3D wave simulator overheats my HD 5870

I'm so impressed with these demos! How long have you been coding for voxilla? I've just started with 3d programming (going through OpenGL tutorials lol) and I have to say that it can be quite tedious at times. Enjoyable though, once you get the ball rolling at least!

I've been doing graphics coding for, let me think, must be about 25 years.
This is like my second wave of demo writing let's say, mostly because I've been having more time than usual lately (due to temporarily not working full time).
Once you get the hang of it, it can be a lot of fun.

As promised here is the faster version that runs more than twice as fast, namely 257 frames per second.
The extra speed comes by packing values in a rgba texture instead of a single channel texture.
This makes fetching data and calculations faster at the expense of more complex code. So in essence this is a vectorized simulator instead of pure scalar calculations.
With the S key it is possible to toggle between the scalar and vectorized version.
For the vectorized mode the time step is half that of the scalar mode, so that the wave propagation speed remains similar.

If only my laptop had Evergreen card ... :cry:

I'm away from home till Saturday so I can't see more LSD generated frames :LOL:

Thanks for update!

Hmmm, just tried the new version (didn't get a chance to try the old one) and it's running at 10 fps on my 5870. Not sure why. Win7 with the Cat 9.11 beta's from the opencl beta release.

Regards,
SB

If you switch to scalar mode is it still slow then ? (S key)
I noticed too that it can get slow, getting only 36 fps here instead of 257 for vector mode.
When disabling the Aero desktop it seems to work ok, does that work ?

One explanation could be that the large 128 MB volumes fail to allocate in video memory and that they are actually read from system memory, due to fragmented video memory.

OK, that did the trick.

In scalar mode it runs about 119 fps with Aero, and 10.2 fps in vector with Aero.

Without Aero it runs at 262 FPS in vector, didn't try scalar.

Wonder why it has problems with Aero? Perhaps I'll give it a go with Aero next time I do a clean boot of the system.

Regards,
SB

Aero -- on

Vector: 290 fps;
Scalar: 130 fps;

Aero -- off

Vector: 297 fps;
Scalar: 133 fps;

Win7 x86, 5870, Cat 9.11

Back