SEGA's Grand Vision For PlaySEGA. Confirmed by UK Retro Gamer Mag Ed.

TEXAN*

Banned
http://fgnonline.webs.com/

10/17/09 WORLD EXCLUSIVE: SEGA plans to increase PlaySEGA system roster

We can officially confirm in this world exclusive that SEGA shall be adding titles from the SEGA Master System, SEGA Game Gear, SEGA MEGA/SEGACD, SEGA 32X and SEGA Saturn to the PlaySEGA library in the short term future.

Mid term future plans for SEGA Dreamcast have been set in stone as well.

SEGA has big plans for PlaySEGA and expects the subscription based service to challenge console dominance by 2015.

The portal powers it's software via technologies from Adobe Systems Inc.

Mr Zachary Morris

10/18/09 WORLD EXCLUSIVE: SEGA scraps plans for new console and handheld

We can officially confirm in this world exclusive that SEGA SAMMY have officially canned plans for platforms based on the RINGEDGE architecture. The story we exclusively revealed in May of this year.

The reason for the cancellation is because SEGA has now found a renewed focus on PlaySEGA and believes that going forward it shall be their new platform, their new "console". SEGA believes that by 2015 they won't be supporting consoles from others vendors anymore and that their entire consumer output shall be exclusively for the PlaySEGA service.

Flash based browser gaming seems to be the future and as technology improves and the audio visual experience starts rivaling those of consoles then those consoles shall go the way of the dinosaurs.

Mr Zachary Morris

I wasn't going to post this information because the source is not a mainstream website.

However, I then stumbled across the following -

The Editor of Retro Gamer Magazine in the United Kingdom confirming the authenticity of the FGNOnline reports regarding the future of PlaySEGA.

At the NTSC-UK forums -

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=99423

cutmymilk wrote
Who are FGN?!

I smell bullshat.

Strider wrote
It's certainly not bullshat, but I can't say too much at the moment.

mojo wrote
Strider, who are you? what line of work are you in? How much do you know? How do you know?

I know that the PlaySEGA operation is actually headed by SEGA Europe, I see that you're from the UK, maybe you have contacts with the company?

Junko
IIRC Strider works in publishing ?

Fireproofradiator
Strider edits Retro Gamer Magazine in the UK.

mojo wrote
Thanks!

So it would seem there is authenticity to the FGNOnline report.

Retro Gamer Magazine UK Editor
"It's certainly not bullshat, but I can't say too much at the moment."

They actualy believe that flash games will someday reach the audio visual quality of consoles?

I dount the experience will ever be matchable

They actualy believe that flash games will someday reach the audio visual quality of consoles?

I dount the experience will ever be matchable

Well if it's true at all, it's yet another reminder of why SEGA has become borderline irrelevant to gaming today - They simply don't have a damned clue what their audience wants.

I think it depends on the game type. Something like Valkyria Chronicles may be doable since it is turn based, with occasional video. Then again if the concept is viable by 2015, I expect everyone to have some sort of game streaming service. Sega won't be the only party. I mean we have already seen several attempts, trademark and patent filing today.

If Sega thinks browser gaming is ever going to out-compete dedicated consoles or PC games they're even more delusional than previously credited. That's such a hare-brained idea that if they go through with it, they're gonna be out of business before they even have time to fully embrace their bold, new plan.

What a stupid concept, this will never turn out well. Just goes to show the sega we once knew is dead. I never cared for their consoles, but they made some pretty slick arcade games back in the day... Alien Syndrome, Space Harrier, Out Run, Virtua Racing, Strider, tons more that I can't remember off-hand because I really should be in bed now. I better accept those days are finally over... :(

If true, I assume they plan to evolve the service to be a cloud computing games platform in the same vain as OnLive.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. It's just a Flash service which may or may not segue into a Gaikai variant.

The story about SEGA killing a platform based on RINGEDGE is obviously rubbish and straight from the mind of TEXAN*. It was never going to happen. A platform based on off-the-shelf parts that SEGA doesn't own the IP to was a contributory factor in the hardware business dying in the first place.

I think it depends on the game type. Something like Valkyria Chronicles may be doable since it is turn based, with occasional video. Then again if the concept is viable by 2015, I expect everyone to have some sort of game streaming service. Sega won't be the only party. I mean we have already seen several attempts, trademark and patent filing today.

Yeah we are talking about games the size of GB on consoles, with no downloading limitations. A flash game the size of a game on a Blu Ray?

It is not comparable.

Can you really imagine a title of the same quality as Gears or Uncharted on flash?

We need alien internet technology

I've played the latest 3D flash/Java games and believe that Saturn and Dreamcast should be doable for PlaySEGA in the short term.

In the long term as technology evolves then obviously further advanced games should be possible as well.

The NTSC-UK forums seem to be down at this moment.

EDIT - Forums back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played the latest 3D flash/Java games and believe that Saturn and Dreamcast should be doable for PlaySEGA in the short term.

In the long term as technology evolves then obviously further advanced games should be possible as well.

Doable 3D isnt enough.

You shouldnt forget the size of the titles in order to be comparable. Consumers will need extremely fast connections to stream GBs of data.

In addition do not forget that consoles also evolve.

Why not sell downloadable games online to begin with if they want to compete with consoles instead of relying on streaming flash applications which is less practical and narrows the market to those that will have the best connections?

The will be able to compete only handhelds at best with that business model.

In no way they will compete. Unless we are talking about 50 years or more later when technology evolves radically. And even then it might be questionable

Another thing to keep in mind is that when OnLive announced it's service and also the names of the publishers that would be supporting it, SEGA was notable by it's absence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont doubt the possibility that the company will go forward with what is metioned in your link.

What I doubt though is Sega becoming the competitive monster that was 2 decades ago.

They will deviate to a different business model that is nowhere as similar as what we are and were experiencing on consoles. They will be like a different company that simply retains the old name.

The reason for the cancellation is because SEGA has now found a renewed focus on PlaySEGA and believes that going forward it shall be their new platform, their new "console". SEGA believes that by 2015 they won't be supporting consoles from others vendors anymore and that their entire consumer output shall be exclusively for the PlaySEGA service.
PC only huh? Good luck with that...

SEGA believes that by 2015 they won't be supporting consoles from others vendors anymore and that their entire consumer output shall be exclusively for the PlaySEGA service.
:oops:

Nothings stopping SEGA from releasing a ROKU like device for the service.
That's plain dumb. They think they're customers are that loyal they'll buy a separate box just to play SEGA games, despite having other consoles and PCs quite capable of playing SEGA games but which SEGA refuse to support?

Good luck with that... ;)

That's plain dumb. They think they're customers are that loyal they'll buy a separate box just to play SEGA games, despite having other consoles and PCs quite capable of playing SEGA games but which SEGA refuse to support?

Good luck with that... ;)

Isn't this what every console manufacturer does every generation. Given Sega's lack of deep pockets, any attempt to reenter the market would call for an alternative approach that doesn't require huge amounts of capital necessary for a more traditional undertaking.

And how many console companies have made a success of it? Sony only managed it because they saw a niche back in the day when 3D and CD was just taking off in a big way. MS only managed it because they had a spare $5 billion to throw at it (okay, it wouldn't have cost that if they hadn't blown the contracts, but they didn't have to worry particular about the costs). And both of these companies had an eye on future opportunities in online content, while neither entered as offering their own first-party games, instead being platforms for 3rd parties (XB was a DX box, so open to existing PC developers).

How many companies have entered with a box to sell just their software and got anywhere? In fact how many new boxes have got anywhere, first=party dependent or not? Creating a new competing console becomes harder every generation IMO, and short of an outstanding breakaway feature (had SEGA released Wii, they'd probably be having Nintendo's success), perhaps 3D at a push, I can't see any chances for a fourth player.

Back