NPD September 2009

So even if X360 ended up with say half of accessories revenue that's still only another 80 million or so. And I doubt they got 50% of accessories revenue.

So they must have gotten the lions share of software sales. If we say 90 million for X360 consoles, that'd be about 240-300 million from software sales. :oops:

That would be WAY out of whack with relative install bases.

Regards,
SB

Hmm... if they count Halo game sales and then add everything else, then I can see that happening. It's like counting MGS4 sales during its launch month and compare it to other consoles. Comparisons like this is interesting but not so representative. That's why I am not a big fan of monthly sales thread. :)

Buddha, you lack the sufficient data to make a meaningful analysis. You are making assumption after assumption so your conclusion does not hold.

Buddha, you lack the sufficient data to make a meaningful analysis. You are making assumption after assumption so your conclusion does not hold.

It isn't like there are many ways you can juggle the numbers.

We know how many consoles they sold. We know X360 related sales is about 410 million (32%).

So it's fairly easy to see that the only place X360 sales can add up to that is if they got the lions share of software sales. Take out the approximately 90 million from ODST and it becomes a more reasonable 150-210 million depending on how many accessories they sold. Which again if you take out ODST sales would still be quite impressive out of 560 million (non-ODST) software sales.

Even without ODST they could have still taken 25-35% of software sales. Out of 6 tracked consoles.

Are those numbers definitive? Absolutely not, but it gives rough ballpark numbers.

Regards,
SB

Sure, it's good money to Microsoft, but I don't think it's necessary to compare with other consoles. The Wiiboard and Wiimote already outsold everyone else as game-peripheral combos. PS3 doesn't need/have (expensive) HDD adaptor, controller charger, memory units, point cards, etc. and I don't think I want to encourage them to. ^_^

I am not even sure if there's any new peripheral for the mobile consoles and the PS2 at this moment. Roping them in for a peripheral sales comparison is meaningless.

I probably should have left out my speculation that overall Nintendo probably still did better than Microsoft, as it seems that people are thinking I'm directly comparing numbers to other consoles when trying to break down the numbers.

Other than that, I was just speculating with AIStrong as to what was contributing to MS getting 32% of console related revenue.

And if you want to go there, remove accessories and I'm pretty sure X360 console + software would have still been around 1/3rd of the total.

Regards,
SB

Anecdotal evidence, but a colleague of mine told me he wanted to get a new, quieter BluRay player. He has so far used a launch PS3 unit (told him to vacuum it, which he hasn't tried yet). He wants to move the old PS3 upstairs. After looking around a bit however, he decided he's going to get a PS3 Slim instead of a standalone BluRay player, because he's very happy with the PS3 as a BluRay player, knows the Slim is much quieter, and likes the idea of being able to still play games like Buzz in the livingroom with his family/guests.
)

i bought my slim with similar intentions in regards to noise level...the slim is close to silent whereas my original ps3 fat 60gb (now moved from my projector to my plasma) sounds similar, though slightly less than, to the 360...as for heat, the slim seems cooler as well, my projector room with the fat was uncomfortable (granted it is not that big space wise), but now its tolerable with the slim

Sure, it's good money to Microsoft, but I don't think it's necessary to compare with other consoles. The Wiiboard and Wiimote already outsold everyone else as game-peripheral combos. PS3 doesn't need/have (expensive) HDD adaptor, controller charger, memory units, point cards, etc. and I don't think I want to encourage them to. ^_^

I am not even sure if there's any new peripheral for the mobile consoles and the PS2 at this moment. Roping them in for a peripheral sales comparison is meaningless.

Then isn't that sony leaving money on the table ? Also the ps3 has point cards.

They may also be lumping live sales into the numbers btw.

NPDC.png

From the looks of it, it seems nintendo made a mistake dropping the price
Its $50 cheaper than it was last year but sold fewer consoles than they did last year, True the drop increased sales but I expect nowhere near to what they hoped for.
I believe it would of been better for their bottom line if they waited until sony/MS release their controller things next year (when they will be competing directly with them) + then drop the price then $100

Should I buy some to prove you wrong or just take photos for you ?

The only place I've ever heard of having them is Target, they got discontinued in store a while back. Amazon has never sold them directly either. I have never personally seen one.

Sure, go buy a bunch and ship them to me as proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're in stock in 4 out of the 6 best buy in my ares. Available at local gamestop also so I'm sure if you're looking, you can buy them. Atleast in poplulated areas.

They have been in stock at EB here in Victoria for months now (presumably everywhere else in Canada as well). Used one recently to by .deTuned and some Fallout 3 DLC in fact.

I see them in all the Walmart stores too. Not in ample supply like the Xbox Live Gold & MS Points cards though, but I do see them. Also, the Wii Points cards are in more supply than the PSN cards, but still way behind Xbox cards too.

Tommy McClain

NPDC.png

From the looks of it, it seems nintendo made a mistake dropping the price
Its $50 cheaper than it was last year but sold fewer consoles than they did last year, True the drop increased sales but I expect nowhere near to what they hoped for.
I believe it would of been better for their bottom line if they waited until sony/MS release their controller things next year (when they will be competing directly with them) + then drop the price then $100

Nintendo would never win crossplatform as a percentage of user base. It's usebase is too large.

Microsoft is getting to the point where it's userbase will be too large for it to compete with PS3 on a titles purchased as a percentage of userbase also.

There isn't a console/platform in the history of gaming where software attach rates didn't decrease as user base increases.

Regards,
SB

Then isn't that sony leaving money on the table ?

Yes ! Then again, they have downloadable movie revenue, and Blu-ray consumer + business revenue. In short, they have slightly different business plan from MS. I am not sure I want Sony to increase peripheral prices or adopt proprietary interfaces. If they need more money, then they will do whatever necessary to get us to pay, or raise money elsewhere.

Also the ps3 has point cards.

Different purposes. PS3 has prepaid cards for people who are not comfortable to pay using credit cards. XBL mandates point card usage.

I'm pretty sure I've spent more on the PS3 for peripherals than the 360...

First I bought the overpriced SIXAXIS controllers...then I had to replace them with overpriced DualShock 3 controllers. ;)

Back