Microsoft looking to ban unauthorised memcards on 360

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
This is kind of worrying to be honest. Microsoft is looking to ban unauthorised memory units, i.e. memcards and hdds. From the next firmware update, you're not going to be able to read anything from it. I've looked at getting such a HDD, but thankfully was too lazy to make any kind of effort to do so.

Backlash on Major Nelson's forum has been pretty big, and will be interesting to see whether or not they'll go ahead with it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/microsoft-bans-unauthorised-memory-units

MODEDIT: Memcards, NOT HDDs, it took 11 posts before we got back on topic.

Despite the obvious trouble with not getting revenue from unauthorized storage units, they still shouldn't piss off customers. Particularly when Sony allows them to replace the HDD in the PS3 whenever they want to...

Despite the obvious trouble with not getting revenue from unauthorized storage units, they still shouldn't piss off customers. Particularly when Sony allows them to replace the HDD in the PS3 whenever they want to...

Don't get me started - the HDD thing is enough to break a man, you can buy a whopping 120GB HDD from MS for $130 or so?? A 120GB (faster better) SATA HDD costs about a third of that...
You can get a 250gb drive for the PS3 - from anyone...for around $60 :p

Oh...Oh...and then there's the Wireless adapter....let's just not go there

Jack

Also dont go to the inconvinient method of transfering your 360 data from one HDD to the new one you just purchased. :mad:

It's been described thus far in everything I've seen as "MUs" suggesting the memory units only, particularly the ones that interface easily with PC (Datel).

Nothing specific about hard disks yet, but they could be easily banned too. Thing is - a lot of these are counterfeit from China, so a lot of people could be locked out of their gamertags and content without knowing why.

Can see the reasoning behind the MUs, but things will get very messy if the HDDs are included in the bannings.

That really sucks. Putting a 500Gb HD in my PS3 was a joy! Not being able to upgrade the 20Gb on the 360 is crap, one installed game and its shot its load.

Also dont go to the inconvinient method of transfering your 360 data from one HDD to the new one you just purchased. :mad:

Oh, thanks for reminding me - when my launch 360 died - I, of course, was out of warranty and went out and bought a brand new 360 elite - because I hate myself. Trying to even get my gamertag moved over was a nightmare - couldn't remember what freaking email address I'd used to setup my xboxlive account 4 years previous (on the original xbox) and Customer Service was like 0 help...and then, I needed some cord to transfer everything over - which only came with the replacement HDD's - and ended up having to order one from MS (they gave it to me for free, but took 3 weeks to show up) - I just ended up downloading everything again...what a bunch of crap

:p

Jack

This is bullshit, I bought the Datel mu so I could use my profile on the two 360s I have easily and now it is pretty much useless. I'm going to have to see if Best Buy will give me a refund as it is advertised as working with the 360.

I guess there is a flaw that allows pirated content that MS cannot get around any other way.

They wouldn't score such an own goal for the lose of a few HDD and memory card sales.

Datel responds...

We are following this issue and awaiting the outcome like everyone else.

If the Major Nelson blog is to be taken at face value then we're disappointed to see that Microsoft are taking these steps to prevent customers from exercising their freedom of choice.

Everyone is looking for ways to make their cash go further at the moment and we believe that Max Memory offers a good value, high capacity, alternative to the official Memory Unit.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225782

Tommy McClain

Has there been any other sources for the rumor other than the Major Nelson blog? Or that didn't originate from the Major Nelson blog?

Regards,
SB

SB:
http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/10/16/unauthorized-xbox-360-storage-devices.aspx

When Preview Program members start receiving the Xbox 360 system update next week, one of the changes is that unauthorized Memory Units will no longer work with the Xbox 360. If you’ve moved your profile or saved games onto one to “back it up,” you’d better move it back onto an authorized Xbox 360 storage device prior to taking the update. If you continue to use an unauthorized Memory Unit after the update, you will not be able to access your stored profile or saved games.

I'm not sure where the MS rep clarified that it applied to MUs only, but I believe he did.

Sometimes you have to wonder if Microsoft has perhaps farmed out support/pricing of 360 storage peripherals to "Imbeciles Inc". It seems like everything having to do with storage options is being handled by a someone who had a failed lobotomy. I don't understand how anyone can think that voiding little Susie's save games is a good idea.

Don't get me started - the HDD thing is enough to break a man, you can buy a whopping 120GB HDD from MS for $130 or so?? A 120GB (faster better) SATA HDD costs about a third of that...
You can get a 250gb drive for the PS3 - from anyone...for around $60 :p

Oh...Oh...and then there's the Wireless adapter....let's just not go there

Jack

Why not go there ? If you want the offical wireless n adapter for the 360 its $100. how much is the offical wireless n adapter for the ps3 ? Oh right there isn't one.

Hardrive prices do suck though. I would be okay with a 250 gig drive for $125 and a 120 gig for $60 or $70

I'm not sure where the MS rep clarified that it applied to MUs only, but I believe he did.

Found this...

David Dennis said:
"Microsoft goes to great lengths to protect the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live service from cheating, which is the primary purpose of these unauthorized memory units,"

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/182544.asp

BTW, Major Nelson made a few posts in the comments section of his blog...

Major Nelson said:
Not sure if this will get read by many, but I have echoed some of the concerns posted here w/ the accessories team.
It took some time, but I have read all the comments here. Some interesting points that I'll be sharing.

Tommy McClain

Yeah, there's gotta be a better way to protech against cheating/hacking than to render all MU's except MS ones as blocked.

Hopefully, they come to their senses on this one...

Regards,
SB

This is why I didn't upgrade my HDD--which I still want to do. MS's storage policy is a joke.

I'm the last person to defend MS, but let me play Devil's Advocate for a sec: If Datel's MU is "unofficial", does that mean they reverse engineered a MS one to build their own? (I'm not familiar with MUs on the 360 so I don't know if they use a proprietary connector or whatever.)

If they did there's not much they can do if MS decides to blacklist them as they don't have a license to make those MUs. I'm not saying I think it's a good move on MS's part, though.

Back