Netflix Streaming Coming to PS3 Next Month

WiiWare channels were made for stuff like this. Max size for channels is 40MB iirc which should be enough considering the other things that run in channels fine like the Internet Channel(and it has Flash).

Edit: When Netflix first launched on 360 the download was a few MBs.

Yah, but I believe every device that plays netflix streaming needs a special netflix client -- that's specific to netflix. I don't know if they can implement it in Flash only... but my guess it no to that. I can't stream netflix to linux, which is why I suspect this to be the case. I'm just saying that it seems to me that there's no difference between providing a disc vs. d/l clients with regards to licensing / marketing agreements for software. Or at least, it'd be very silly to have such differences.

Yah, but I believe every device that plays netflix streaming needs a special netflix client -- that's specific to netflix.
Their previous excuse for using a disc on ps3 is that they could use the netflix app from bd players on ps3 which would be faster and cheaper. With this Wii version it's obviously made specifically for the Wii complete with Wiimote support.
I don't know if they can implement it in Flash only...
My flash comment was about the full featured browser supporting it.
I'm just saying that it seems to me that there's no difference between providing a disc vs. d/l clients with regards to licensing / marketing agreements for software. Or at least, it'd be very silly to have such differences.
I'm pretty sure the contract agreement was for integrated netflix into the console. With a separate disc Netflix can bypass that obligation until the agreement runs out(Netflix PSN app is coming around fall). It's not silly at all because having to insert a disc everytime you want to watch netflix detracts from the convenience of streaming. You get netflix streaming integrated into BD players, HDTVs, and Windows Media Center. Running it separately is like having to insert a disc on your PC everytime you want to use Firefox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their previous excuse for using a disc on ps3 is that they could use the netflix app from bd players on ps3 which would be faster and cheaper. With this Wii version it's obviously made specifically for the Wii complete with Wiimote support. My flash comment was about the full featured browser supporting it. I'm pretty sure the contract agreement was for integrated netflix into the console. With a separate disc Netflix can bypass that obligation until the agreement runs out(Netflix PSN app is coming around fall). It's not silly at all because having to insert a disc everytime you want to watch netflix detracts from the convenience of streaming. You get netflix streaming integrated into BD players, HDTVs, and Windows Media Center. Running it separately is like having to insert a disc on your PC everytime you want to use Firefox.

Yeah, but since there's no additional announcement of a Wii install/no disc version, vs. the PS3 where they did announce a future native version, I'm confident there will never be integrated Netflix on the Wii until a new Wii is released with more onboard storage, or it comes as part of the console out of the box.

Yeah, but since there's no additional announcement of a Wii install/no disc version, vs. the PS3 where they did announce a future native version, I'm confident there will never be integrated Netflix on the Wii until a new Wii is released with more onboard storage, or it comes as part of the console out of the box.
WiiWare channel can use up to 40MB. That's enough for an app like this just look at all the other WiiWare stuff. IIRC the 360 Netflix app was a few MBs it downloaded in seconds.

patsu said:
Heh heh, that's what I meant by the studios and consumers optimizing their spendings on Blu-ray. Let's see how RedBox, BlockBuster and others react to the news. People who rent movie may not mind the wait.

Blockbuster CFO spoke. They chose a different path:

"Speaking at an investor event in New York, Blockbuster CFO Thomas Casey said that the recent deal between Netflix and Warner Home Video delaying availability of WB new DVD and Blu-ray releases at Netflix for four weeks (see blu-ray.com, January 6) grants Blockbuster additional revenue potential. “It clearly is good news for us, in a sense, we now have product that Netflix won't have for that 28-day period,” Casey said.

Instead of implementing an availability delay, Blockbuster has agreed on increased studio margins, which under the new revenue-sharing scheme will be now 40% for physical distribution and 60% for electronic distribution.

Source: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4033

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1384701517&play=1 Video of joint interview between Nintendo & Netflix CEO. Key points:

* Enormous install base
* Family friendly customer base
* Completely free to netflix subscribers ($9 per month), unlimited streaming
* HD streaming is not important. Vast majority of content not HD. Customers don't care about image quality.
* Next step of Nintendo will not just simply be HD added.

I'm now going to guess that part of the reason for a CD based Netflix implementation is for parental control...

Back