Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.9 GBs versus 7.7? Why so small on XB360? They could surely shrink it just a bit. 7.7 GBs is right about the capacity of a 360 DVD, so why the difference?

As said below, there's a reasonable bit of performance penalty if you use dual layer versus single layer DVD (unlike, say, on BluRay).

like a lot of ps3 games, they probably have the installation data duplicate, cuz space isn't an issue on BD. Unless the PSN version is also 7 gigs.

anybody else trust df faceoffs a little less now that leadbetter no longer writes them?

still awesome work and by far the gold standard of multiplatform comparison of course. thank goodness we dont have to rely on the likes of ign (insider feature) head to head like last gen. or lens of truth this gen (which is still way better than ign was)...

just miss the long analysis articles on those big first party exclusive, but expecting some more for Halo 4, last of Us and Beyond 2 souls. I think we probably won't see ports like ghost buster anymore, most important comparison will be the performance. Especially when a lot of multiplatform games also get a PC version nowdays, anyone that is really serious about getting the best version should be looking at the pc version automatically.

anybody else trust df faceoffs a little less now that leadbetter no longer writes them?

still awesome work and by far the gold standard of multiplatform comparison of course. thank goodness we dont have to rely on the likes of ign (insider feature) head to head like last gen. or lens of truth this gen (which is still way better than ign was)...

Unless someone gives me a reason to doubt them, I don't trust them any less. All I need to know are noticeable differences and performance.

ERP said:
[strike]Great artists and good tools[/strike] An army of reasonably competent people can overcome an enormously poor engine implementation, and all you can really compare is the final product.
Fixed - poor-engines generally come with poor tools as well. :p
Of course the point stands - observation tells you precious little about underlying software or technology, let alone hardware specific limitations.

Even if you had access to detailed profiling information, it's hard to say much without knowing the context of specific implementation. Not that this is a slight against what DF does - it may sound obvious but it's a concept hard to grasp even for many people working in the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought the 360 DVD drive had faster read speeds than the PS3's Bluray drive?

Yes, and this is why the PS3 version has a mandatory install. This is something that is a sales risk (and frowned upon by MS) on the 360 though as the 360 still has the Arcade model that comes without a HDD, so generally extra effort is made to make it run decently from the optical drive.

Yes, and this is why the PS3 version has a mandatory install. This is something that is a sales risk (and frowned upon by MS) on the 360 though as the 360 still has the Arcade model that comes without a HDD, so generally extra effort is made to make it run decently from the optical drive.

Oh, I didn't read that the PS3 version had a mandatory install.

They should have used the whole dual layer disc for the 360 version and just made use of the HDD where available as a cache to help with the texture streaming
For the Arcade models they should have just gone with poorer texture quality/streaming performance and longer load times as games like BF3 have done.

It's a better compromise than compressing the hell out of the assets to get the game onto a single DVD layer, to the detriment of HDD owners (who are usually traditional gamers, and are likely to be the majority of people buying the game anyway)

There is some gnarly texture compression even on the PC version, which is disappointing. The "painted" look mostly gets by fine, but there are definitely some eye sores here and there.

This is an example of the first results from the WiiU, technically wise, compared to their siblings.

I don't think it's possible to know the native resolution of the game using these images, but just in case.

ZZG3c.jpg

uIKGO.jpg

This is an example of the first results from the WiiU, technically wise, compared to their siblings.

I don't think it's possible to know the native resolution of the game using these images, but just in case.

ZZG3c.jpg

uIKGO.jpg

Quite peculiar differences. Slight difference in object placement? Some small changes in the art and lighting? Slightly blurrier image?

This is old news.

Those pictures are from an over four months old Digital Foundry article, see:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-wiiu-e3-2012

;)

Those pictures are available in higher resolution in the Digital Foundry article mentioned above ;).

where are the more objects?

If you look at the DF article you can see there's more water towers, flags, banners and other things present.

Definitely an increase in texture detail

WiiU_000.png

360_000.png

Can see there's a few more water towers here and there and other little things

WiiU_001.png

360_001.png

The courtroom scene is an in-engine recording btw. On PC there are two sets of FMV with different resolution/quality (higher one is 1080p).

The third water tower in the lower left is actually displaced. The only additional geometry in the WiiU capture are the medical center banners and the far off smoke stack (not visible on PC either) in the far back lower left. Looks like a couple buildings changed beside the left banner (two prison towers gone, one square building in place). Wonder if this is a change to the city layout.

The chain link fences are completely missing in the background and even the giant wall is gone too. If you check below the one water tower, you can see that there's some geometry missing there including the electrical generator, door, and the wall protrusion (that has the different texture seen in the other veresions). Texture LOD is certainly better on the tower. Maybe it's a bug, but there are a number of lamps missing from the prison walls too.

Doom 3 BFG EDITION Face-off . Apparently the results are impressive, especially the framerate. :smile: Yay! That's the most important thing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-doom-3-bfg-edition-face-off

Thankfully the craze for simple PC ports masquerading as "HD remasters" appears to be over, but it's gratifying that in bringing Doom 3 to console, id has put the work in here. In Carmack's own words, the firm knew that farming out the game to a sub-contractor would result in sub-optimal results, so it carried out the conversion itself and the results are generally impressive - especially when it comes to frame-rate, where Doom 3: BFG Edition targets a 60 frames per second update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back