Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are talking as if there no room for improvement on PS4 as well.

Saying the xbo has "more room to improve" implies the ps4 will also improve of course, I don't know how you read the opposite. I'm just saying the curve for xbo will steeper early on as devs learn the xbo and it's more unique architecture better. The ease of development the ps4 enjoys also means they are able to utilize the available power easier now.

Expected differences to be bigger, i'm quite surprised.

AA and resolution cuts were to be expected, HBAO is just one effect that missing, so in terms of settings both consoles have more or less parity.

It's pretty huge by resolution alone. I mean Xbone is practically current gen in regards to that and really shows in the gifs.Basically everything is less refined and has massive jaggies from it. I also noticed more dust particles at the seagull scene.

That'd require a far bigger performance deficit than 50%! You under-appreciated what 50% means.

Dunno, res change alone from 720p to 900p should require about 30% more GPU power, not 50% in my opinion. I personally expected similar features set with res difference in titles two years for now, not at launch.

It also means that generally in multiplatform 30hz titles we should see PS4 versions being native 1080p and Xbone ones being 900p with same fidelity.

Dunno, res change alone from 720p to 900p should require about 30% more GPU power, not 50% in my opinion. I personally expected similar features set with res difference in titles two years for now, not at launch.

It also means that generally in multiplatform 30hz titles we should see PS4 versions being native 1080p and Xbone ones being 900p with same fidelity.

In your opinion 56% more pixels should only require 30% more power, despite the fact that rendering more pixels generally requires more then just the extra power to render them.

Saying the xbo has "more room to improve" implies the ps4 will also improve of course, I don't know how you read the opposite. I'm just saying the curve for xbo will steeper early on as devs learn the xbo and it's more unique architecture better. The ease of development the ps4 enjoys also means they are able to utilize the available power easier now.

Yeah I misread you and actually edit the post but you were faster and quoted me anyway.
I am very slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
In your opinion 56% more pixels should only require 30% more power, despite the fact that rendering more pixels generally requires more then just the extra power to render them.

I dont get 56% less fps with 56% resolution increase. So yeah i do.
Not everything is framebuffer dependent.

I dont get 56% less fps with 56% resolution increase. So yeah i do.
Not everything is framebuffer dependent.

thats because you aren't ALU bound. Theres still 56% more work. Its just that your using more of something that you have in abundance, therefore you don't get a drastic drop or any at all. it still takes the same amount of cycles/work units to do.

So why can't Repi shed some light in regard to this cluster mess of a comparison? I wonder if things would change a bit before launch day tho.

XOne version looks pretty good, I can't stand the constant vaseline layer on PS4.

jA8si7yqSXPdI.jpg

jAKDors1ceEHp.png
jTtrjX96JXDMN.png

jRdfSz8vFKjqA.png
j3LuLFUeaymSf.png

It seems the PS4 version has better AA but the texture quality and clarity of the picture is better on Xbox One.

jEWRt8SRk9tyy.png

cluster mess of a comparison? When did people say cluster mess anyway? I suddenly saw it last week and now it's all over the place.

Looks like they might have got the Xbox One capture a bit screwed up in terms of gamma, but otherwise the comparison looks pretty much straight up. Now we know AO comes to Xbox One, so with the exception of an appreciable resolution difference and minor frame rate differences, everything else appears equal. If you absolutely need a jaggy-less image, then PS4 is the way to go, otherwise I'd say there are a lot of other things you could base a purchase decision on.

I'm expecting that these digital foundry comparisons will lose a lot of their fanboy warring, thankfully, because the results are going to be just about the same from game to game. More resolution on PS4 or more framerate, all else being equal. PS4 will basically win them all, and hopefully that'll will make the fanboys take a chill pill and stop fighting about it. I'd still like to see them written because they're interesting.

Both versions look surprisingly bad to me, although 60fps is somewhat of a remedy.
KZSF, The Order, Ryse and some other games I've seen all have better image quality.

The sharpening is also a terrible choice IMHO. All in all this game looks quite rushed as well...

XOne version looks pretty good, I can't stand the constant vaseline layer on PS4.
That's curious, as you've mentioned no criticism of the blur on Ryse. I wonder if they are both using similar, aggressive post AA methods with a heavy toll on textures? What I don't understand is why employ two different AA solutions? I'd expect them to be the same, either as blurry as each other, or as sharp as each other. Maybe the higher resolution of PS4 was considered suitably enough to accommodate a higher degree of blurring, as stretched to the same screen size at 1080p, XB1 will exhibit increased additional softening which may have been far too much. Or maybe the AA is just different in these preview builds and they'll be normalised on release?

Its all gamma difference. Unless you are arguing XONE looks better than PC

I dont know if Xbox output is sharpened as a default but you can adjust your TV for PS4 if you like that sort of thing. Of course it sharpens all the imperfections like DF said

That's curious, as you've mentioned no criticism of the blur on Ryse. I wonder if they are both using similar, aggressive post AA methods with a heavy toll on textures? What I don't understand is why employ two different AA solutions? I'd expect them to be the same, either as blurry as each other, or as sharp as each other. Maybe the higher resolution of PS4 was considered suitably enough to accommodate a higher degree of blurring, as stretched to the same screen size at 1080p, XB1 will exhibit increased additional softening which may have been far too much. Or maybe the AA is just different in these preview builds and they'll be normalised on release?

RYSE is only available on XOne and it isn't a multiplatform game...

All of those comparison images I've posted are from 1080p captures.

Its all gamma difference. Unless you are arguing XONE looks better than PC

C'mon now, I just provided images above and they all show the blur of the PS4 version. The PC is the most clear but for some reason the textures look the best on XOne.

Well, if i'm not mistaken PS4 still has HDCP protection. There are some video recorders that bypass it but offer less IQ. Maybe that's the answer to some of our questons.

There have been a few complaints about this. The HDCP means that you can't do a direct capture. Look at the clarity of the Drive Club captures from the PS4 for comparison.

Perhaps the capture method is introducing a blur into the signal. Like trying to capture HDMI via S-Video :LOL:

I normally turn ao off because it usually introduces blur. Surely when its enabled on Xbox one that will also have a "Vaseline layer".

Its the post sharpening on X1. Right now it isn't clear if its being done in Frostbite or by the X1 upscaler. Maybe Repi should point it out to us.

http://i.minus.com/jA8si7yqSXPdI.jpg[/IMG]

http://i.minus.com/jAKDors1ceEHp.png[/IMG]http://i.minus.com/jTtrjX96JXDMN.png
http://i.minus.com/jRdfSz8vFKjqA.pnghttp://i.minus.com/j3LuLFUeaymSf.png

It seems the PS4 version has better AA but the texture quality and clarity of the picture is better on Xbox One.

http://i.minus.com/jEWRt8SRk9tyy.png

DF admitted that their capture of Xbone version was borked by tweaking unknown hardware:

"The issue here is simple; Tom had a limited amount of time to capture this stuff and was not able to do so in a normal environment. If mistakes were made normally, it would be easy to go back and correct, but with the way this worked, it wasn't really possible.

Why so different? DF uses their own hardware for capturing while DICE were handing out Elgato boxes to everyone else. The DF hardware is actually much more capable but it works differently and, without the experience of working with these new consoles, I can see a situation where settings were dialed in wrong.

JackFrags used what DICE provided and probably didn't even attempt to change any settings which, in this case, turned out to be for the best."

So, look for other sources of videos, dont use DF content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back