Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the PS4 version undoubtedly has superior resolution and HBAO, it has more pixels, but to me the IQ shows the Xbox One version has less pixels but superior quality pixels. :eek: -if that's a fad, or it is going to be the trend this generation I wouldn't complain-

I mean the Anisotropic Filtering seems to be better implemented on the Xbox One and the lighting has an extra touch, the blur is not present. (besides that, as some people pointed out, the hardware scaler on the Xbox One seems to be doing a good job)

http://imageshack.us/a/img30/3198/g73u.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/4721/ux7k.png

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/10-29-2013/Cga4zT.gif

http://i.imgur.com/7oXBxrq.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/5310/8n11.png

In fact, if we hadn't known about the resolution and the framerate, AA, HBAO, most people would think the Xbox One version looks great if not better.

Won't take anything from DF at this point until they update their source.

I agree that's a pretty good comparison ... for a GIF image of course, which doesn't have a huge number of colors available, unless I missed some exciting recent development in the GIF specs. ;)

youtube compression at work, PS4 have more information in image than crushed Xbone one and as result Xbone side looks better ... good comparison is this

The xbone screenshot seems to have been FXAA'ed to death.

Have to be carful where images and gifs come from as it seems that some have been doctored in various ways.
Cant say about the authenticity of the gif, but the PS4 side seems to not be as blurry as other images I've seen.

youtube compression at work, PS4 have more information in image than crushed Xbone one and as result Xbone side looks better ... good comparison is this
Funny, as I remember seeing a similar gif which hinted at the Xbox One version looking a bit less washed out. I don't know how legitimate that pic is, because in the gif I mentioned the Xbox One version -the grass at least- looks the same as the grass in the gif.

I think this generation is going to be one of the most interesting generations yet, if not the most fascinating ever.

Yeah, did the guy just crawl out from his rock? Welcome to the past 7 years with the PS3 and 360 prepare for another 10 years of the same. Why even bother linking to a tweet like that in this thread that is pretty much dedicated to just doing that :)

That's exactly why I linked it here ;)

Just having a bit of fun. I do think he's right, though I have no issue with it if you're looking at the pics and reading about the differences out of curiosity. There's the other type of people that have their priorities a little out of whack.

I have to say, watching the videos of the games, at times I think it looks incredibly good, and other times where it doesn't look as good as I'd thought it would. Seems like they did a very good job for a launch title though.

This GIF looks doctored to me...I'll do some grabs, will update.
AT7sr3U.png

The X1 portion in the GIF look legit, though I sharpened a portion of it to simulate the "look"

SGzkuiB.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly why I linked it here ;)

Just having a bit of fun. I do think he's right, though I have no issue with it if you're looking at the pics and reading about the differences out of curiosity. There's the other type of people that have their priorities a little out of whack.

I have to say, watching the videos of the games, at times I think it looks incredibly good, and other times where it doesn't look as good as I'd thought it would. Seems like they did a very good job for a launch title though.

BF3 was my first Origin game, and it was a disaster, only when i bought the EA humble pack did i find out Origin wasn't to blame but BF3's stupid Browser plugin was.

I hope there is a demo for the Consoles, or chances are that i wont try this game before it's in some used game given away basket, PC version wont be bought, burnt once :)

Have to be carful where images and gifs come from as it seems that some have been doctored in various ways.
Cant say about the authenticity of the gif, but the PS4 side seems to not be as blurry as other images I've seen.

That's a photoshoped screenshot from ign video.

It's odd though that only DF images seem to contain that same level of blur on the PS4 capture, the black crush on the XB1 is apparent in ryse as well so that is probably as it will be. I'm happy with the resolution and framerate but I think I'll hold judgement until the release reviews are done.

Wow. For launch X1 is doing fantastic given the complexity of getting the most out of the ESRAM.

X1 framerate is 95% as good as PS4
X1 anti-aliasing/resolution is worse
X1 textures are sharper and less blurry

This is much better than Madden running at half-framerate on PS3 at launch and we all know how that worked out...

For all intents and purposes X1 and PS4 are going to be very close this generation.

What I don´t understand in this screenshot one the Xbox-part is this:
There are 3 display-panes, one "designated" for Hud-Display (if I remember correctly). So it should be possible to draw the texts (i.e. above the minimap) in 1080p because it is seperate from the game-rendering.

How come all texts are so blurry?

JackFrags is using an AVerMedia Device for capturing his videos. All of his captures demonstrate a noticeable cleaner image than DF's do, on both the XB1 and the PS4.

JackFrags is using an AVerMedia Device for capturing his videos. All of his captures demonstrate a noticeable cleaner image than DF's do, on both the XB1 and the PS4.

No they dont. All of them are on yt, both are heavily compressed.

He also hasnt released any direct feed screenshots to really compare.

Stupid conspiracy theories should be bannable imho.

Uhm, lets not get into a full on system comparison especially on games that have not been analysed by Digital Foundry.

Uhm, lets not get into a full on system comparison especially on games that have not been analysed by Digital Foundry.

If that was directed to me, the point of the post is the DF "results" may run contrary to perception by the general audience. Moreover, my statements needed context, hence the other games listed. In the post above, I was actually being extremely generous to the PS4 version of BF.

Yes, but this is the 'DF technical discussion' not the 'subjective discussion' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back