Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digital Foundry claims the blur comes from poor upscaling by the PS4 version.

That's odd because the JackFrags videos suffer none of the same symptoms. The PS4 footage is not muted, and not blurry. The MP portion looks better than the XB1 SP portion.

I think DF have just messed up the capture on both platforms.

Digital Foundry claims the blur comes from poor upscaling by the PS4 version.

And they also claim that there is post sharpening happening on the Xbone version, they even have screens showing it creating artifacts. I am sure u have read it fully.

Btw, wheres repi when u need him !

RYSE is only available on XOne and it isn't a multiplatform game...
Oh okay. So you hate blur but as there's no way to experience Ryse without it, you didn't care to mention it. I suppose you'd actually prefer Ryse without AA and without blur then.

I expect a technical interview with someone like Repi to explain the differences, the why's and the wherefores. It's certainly curious that we have two 900p games with high AA and blur. That could just be a coincidence; I can't see any obvious reason for it (720p ought to be more blurred if just an upscaling artefact).

Both versions look surprisingly bad to me, although 60fps is somewhat of a remedy.
KZSF, The Order, Ryse and some other games I've seen all have better image quality.

The sharpening is also a terrible choice IMHO. All in all this game looks quite rushed as well...

In terms of image quality at least, the priority just has been different - for Battlefield, they chose to go for 60fps, and have worked up the image quality as the engine's performance improved on the respective hardware platforms. For something like Killzone 3, they've probably focussed earlier at going for 1080p, and then had 60fps as a secondary target, choosing perhaps to fall back on a temporal decrease in resolution when things get hectic.

I think considering a multi-platform release, Battlefield 4 so far may be the best? Though I don't know how well Need for Speed Rivals stacks up - looks quite nice as well, but I think it shares tech?

So that makes the blur OK? It's acceptable for exclusives to be blurry but not multi-platform(s)...

It's not about it being "OK" it's about it being the only option to play the game in.

Oh okay. So you hate blur but as there's no way to experience Ryse without it, you didn't care to mention it. I suppose you'd actually prefer Ryse without AA and without blur then.

I expect a technical interview with someone like Repi to explain the differences, the why's and the wherefores. It's certainly curious that we have two 900p games with high AA and blur. That could just be a coincidence; I can't see any obvious reason for it (720p ought to be more blurred if just an upscaling artefact).

RYSE utilizes blur at times but to try and compare a constant layer of blur from BF4 on PS4 to this is a little much don't you think?

ibluLZMmh5QYWB.png

iuv1z1reo5KQr.png

Last edited by a moderator:
why is RYSE in this thread now?

The ppoint was that X1 has a unexplained Post process sharpening going on while PS4 has a blurring going on. Both need explanation and are up in the air right now.

BTW, GT is so gung ho about the game in its review :p ! Gets me all pumped up whever I hear the BF3/4 theme music !

why is RYSE in this thread now?

The ppoint was that X1 has a unexplained Post process sharpening going on while PS4 has a blurring going on. Both need explanation and are up in the air right now.

BTW, GT is so gung ho about the game in its review :p ! Gets me all pumped up whever I hear the BF3/4 theme music !

It is not about the pp sharpening of the X1 version....imo.

The question is why the PS4 version is so blurry?!?

Firstly I'm suprised how great the game looked. I hadn't appreciated how incredible the graphics were until I saw these comparisons.

Secondly I'm suprised the differences between all 3 platforms are so great. I was expecting much less but the PS4 seems to have a clear advantage over XBO - although that will be diminished greatly once HBOA is added in assuming it doesn't further impact framerate.

The PC also has a nice leg up on both. Not only for the increased image quality but there were clearly geometry, particle, lighting and draw distance differences in the PS4 vs PC video. I didn't expect there to be so much difference to be honest.

C'mon now, I just provided images above and they all show the blur of the PS4 version. The PC is the most clear but for some reason the textures look the best on XOne.

It is not about the pp sharpening of the X1 version....imo.

The question is why the PS4 version is so blurry?!?

This nothing more than wrong black/white levels on both platforms. White crush makes PS4 version look worse than black crush. At "balanced" XONE levels:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87923429&postcount=834

Hm...now I am confused as hell?!?

DF messed up? Seems so...the crushed blacks on the X1 version are not present in other captures I saw.

But the blur in the PS4 version...I am not sure, as L.Scofield already said...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back