SEGA's Grand Vision For PlaySEGA. Confirmed by UK Retro Gamer Mag Ed.

It's funny how Texan "finds" reasons in other threads why previous Sega consoles have failed touting that their tech and GPU's have been underpowered, and that is the only reason those consoles didn't do well.

Now we have this thing with 128MB/old GPU and in general POS hardware, which is underpowered today and will be total garbage in few years, when next gen systems hit, yet Texan is excited...

bad word insult bad word.

Almost makes me feel bad. Reminds me of Commodore back in the day, a company that once had good products and seems to be run by idiots.

Even the DC was capable of downloading and running old Master System and Megadrive games (and level editors for them), but Sega curiously didn't try and make any money from this outside of Japan. Even on a 56k modem you could download something like Sonic in about a minute. Halo 3 can take longer to load a level than that.

Another wasted opportunity for the company that spent a bomb on putting modems in the DC.

So then, SEGA is now returning it's gaze towards the living room

Do you believe everything you read from a source that has been discredited time and time again? In what sort of fantasy world does SEGA have the clout to mass produce a device based on Intel *and* AMD IP? And why would it do so when the average PC bought in the last three years will outperform it?

Please stop posting unsubstantiated guff.

SEGA SAMMY is a large Japanese conglomerate.

They're not Tiger Telematics or Infineon Labs.

You make me smile.

SEGA cannot compete in home market without decent hardware. Flash based games on a set top box is a bad idea for a new console. Xbox 360 and PS3 would be able to play Flash based games as well if MS or Sony decided to support it on their platforms.

Ahhh, but you're forgetting SEGA's games will only be available on their console, meaning PS360's Flash game-streaming options woud be worthless. We'll all buy a SEGA box to play the next Sonic and Yakuza. :yep2:

SEGA SAMMY is a large Japanese conglomerate...

...that will never launch a home console again, and certainly does not have the negotiating or indeed buying power with Intel or AMD to launch any kind of derivative PC at under $150, let alone one that features both of them in one box.

May I ask you what SEGA's actual masterplan here is in selling a box that is in actual fact, a lower power version of a box that the audience probably owns already?! If you can learn anything from PlaySEGA it's that it's an attempt to launch some kind of platform that is entirely hardware-agnostic.

They don't need to launch new hardware - that is entirely the point.

SEGA could certainly make a fortune from the weapons-grade crack that you and "Zachary Morris" seem to imbibe!

If it's only to play flash games and stream movies then those specs are acceptable.
Why would you pay that much money for something that'll only play flash games and movies?

People have OTHER devices for that, you know, they don't need, nor want anythhing from Sega to do that. Again, it'll fly like a brick.

not all people have high end consoles. some do play flash games on the wii, more expensive and with much worse specs.
anyway, I'll agree that's a baseless rumor :). Specs are for a given existing arcade hardware, actually right there on wikipedia : GPU is a radeon hd 2600
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_arcade_system_boards

I don't get why it would be so hard. Unlike other consoles, this is only using commodity hardware. All you need is a custom, laptop-like motherboard that a company like ECS can make. You could be really lazy and have a CPU socket, MXM socket, CF slot, so-dimm slot and do assembly in sweat shops.
No R&D, parts extremely easy to source, and cost similar to the cheapest laptops minus optical drive, display, hard drive, battery etc.
You wouldn't even care if you got the 2.2GHz Intel or the 2.1GHz Intel.

Nobody's disputing that you can BUILD a POS PC using off-the-shelf parts.

It's how you'll manage to SELL IT that's the issue.

Just because you launch a console doesn't mean people will line up to buy it - something Sega actually has a lot of experience in as it turns out.

Just because you launch a console doesn't mean people will line up to buy it - something Sega actually has a lot of experience in as it turns out.

People up and down the country lined up at 9/9/99 at midnight.

So because SEGA had a successful launch a decade ago, of a platform that ultimate died a hapless death because no-one wanted it, that can be taken as proof that a new console launched in arguably the most competitive console market ever, where SEGA has been on the sidelines for pretty much two generations surviving off pachinko machines, will be a runaway success?

People do buy POS hardware with ultra-expensive controllers and use the composite video output (which was already garbage 15 years ago). It's called the Wii and more expensive than an Xbox 360.
a POS PC is one gen better than it.

I'll agree it's about the SELL parts, but not so much hardware specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wii is a POS from a hardware performance standpoint, sure. However it does have something else going for it: wiimote, hype, and masterfully crafted nintendo software titles.

Sega hasn't been in the hardware business for ages now. They've lost touch with their core audience, they haven't had any real triple-A in-house titles for quite a while now. It's not a comparable situation.

I don't see why anyone would buy a gimped PC that won't run PC software just to play flash games and videos. It's just dumb. You don't NEED a separate box for that! Other people also realize as much, I'm wagering.

The Wii is a POS from a hardware performance standpoint, sure. However it does have something else going for it: wiimote, hype, and masterfully crafted nintendo software titles.

Sega hasn't been in the hardware business for ages now. They've lost touch with their core audience, they haven't had any real triple-A in-house titles for quite a while now. It's not a comparable situation.

I don't see why anyone would buy a gimped PC that won't run PC software just to play flash games and videos. It's just dumb. You don't NEED a separate box for that! Other people also realize as much, I'm wagering.

Agreed. What we do need is a machine with an Intel quad core processor and Nvidia GPU with 2 Gigs of RAM for CPU and 2 gigs for GPU being able to play new arcade games from SEGA, Capcom, Namco, whoever else still makes arcade games. All the while being able to pull up a backlog of SEGA arcade games, and other publishers, through emulation for a small price to pay in the arcades. Just imagine a machine like this that pulls the games up from a fiber optic connection so no need for expensive optical media when the network provides enough bandwidth to bring in the game. Now that's a machine I'd gladly put 3 or 4 of in a family type restaurant. All for $1,200 is something I salivate at.

I still think there is a market for a gaming machine that sits between console in the living room and a handheld. Something with it's own display like handheld but larger, maybe a unique display unit of some sort.

Back