NV got DS2 contract according to BSN

well, a phone must principally do calls, a console games
when your phone/pmp can do better games than your console after little time, it start to matter

Define better. Because I dont think better looking means actually better games. The iPhone can already do much better than DS but you'll never have a iPhone game that will be as good as lets say Zelda on DS. Unless you start adding buttons in the right places on your phone a phone will never be a replacement for a handheld I think. And as soon as they do it will fail anyway beause people still buy a phone as a phone (and mib, stuff like that) so trying to turn it into a gaming device will just make another Nokia Ngage.

Given the amount of DS and Wii nintendo sells it should be obvious that specs alone hardly are a reason to buy a certain platform.

Yep, thats why I wondered a little bit about the quality. According to them the refreshrate is very high so they can avoid it but I'm not sure if thats correct (have not seen any video about the technology yet).

You can't elliminate these effects, but you can push them to the point where they're not significant. The best equivalent example is single chip DLP, dithering and colour seperation remain but aren't particularly visible with new LED based lighting, unless you know what to look for.

Guess the question becomes what is their power consumption when the refresh rate is high enough for these issues to not be significant, you can pretty much gaurantee that they don't quote power at very high refresh rates imo, although this may be an acceptable trade off for most applications.

John.

i know that a touchscreen isn't sufficient to make a console, but what if someone develops a sidekick alike with better controls?
ds's controlls are very minimal, and the ergonomic is terrible

i know too that console exclusives are what drive the buyers, but what will stop capcom to port resident evil ds2 to an equivalent phone platform?

i'm not saying that mobiles will take over consoles, but i think that in the next years more people will stop thinking if buy a portable or stay with their uber ngage

Does that really matter? So what your phone is outdated after a year? As long as it does what you wanted it to do when you bought it I dont see the problem. Besides, I dont know how it is in other countries but in Holland you usually sign a contract for 1 year (and pay a bit extra if you want a high end phone) or 2 years (and you will get basically any phone for free, though it depends a bit on the price of your contract ofcourse) and after that if you push a bit its often possible to renew your contract for only 1 year and get a new phone for free so in the worst case you'll be behind 1 year and given how even 1 year old phones like my Touch Diamond can do everything I dont see the problem unless you want games.

At least across Europe trends are more or less the same. High end smartphone buyers usually replace their phones roughly every 2 years I guess.

i'm not saying that mobiles will take over consoles, but i think that in the next years more people will stop thinking if buy a portable or stay with their uber ngage
There will always be people who will look for a dedicated device to do one thing well with little fuss. Having a gadget which you can immediately pick up and play without having to scroll through pages of menus knowing you can play straight away without having to be interrupted by phone calls is part of what having a handheld console is all about.

There will always be people who will look for a dedicated device to do one thing well with little fuss. Having a gadget which you can immediately pick up and play without having to scroll through pages of menus knowing you can play straight away without having to be interrupted by phone calls is part of what having a handheld console is all about.

True; besides I'm afraid that far too many seem to forget that a handheld console in essence doesn't necessarily concentrate on adult consumers.

True; besides I'm afraid that far too many seem to forget that a handheld console in essence doesn't necessarily concentrate on adult consumers.
I wouldn't say age groups have anything to do with it necessarily. Some people just like to keep things separate. The same reasons why some people get Jitterbug phones and have a separate digital camera with them instead of having a smart phone with photo capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say age groups have anything to do with it necessarily. Some people just like to keep things separate. The same reasons why some people get Jitterbug phones and have a separate digital camera with them instead of having a smart phone with photo capabilities.

Meaning you wouldn't say that a large target group for handhelds are children over the age of 7? I'd even dare to say that it builds the majority of users and that's exactly where your point of keeping things as simple as possible gains more importance.

picked this up on 4chan yesterday. yes, I know what you're thinking, BUT..

it's a leak by >syndicate<. these guys leaked the revolution sdk in august 2006.

infos: http://pastebin.com/m18eda1ba

pic:

2q8mumc.jpg

Wait, then where the hell are the buttons? Don't tell me it's a huge touch screen. That would be terrible. I don't want to look down to make sure I'm pressing the right buttons, or pressing them at all.
Based on that mockup, it seems like the Pad and the two clicky buttons are actually penetrating through the screen. In that case, that's some weird LCD resolution they have there, and that physical pad/buttons would be taking up actual display real-estate, unless they're taking the Palm-ish approach of having this "touch area" within the pad/buttons regions simply displaying misc data which would border the actual game display area. The so-called "joke of a touchscreen" claims posted by that guy is not for direct interaction, but to enhance the pad's function and give it "faux" analog control.

I am still skeptical of this mockup, despite how cleaver the idea might sound.

I doubt it. DSi is the DS2. Nintendo would be absolutely retarded to pull a Sega and release another new DS so soon and kill off any development DSi had

I doubt it. DSi is the DS2. Nintendo would be absolutely retarded to pull a Sega and release another new DS so soon and kill off any development DSi had
Not unless it pulls off an iPad and is fully backward compatible with added 2x scaling.

Speaking of which, about those dev kits...(no word?)

Also wondering about the devkits... Also, is anyone aware of a change of plans between nVidia and Nintendo?

IGN claims that Tegra in the DS2 is not happening according to some developers they talked to.

Someone made a good argument to me that the BOM for Tegra2 is too high for the DS2. It needs too many support chips (high performance memory, etc. etc.) and that the overall silicon cost would be far too high for Nintendo to be comfortable.

David

Back