SEGA's Grand Vision For PlaySEGA. Confirmed by UK Retro Gamer Mag Ed.

The reasoning would be to have complete control of the revenues they get without paying royalties and avoid being subject of market fragmentation due to various consoles being released.
That's the reason for introducing any new format or service against existing competition when it makes sense, but why now? The time for trying to establish your own service is in the early days when the market is in flux and people haven't decided. Gradually those challengers get whittled down to a few successful ventures. eg. Sony abandoned its attempt to secure a download music service when they found they were completely losing out to iTunes. They deem it better to lose money on the royalties. However they are also opening up a multimedia content portal, based on their console success rather than their music players.

So yes, SEGA want to sell wares without anyone else getting a cut of their revenue. But what's the (economic) reasoning to go it alone when there are already established players? A sane rationale would need to have some predictions that the market for an independent, SEGA only download service, will be more profitable than the other markets. The only rationale I can think of that fits is that SEGA enthusiasts own PCs but not consoles, aren't buying the SEGA releases and won't buy the SEGA releases unless there is a SEGA application. Which all seems a bit far-fetched to me.

How many of those connected to the net buy download PC games, such that all the games companies are chasing the PC market instead of spending on developing console games?

What you have to understand here is that the vast majority of the PC's that are sold every year don't have the necessary hardware to run the vast majority of the games introduced to market. That's the reason PC gaming has never gone mainstream.

But because PlaySEGA relies instead on Flash technology it doesn't matter that your PC tower doesn't house the latest GPU or the latest CPU, all you need is a standard broadband connection and Voilà! all the 300 million PC's sold every year are PlaySEGA capable consoles.

1) In theory. This is similar in principle to OnLive (as I undertand it), which would be a competing service. It's also unknown how well these services will actually run over dubious broadband connections. I for one can't stream 720p flash movies, so it wouldn't work for me.

2) Wouldn't it make more sense to develop games for both consoles and PC services? Although saying that, the initial report says by 2015, which may be some serious speculating. By then streaming service may well be more plausible.

That's the reason for introducing any new format or service against existing competition when it makes sense, but why now? The time for trying to establish your own service is in the early days when the market is in flux and people haven't decided. Gradually those challengers get whittled down to a few successful ventures. eg. Sony abandoned its attempt to secure a download music service when they found they were completely losing out to iTunes. They deem it better to lose money on the royalties. However they are also opening up a multimedia content portal, based on their console success rather than their music players.
Sega already did that when they abandoned the console hardware market and went to develop for other consoles. Now they probably decided for a new business model that isnt as exploited as the console market they used to compete in I think,
So yes, SEGA want to sell wares without anyone else getting a cut of their revenue. But what's the (economic) reasoning to go it alone when there are already established players? A sane rationale would need to have some predictions that the market for an independent, SEGA only download service, will be more profitable than the other markets. The only rationale I can think of that fits is that SEGA enthusiasts own PCs but not consoles, aren't buying the SEGA releases and won't buy the SEGA releases unless there is a SEGA application. Which all seems a bit far-fetched to me.
As I said earlier Sega is probably having a hard time in competing against the competing game software. They are probably shrinking in size not leaving them with much option. they will probably continue to support consoles as publishers and develop for the PlaySega service. I guess they will be moving gradually to an online service only (if it is true that they will abandon the console market).

Or they are plain wrong and they have misjudged their "grand" opportunity

No matter what the rationale is though nothing indicates that Sega will become the same company they used to be with their strategy. Their games will probably never be as big and great as they used to in the good old times on an online service that has to deal with technical limitations, so I wonder why TEXAN is so excited.

DC or PS2 or even XBOX graphics dont cut it anymore, and content wise there arent many things they can add on a streaming service. They will be outdated compared to what the next gen of consoles will offer in game visuals and in game content.

I dont know for example how today could a company create a title that can compete Uncharted through flash or special browser of some sorts. And I dont know if this wont be the case for the next 10 years or so since console technology is always evolving a lot as well as games that need millions to be produced at certain quality

Last edited by a moderator:
Royalties.
So what?

With this madcap scheme they have to run their own multiple server farms spread out all over instead with all the upkeep costs associated with that, as well as burn potentially massive amounts of bandwidth. They'll easily need a dozen datacenters just for north america to keep latency within reasonable levels, and much more if they want to spread to europe.

I'm pretty sure royalties would be cheaper in the long run tbh.

This is an idea that won't live more than even a couple years. Sega isn't a big player anymore; its name has no pull these days. It's like Atari, another "meh" brand that used to be hot but isn't anymore.

Another proprietary service on the market is REDUNDANT at this point, between XBL, PSN, Steam, Direct2Drive, iPod Store, facebook/myspace apps and whatnot basically all the user base is accounted for already. 300 million PCs may be sold every year but most of those aren't intended to be played games on...ever. They're business PCs that will run business apps. It's a non-argument; it doesn't mean there's 300M potential new customers every year for this sega whatsitscalled.

Sega isn't a big player anymore; its name has no pull these days. It's like Atari, another "meh" brand that used to be hot but isn't anymore.

Bayonetta
Alien vs Predator
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Alpha Protocol
Napoleon: Total War
Valkyria Chronicles II
Resonance of Fate
Project Needlemouse

These are some of the most anticipated titles of the next 12 months.

They're all SEGA published.

Bayonetta
Alien vs Predator
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Alpha Protocol
Valkyria Chronicles II
Resonance of Fate
Project Needlemouse

Sega is only a publisher and they arent as anticipated as other games and neither did their predecessors manage to sell as well as Sega would have hoped

TEXAN, my fellow SEGA fan/worshipper How are you doing there? You should realize this is not the business plan of SEGA's future. They may be using PlaySEGA as a form of supplemental income in a way where it's quick and easy to port some games to flash and make a profit off of it. It makes a lot of sense. But it's not their future, as in it will not be the main focus of new software development going into the future. Perhaps if they manage to get 5 million or more subscribers they would make some exclusive content, but even then I think the effort wouldn't be all that high.

SEGA does indeed have plans to support next generation consoles with a plethora of games just like they are the current generation. If you disagree then call them up for an official comment.

It would be really appreciated if you stopped spreading so much misinformation around.

SEGA tried the Sega Channel before and it failed, I'm not thinking PlaySEGA's chances are much higher.

I'm not saying that SEGA doesn't plan on supporting next gen consoles, neither does the article make such a claim.

However the generation after the next round is an altogether different story.

I didn't see Project Needlemouse on there. That's the new 2D(Not sure how 2D is defined in this case) Sonic game.

Bayonetta
Alien vs Predator
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Alpha Protocol
Valkyria Chronicles II
Resonance of Fate
Project Needlemouse

Napoleon: Total War is one of the most highly anticpated titles for next year? I must have missed the memo :p

Out of that list, the only "highly" anticipated title is AvP, and that's because AvP has a large fanbase that would naturally be interested in a videogame, no matter who made it.

The Total War series has an absolutely massive following on the PC in the UK, probably only second to the Football Manager series.

It was an absolutely killer decision by SEGA to purchase both Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive.

Out of that list, the only "highly" anticipated title is AvP, and that's because AvP has a large fanbase that would naturally be interested in a videogame, no matter who made it.

Bayonetta - Has bigger hype behind it than GOW3.
Yakuza 3/Yakuza 4 - Western PS3 owners are clamoring for these titles.
Alpha Protocol - Just read any one of the forums online and you'll see people are mega hyped for this sure to be Triple A title - Mass Effect meets James Bond, using the Mass Effect engine.
Valkyria Chronicles II - Sequel to whom many people call the 2008 PS3 GOTY. Massive hype.
Resonance of Fate - Some people are calling this the Final Fantasy killer. Anticipation is through the roof.
Project Needlemouse - Sonic going back to his roots, has mega hype behind it.

Here are the Game Gear SEGA titles I want to see on PlaySEGA.

Dragon Crystal
Shining Force Gaiden
Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya
Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict
Phantasy Star Gaiden
Sonic Drift
Sonic Drift 2
Panzer Dragoon Mini
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic Chaos
Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe
The GG Shinobi