Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2011]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On console, Reach has a pretty good/subtle version of HBAO. It gets blobby around characters at longer distances when you zoom in with the scope, but for the majority of the time, it's not so in-your-face. DEHR has to be one of the worst implementations artistically aside from Gears 2 (though for a 2008 title, it was fairly new aside from Crysis PC).

On the PC side, you've got the higher quality settings to tinker around with in BF3 anyway. Dragon Age II has a decent implementation of HDAO though the only time I've seen it weird is inside the cave where you get unlit areas and the AO becomes super dark relative to the objects.

Anyways, the comment was just a passing one referring to the screens in the article. I don't expect it to be perfect.

Ok, I know I have been absent for non-gamer related reasons but Albert, you need to have, by Friday, completed an acronymn/link database for new techniques. HDAO, HBAO whutzhutta? And how many versions/abbreviations are there for MLAA techniques? My head is spinning, and that isn't even related to the hole!

Get it done soldier. Seeing as all the important people will be on BF3 you will have the time :p

Ok, I know I have been absent for non-gamer related reasons but Albert, you need to have, by Friday, completed an acronymn/link database for new techniques. HDAO, HBAO whutzhutta? And how many versions/abbreviations are there for MLAA techniques? My head is spinning, and that isn't even related to the hole!

Get it done soldier. Seeing as all the important people will be on BF3 you will have the time :p

mmmmm, a checkbox option in your profile to enable 'tooltip' info of known 3d graphic related abbreviations when you hover over them, invisible to the eye when switched off... defaulted to on....

/submliminal voice

For example, bloom appears stronger in nature on 360 (perhaps appearing a touch overblown) while in other scenes light sources appear less prominent on the PS3 - again, this is nothing new for Unreal Engine 3.

I thought it was the other way around?

Really good job by Rocksteady, excellent almost; I think it's the most close multiplat UE3 games with really negligible differences. Why not works yet the videocomparison in the new site interface?

I have SO many issues with Flash on my DeskTop, it's sickening. Much of it is in combination with weird stuff that keeps overwriting my Audio driver with different versions, which is driving me nuts, but Flash is partly to blame too as now with the last update my wife's PC's Flash is unstable as well.

Really good job by Rocksteady, excellent almost; I think it's the most close multiplat UE3 games with really negligible differences. Why not works yet the videocomparison in the new site interface?

Seems like it isn't a 7GB invisible stealth-install on the PS3 this time.. :p
Their last game kept cache huge amount of data to the HDD with never deleting the data, had to do that manually on XMB. Didn't see a install screen, so assumed it wouldn't take space until I read that my HDD were full. :p

Seems like this one is same what platform you choose..
PS3 wins audio, and less texture-popin, but looses on framerate.. :-/

I usually don't like Unreal Engine games, they kind of look the same to me, but last Batman were pretty fun and felt different. :)
I'm thinking this one might aswell, but I'm not in at launch.
Too busy at work this week.

AC is one of the very few game thats that take full advantage of the old UE3 looks and fit the art style perfectly. It doesn't really need the current UE3.5 with light mass. Still wonder what it woujld look like with light mass.

I usually don't like Unreal Engine games, they kind of look the same to me, but last Batman were pretty fun and felt different. :)

Batman looks pretty much the same as well, but as long as it fits that's a-okay. My only gripe with the visuals is that it's almost always a very busy and kinda messy looking game, just like Arkham Asylum was. Especially during the often times multi-floor predator rooms this can be a real hassle as enemies and scenery just blend into each other so well.

Ups, thought this was the Batman topic in the games section. Sorry for going OT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umm...I have a question guys, it may be stupid but I don't get it - I watched the campaign frame-rate comparison video and saw that the 360 version introduces tearing when the frame-rate is locked at 30fps...aren't games with double buffering drop the v-sync when the engine is stressed and drops frames? how a game that runs at steady 30fps can have constant tearing at the same time? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that again. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back