Netflix Streaming Coming to PS3 Next Month

But we've been lead to believe there's no performance penalty using BD-J. So it can be a surprise to some. ;)

Correction. It (Java) doesn't have to be slow. :)

Based on the blu-ray.com benchmarks, the 500MHz Samsung player outrun the 3.2GHz PS3 in general Java execution for example. The latest LG model is said to be faster than the Samsung one. I have not seen it myself.

Ah, might want to correct them

I remember watching that teardown , a complete PC+extra hardware for the Decoding parts. It was an insane and costly piece of hardware. But it worked. Afaik, it was based on their old DVD top model.

I got my Netflix PS3 disc on Friday and played with it a little this weekend. The browsing is quite sluggish and the player is just OK. The Xbox 360 version is a lot smoother by comparison, and loads faster and doesn't require a disc. Don't think I'll be using the PS3 for Netflix.

Yes ! This is the kind of complains we should be hearing.

Too bad Sony has an easy way out on the PS3. It is also more natural for them to implement NetFlix streaming as a native app (e.g., pressing the PS button should go to XMB instead of quiting the Blu-ray environment).

The regular Blu-ray players are more interesting in this aspect (Running BD-Live app from firmware instead of disc, speed up Java execution via software techniques to keep hardware cost down).

makattack, in general, it's true that Java has some variance from different VM providers. It's the same as DOM/HTML/Javascript browsers having their own variants due to bugs and holes in the specs. Even WebKit does not behave the same on different platforms (Damn manufacturers cutting corners/cost, code revisions).

Don't sell them short, it's an amazing accomplishment considering that it's just a BD-J app. The XBox app is a native app (I think) with all the advantages associated with that. The PS3 version is written in a VM based language, in a sandbox designed for providing small interactivity apps and menus for disc based movies.

Well, while I can appreciate it as a portable app technical achievement, the end result for me as a user is it is not currently very good (IMHO). I understand that they (Netflix) are restricted by their current agreement with Microsoft - I'm sure this will be as good as or better than the 360 version when they can make a PS3 native version. When that time comes, I'll be happy to use the PS3 as my Netflix viewing platform.

I am very happy with Netflix on the PS3. Yes, you have the disc loading time and sometime the thumbnails can take some time to load. Otherwise, it is good. It reminds me of the first implementation on the 360. I do wish there was a search function but just browsing the various categories, I've been able to add the movies and shows I want.

I also watched the entire 1st season of Legend of the Seeker in HD. Looked really good and ran without a hitch. Sometimes on the 360 it would stop to fix the video for my connection. Wasn't even SD content and I have a decent to good connection.

This thing has a huge buffer. Accidently disconnected my modem once and the HD stream kept playing for quite a while. Then a few days ago I ran low on HDD space and it said it needed at least 300MB to run. Do standalones even have that much cache? Has anyone tried this on a standalone?

Hope a built-in app off the PSN store comes soon having to stick in the disc is annoying. Then when I want to play a videogame between netflix watching I have to swap discs.

Last edited by a moderator:
BD-Live players have 1 Gb persistent storage (standard).

[size=-2]... which is a pity since they didn't mandate a baseline performance benchmark for the JVM at the same time.[/size]

BD-Live players have 1 Gb persistent storage (standard).

[size=-2]... which is a pity since they didn't mandate a baseline performance benchmark for the JVM at the same time.[/size]

BD-Live players require 1GB storage it is not mandatory that they have it on-board which is why I could upgrade my sons BD-P1500. I only need to slap a usb key on the back of his player to get BD-Live working.

My TV (Sony XBR9) already has netflix streaming built in. I've never tried it since I dont have a netfilx acct. But I see the icon. I've heard that it works pretty well though.

Yeah, bummer, but they got more streaming content for the concession though. Personally, I'm watching more Netflix & Hulu streaming than DVDs anyway.

Tommy McClain

sweet!

I'm all for more streaming but from a family perspective, current set up dictates DVDs but I think it may be soon time to add an arcade unit to Living room. :devilish:

BD-Live players require 1GB storage it is not mandatory that they have it on-board which is why I could upgrade my sons BD-P1500. I only need to slap a usb key on the back of his player to get BD-Live working.

Yes, the 1 Gb persistant storage is mandatory. The manufacturers choose how to implement it. To answer vazel's question, even if the 1Gb is entirely on USB storage, it can be used as a local cache for downloading HD movies.

Heh heh, that's what I meant by the studios and consumers optimizing their spendings on Blu-ray. Let's see how RedBox, BlockBuster and others react to the news. People who rent movie may not mind the wait.

We may be seeing more BD-Live streaming services this year too.

Netflix streaming is coming to the Wii in the form of a disc. This pretty much confirms it's due to a contract agreement with Microsoft and the disc is a workaround. Before the excuse of using a disc was the ease of using the previous Netflix BD player implementation on PS3 but the Wii isn't exactly BD standard.

http://www.netflix.com/wii

Netflix streaming is coming to the Wii in the form of a disc. This pretty much confirms it's due to a contract agreement with Microsoft and the disc is a workaround. Before the excuse of using a disc was the ease of using the previous Netflix BD player implementation on PS3 but the Wii isn't exactly BD standard.

http://www.netflix.com/wii

Wouldn't this be down to the fact that the Wii doesn't have a HDD and may not have enough space in Firmware for such a feature?

Wouldn't this be down to the fact that the Wii doesn't have a HDD and may not have enough space in Firmware for such a feature?
WiiWare channels were made for stuff like this. Max size for channels is 40MB iirc which should be enough considering the other things that run in channels fine like the Internet Channel(and it has Flash).

Edit: When Netflix first launched on 360 the download was a few MBs.

Back