Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last three comparisons either favoured the PS3 or were dead even. I do think the reporting on certain issues is inconsistent, for example the sparks issue on the PS3 version of NFS:MW was mentioned earlier in the article as a bug but was summarized as a pared back feature. There's also claims in the comment section of motion blur being applied on the PS3 in instances where neither the 360 or PC version feature it, but this isn't mentioned in the face-off.

I've also found that the texture and LOD disparity between the PS3 and 360 versions of MOH:Warfighter is neither obvious nor clearly pointed out in DF's comparison shots, though it's one of the main points in their summary.

Overall though there aren't extreme cases of bias equivalent to Lens of Truth comparing Warfighter on PS3 to the Xbox 360 version minus the HD texture pack.

Me too. I mean, they are talking too of worse texture resolution & grass on ps3 but they don't show any shot to prove this. I'm not saying they are liars but what is the point to argue of something without shows it:???: Would been more interesting to see a deeper comparison.

So I'm being silly when I pointed out the obvious? No one on the planet knows 100% inside out about this engine except for their lead engine programmer for obvious reason, but some stuffs don't take an expert to notice. Maybe you're the one who should simply admit the fact that there are no cascaded shadow maps for the environment in Halo 4.

I'm confused, when did I ever say otherwise?

Richard and Alex, may I request you guys do a Halo 3-to-Halo Reach-to-Halo 4 evolution piece? That would be more interesting and useful as seeing most recent games are less about getting new techniques to work but finding the right budgets and compromises to get the most out of the visuals.

Getting an evolution of the franchise on the 360 would be very cool.

I'm more confused than you are by accused of not knowing what I am talking about in regards to shadows.

So what's so silly about it?
You've stated that is if it were an exception. It's like saying: look, this human has two legs and both are of equal length! But we've clearly seen people with one leg shorter than the other: Nathan Drake had one for example.

And yeah, this example sucks - having two legs of equal length is actually beneficial. :) But you should get the idea that it's not about whether lack of CSMs is factually correct or not but whether it's so extraordinary to point it out. It's like saying: oh yeah? And Halo 4 is not ray-traced! Or: look, this game does some effects in screen space! Yeah, most games do. It also uses textures and models made out of triangles. What should be pointed out in technical discussions are things that are interesting and unique. Complete lack of shadows would be unique (and would probably suck). 100% real time shadows would be something people would point out. That's the thing you're not getting.

^ yup, not to mention the shadowing works similarly to prior Halo games, so why focus so much on them when it's been a characteristic of the engine for years.

yup, not to mention the shadowing works similarly to prior Halo games, so why focus so much on them when it's been a characteristic of the engine for years.
oh oh oh easy question can I answer sir
(jump)
(jump)
(jump hands up)
- you may answer
yes as kagemaru saiz its been behind (rugby analogy) well retarded (looked it up in the dictionary) for years so why should we suddenly it chance now
(HAL we've moved on in the last 5 years+)
- no fair, LOGIC is not allowed!

oh oh oh easy question can I answer sir
(jump)
(jump)
(jump hands up)
- you may answer
yes as kagemaru saiz its been behind (rugby analogy) well retarded (looked it up in the dictionary) for years so why should we suddenly it chance now
(HAL we've moved on in the last 5 years+)
- no fair, LOGIC is not allowed!

Between the three major releases this Gen, the renderer has had three iterations by two different teams. Yet outside of some tweaks and minor improvements, the shadows have similar drawbacks in all three games. IMO there are reasons why this is the case and there's no telling what may have to be compromised to switch from this "retarded" (seriously?) shadowing. So with all this said, you actually think it's logical to assume changing the techniques used would be so easy or even the smartest choice on the same hardware? Or are you one of the people here who's real issue with the game is the team and the hardware the game is running on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Franchise shitting and the constant, misplaced trumpeting about Uncharted et al by Zealot class* Elite* console warriors reaches fever pitch around the release of Halo games. It's really not helping anyone to do or understand anything.

The reason why Digital Foundry haven't done face-offs between heavily scripted on-rails platform shooters and a 4 player co-op FPS with large semi-sandbox areas featuring many classes of enemies and vehicles is probably the same reason why less talented people shouldn't try and do it here.

*Yes, a Halo reference! I couldn't think how to slip in an Arbiter reference though.

heard someone posted on gaf that the blur shows up after the patch, it wasnt blurry before patch.

That would explain the NowGamer comparison I just watched, which shows two versions of the game that look almost exactly alike (though the 360 version there has the wrong color gamut settings for that capture card)

heard someone posted on gaf that the blur shows up after the patch, it wasnt blurry before patch.
It being a bug makes some sense of a truly ghastly blur. It's similar to a gaussian blur applied indiscriminately to the whole image. You don't need a fancy AA algorithm to do that. ;)

Article was updated:

Unpatched:
nopatch.png

Patched:
patch.png

Been finding a number of shots indicative of 832x624 or thereabouts. Wonder if it's dynamic.

I don't understand why everytime Treyarch has so many problems to develop on the ps3 version... last BLOPS has the same issue in the netcode & now this AA, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back