force 1080, you get that resolution with no AA.

The article is updated now.

Update: There's also a native 1080p mode too, which operates without the benefits of any AA at all, engaged by setting the XMB to 1080p

/ Ken

Not everything is worth frothing at the mouth.

True, however Eurogamer / Digital Foundry have been terrible lately at getting resolutions and post processing effects correct. Usually updating their information after board members or secondary sites have pointed out their error(s).

Calm down, the article is updated. Not everything is worth frothing at the mouth.
FATBOT was neither uncalm nor forthing at the mouth, he was just quoting NeoGAF's forum. All he wrote was:
"Users on NeoGAF claiming it´s native 1080p, not 720p as written in the article:
Can anyone check this:"

Indeed. Curiously, the environment shadow in the 4th shadow is a heckuva lot sharper on 360 (left of the reticle). Looks like they changed the shadow method?

Some other differences like different normal map altogether on the titan digits (hand) at the bottom of the same image. There's also a lack of AO in the weapon textures there - some of the details look a bit funny though minor.

Will have to see how the visual effects hold up (smoke etc), but it largely looks intact.

They seemed to have done a great job while Respawn has done less than stellar with 6-10x the resources.
It's probably wasn't the best development environment. Leaving Activision, continued litigation, recruitment, new publisher, new engine, platform exclusive rights sprung on them. All it lacks for a complete disaster movie was a plague of locusts and some flying monkeys.

Not bad all things considered!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised at how blurry the 360 version looks, and also how close the X1 version looks to 1080P, despite being ~1/2 the pixels.

wZL92ze.png

360 version is ~600k pixels, X1 around 1.1m, and PC ~2m

Yet to me the 360 version is very blurry while PC and X1 look fairly close at a glance, and there's a huge gap between 360:pC/X1, but only a small gap PC>X1.

At least in pictures. I wonder if the deficiency in the 360 version is much less noticeable when viewed live on a HDTV.

From someone who has actually played TF, I think Respawn did a great job, all things considered. Performance is good, graphics, while not mind blowing, are not bad at all, but most importantly, they pretty much nailed the game play. Overall, it's a damn good first effort. It's nice to see it selling well. It certainly deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back