Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2011]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Shifty, I believe you truncated the rude/leading part of the statement (not question mark): "if GI would be in GeOW3 he will wrote 2 pages about it ;)"

In the context of the flow of discussion the UNSUBSTANTIATED dismissal of a media source as biased/showing preferential platform treatment and comments like that are far out of place and the statement, proposing that GI may be limited to 2 titles, is BS and not appropriate to the spirit of these forums. As a former mod to a mod ;)

And yes, I do find it extremely irritating that, when a non-affiliated party with no apparent horse in the race, gets unfairly marginalized as standard behavior. It is unprofessional and doesn't extend good will to developers or industry insiders--the best features of B3D's community.

As a DF thread I feel the above criticism is completely inline with this thread as well: At what point did it become clear that gamemaster (Richard) is showing the sort of bias that fairly generates the sort of digs and snide remarks in this thread?

I honestly don't read most of this articles (maybe 6 or 7, and his vids play poorly on my system) so maybe I am missing something? But based on his knowledge base and how much is disclosed to him, he seems a fairly objective observer with his own background/criteria for breaking down images.

Or is he a MS shill in disguise as some of the posts here indicate?

Ps- And I could be wrong, because BF3 is the first title I remember going to their sight, Lensoftruth has the reputation like a N4G "click spamming" but even then, if they are producing valid data sets to evaluate and offset with further information (e.g. filtering out where they may not have been very objected) it doesn't matter unless they have doctored data or been overtly misleading in their analysis in the past (in which case they should be a non-discussion worthy site here).

After playing the game again last night, there certainly doesn't seem to be any sort of dynamic GI at work. It looks like your standard combination of pre-baked lightmaps/vertex lighting combined with diffuse/specular environment probes for the dynamic objects.

Uncharted does have full dynamic lighting, whenever the characters carry torches around in otherwise completely dark environments - it's the only way to do it, after all ;)

But I agree, the rest of the lighting does look like it has a lot of precomputed elements.

today ive beaten the game on 3rd time (crushing) and replayed the yemen level 5x time because of "GI" ... the GI is looking like fake after all or its working only from floor? but i thnik they are using to many light sources with matched color of textures?

one example is:

when you chasing the bad guy :) in yemen the dust/fog particles are red like the color of the wall even on the characters are changing the lighting conditions ...

or in the market (at begining of the level) the blueish sheet is casting real blue light on all surfaces and on drake too

only ND can tell :idea:

Uncharted does have full dynamic lighting, whenever the characters carry torches around in otherwise completely dark environments - it's the only way to do it, after all ;)

But I agree, the rest of the lighting does look like it has a lot of precomputed elements.

Yeah I was mainly talking about indirect lighting, however there also seem to be a few cases where they also baked the direct lighting for static geometry (mainly area lights like windows, which are hard to do in real time).

GI in RT or not the lighting is simply amazing, for me globally one or probably the best utilization in current gen.

If it still has MSAA it's still got a leg up on many other games, just so long as you're comparing moving images rather than static screen grabs.

Yeah, it's 2xAA still, though it seems to get borked a lot on PS3 from the images I've seen (aside from overlap issues with the lower res alpha), though I suppose that's nothing mind blowing since a few CoDs ago.

Thats strange because MW2 used low res alpha but there were no issues with huge edges from intersecting with geometry.

Pretty sure MW2 used full buffer alpha. I'll go check the DF article...

What is curious is that in PS3 development in general, this whole transparency/bandwidth issue has had the edge taken off it to some degree through the widescale use of lower-resolution buffers that are then scaled up when rendering the frame. The result is that while effects like explosions, flames and smoke are a lower resolution, the human eye finds it difficult to tell the difference up against a full resolution buffer. Just about everyone is using this technique - even the most talented of Sony's first-party developers. Indeed, even the Call of Duty team in Treyarch used this technique in the alpha-heavy World at War. But Infinity Ward has not, the buffer sizes appear to be an exact match for the Xbox 360 game, and we can't help but feel that this has a lot to do with the performance difference.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-modern-warfare-2-face-off?page=3

Thanks for the MW3 article. It is very interesting that the PC version is comaparable to the console version which is just crap in my opinion because it means the developers just slacked off. *sigh* I am finding it harder and harder nowadays to justify purchasing top of the line video cards. Sure there are games like BF3 but I really hope more and more start coming out that push the PC to the next level. Crysis 2 was going to fall in to the category but then they lost all my respect with the DX 11 patch and the ridiculous tesselation fiasco.

There's something else going on with the texture or shader LOD in that scene with the buildings in the background while you're swimming around the ocean. Crazy crazy shimmering on PS3. :|

I am finding it harder and harder nowadays to justify purchasing top of the line video cards. Sure there are games like BF3 but I really hope more and more start coming out that push the PC to the next level. Crysis 2 was going to fall in to the category but then they lost all my respect with the DX 11 patch and the ridiculous tesselation fiasco.

Yeah... it's just the nature of having two of three platforms being so old. I don't expect major efforts to push things until the other two companies introduce their next gen consoles. WiiU is still a year out, but I suspect it will just serve as an increase in the multiplatform development load in the short term (4th SKU), so aside from the exclusives, ports will just end up being between the 360/PS3 and the PC SKUs.

At any rate, it still means that in the next little while, the state of DX11 will be limited to CE3, FB2 and UE3 adoption.

was playing the PC version for a bit, my god the FOV is ridiculous, and the texture seems worse than MW2, if I remember correctly, MW2 need gfx card with 1 gig of vram for extra high texture.

i am pretty impressed with the PS3 version only 10FPS average GAP is not bad at all ... last time it was sometime 60 FPS vs 30 FPS

Thanks for the MW3 article. It is very interesting that the PC version is comaparable to the console version which is just crap in my opinion because it means the developers just slacked off. *sigh* I am finding it harder and harder nowadays to justify purchasing top of the line video cards. Sure there are games like BF3 but I really hope more and more start coming out that push the PC to the next level. Crysis 2 was going to fall in to the category but then they lost all my respect with the DX 11 patch and the ridiculous tesselation fiasco.
I really don't know of any PC exclusives that technically beat multiplatform PC games. Can you name a few?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back