Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain what's wrong with ps3 hardware & UE3 engine lately, especially in the cutscene? I have in mind a lot of the others multiplat engine, but UE3 seems turn worst compared to Ubisoft, DiCE or even Rockstar (Max payne 3). I missed the reason why give so much trouble on ps3 hardware.:???:

Can anyone explain what's wrong with ps3 hardware & UE3 engine lately, especially in the cutscene? I have in mind a lot of the others multiplat engine, but UE3 seems turn worst compared to Ubisoft, DiCE or even Rockstar (Max payne 3). I missed the reason why give so much trouble on ps3 hardware.:???:

"lately"? That's always been the case for PS3 if you look back. It may be that UE3 at its core is not tailored for PS3's hardware. Aka Its more ram dependent, it can use xenos's advantages more efficiently in regards to performance in comparison to the RSX, things like that.

Its not as simple as "lazy devs" or whatnot. Its why PS3 gets a majority of multiplatform games pretty subpar.

I take it we're making a mountain out of a mole hill again. Judging by the videos, DmC seems like a near cross platform match to me. It even has sharper textures on the PS3. That's actually a first with UE3 as far as I can recall.

If anything UE3 performance is now significantly better on the PS3 than it ever was. (not to mention it's significantly more stable here than it was in Sony's very own Sorcery game. Now that's something you can hardly blame on multi-platform development)

"lately"? That's always been the case for PS3 if you look back. It may be that UE3 at its core is not tailored for PS3's hardware. Aka Its more ram dependent, it can use xenos's advantages more efficiently in regards to performance in comparison to the RSX, things like that.

Its not as simple as "lazy devs" or whatnot. Its why PS3 gets a majority of multiplatform games pretty subpar.
Yeah, lately. Dynamic shaft or SSAO are pared back most of the times, fps suffer more or we have a lot tearing, this is something which appears more frequently lately where the others multiplat engine are more close; I don't understand what has of different UE3 engine.

^ PS3 has always had certain weaknesses displayed across a majority of engines. Devs have gotten better at achieving parity when they really want to, but the hardware still has bottlenecks in those areas.

Lol, just read a PC benchmark and it seems that a 670 at 1080 is 200 Hz minimum. Lol at current consoles...

Whenever people say that i just kinda shake my head. What do you expect from an 8 year old device? Is it really that funny or amusing?

What we should be anticipating is what being released from the constraints of 8 year old devices this year will do to improve games.

I'm sure both nextbox and PS4 no matter what they have in them could run DMC at 60fps fairly easily.

^ PS3 has always had certain weaknesses displayed across a majority of engines. Devs have gotten better at achieving parity when they really want to, but the hardware still has bottlenecks in those areas.

With all respect it's a generic response.

Indeed, it is a generic response, but only because it is the truth. Certain engines built exclusively for PS3 like Crystal tools perform much better on it in comparison to 360, but these are an exception to the rule.

Indeed, it is a generic response, but only because it is the truth. Certain engines built exclusively for PS3 like Crystal tools perform much better on it in comparison to 360, but these are an exception to the rule.

I'm not so sure to understand the connection here :???: But in any case is not the response who I need, I was more interested in something more deeper.

I'm not so sure to understand the connection here :???: But in any case is not the response who I need, I was more interested in something more deeper.

I'm curious as to why you feel it should be different. After years of multi-plat games showing an advantage for the 360 you continue to be surprised.

My guess is that you feel the PS3 to be superior to the 360 and can't reconcile when comparison face-offs show that it is not.

Exclusive 1st party games play to the PS3 strengths without having to worry compatibility with different architectures. Multi-plat games for the most part appear to lean towards the 360 strengths.

For graphics tasks I doubt the ram advantage is that significant. Deferred rendering works well on PS3 and G-buffers are costly in terms of memory. We've also seen examples of games with large levels perform better on PS3 in some cases, NFS: Most Wanted being a recent example.

I don't think there's any mystery to it, UE3 runs better on Xbox 360 because Epic's most successful franchise is an Xbox exclusive. Three exclusive titles for the 360 vs none for the PS3. Imagine all that effort sunk into to getting the more and more performance out of the 360 without having to worry about the PS3.

BTW I think a developer on this very board once suggested that parity with the 360 wasn't exactly a priority for Epic back during the UT3 days.

For graphics tasks I doubt the ram advantage is that significant. Deferred rendering works well on PS3 and G-buffers are costly in terms of memory. We've also seen examples of games with large levels perform better on PS3 in some cases, NFS: Most Wanted being a recent example.

I don't think there's any mystery to it, UE3 runs better on Xbox 360 because Epic's most successful franchise is an Xbox exclusive. Three exclusive titles for the 360 vs none for the PS3. Imagine all that effort sunk into to getting the more and more performance out of the 360 without having to worry about the PS3.

BTW I think a developer on this very board once suggested that parity with the 360 wasn't exactly a priority for Epic back during the UT3 days.

Most Wanted uses the Criterion's custom engine and every game from them thus far used the PS3 as the lead platform so some kind of better optimization on the PS3 hardware must be a reality as well...so saying that the PS3 runs open world games better is again coming down to which console is the lead platform - for example look at RDR, Skyrim, Fallout 3, GTAIV & Just Cause 2 that run better at the 360...how can we be sure about which system is better at open world games and if 360's unified ram has any real advantage? as I see it, it depends almost exclusively on which platform is the lead.

Projects like Dead Space 2, Battlefield 3 & Hitman Absolution that look and run almost 99.9% identical are rare cases and probably comes down to excellent optimization for both systems from the devs using each systems pros and cons as effectively as they can.

Even if the differences are quite small they're there most of the time when there is a lead platform, even Vanquish that run on an engine that was designed around the 360's hardware and made great use of the edram and unified ram on Bayonetta 360 run better on the PS3 since it was a PS3 led project...this should tell you that developing with one system in mind and then porting is more important than how much an engine is optimized for a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back