NV got DS2 contract according to BSN

I'm sure they're happy with their small iPhone design win. I'm sure I speak for Simon & everybody else when I say: go troll somewhere else!!

Tommy McClain

I don't know how often I've mentioned or implied it here in different threads, so it's hardly any surprise for me. In fact I still insist that Nintendo has Tegra IP under its wings and SONY IMG IP.

Want to open any new thread for the latter (as there already exists one) and chearlead there?

I wonder how much value Bright Side of News really has. Given the number of mistakes I find in their articles, and the number of obviously unsustained claims, I have difficulty sorting the lies and the truth.

That doesn't mean Tegra won't be used by Nintendo, just that I'll wait for some other source of information before believing it :rolleyes:

I wonder how much value Bright Side of News really has. Given the number of mistakes I find in their articles, and the number of obviously unsustained claims, I have difficulty sorting the lies and the truth.

That doesn't mean Tegra won't be used by Nintendo, just that I'll wait for some other source of information before believing it :rolleyes:

Your doubts are perfectly understandable. But given that AMD has sold it's handheld department how many IHVs are there really left to license graphics IP from?

I know of at least three vendors who provide graphics IP for ARM-based SoC:

- ARM (ex Falanx)
- IMG tec
- nVidia

Of the three I'd say nVidia provides the less flexibility because it looks like its graphics IP only comes with Tegra.

Again I'm not saying the article is wrong, but when I see mentions of 16-bit ARM cores and Cortex being misspelled as CorTex, it's already way too much for me to swallow :)

There really isn't anything new with Theo's leak; you'll find more info on this forum when me and/or Ailuros hint about it, really... And his speculation doesn't make any sense anyway.

As I said before, it's nearly certainly a 40nm *custom* SoC based on Tegra2 IP (DX9-level like Tegra1) and a single Cortex-A9 with FPU. Tegra1 has 2 TMUs, Tegra2 probably has 4 TMUs. It'd be a relatively safe bet to assume they're going to stick to that, but who knows. I also have no clue about what kind of multimedia system Nintendo might have asked for.

There really isn't anything new with Theo's leak; you'll find more info on this forum when me and/or Ailuros hint about it, really... And his speculation doesn't make any sense anyway.

As I said before, it's nearly certainly a 40nm *custom* SoC based on Tegra2 IP (DX9-level like Tegra1) and a single Cortex-A9 with FPU. Tegra1 has 2 TMUs, Tegra2 probably has 4 TMUs. It'd be a relatively safe bet to assume they're going to stick to that, but who knows. I also have no clue about what kind of multimedia system Nintendo might have asked for.
Funny, you would think with it's dual screen a DS would be a perfect candidate for a dual-core :) But since that's unlikely in 2010 and in 40nm a single core Cortex-A9 sounds reasonable. Nintendo with modern hardware... it's been a while ;)

Does anyone have an idea how it would be done? I mean does Nintendo buy the chips from Nvidia directly, or license the design and built it how- and wherever they want? Wouldn't it make more sense for Nintendo to design the chip themselves? Tegra2 doesn't really sound like the uber-SoC, I think you can build something comparable on your own with an ARM and IMG license and have more freedom and control, and Nintendo certainly has the money to do it. Just wondering.

Would Nintendo even go with 2 screens again? That was always something of a compromise to get lots of screen while keeping prices down. But LCDs have become so cheap in the mean time it doesn't make as much sense anymore. I'm curious to see where Nintendo goes with their next handheld.

Again I'm not saying the article is wrong, but when I see mentions of 16-bit ARM cores and Cortex being misspelled as CorTex, it's already way too much for me to swallow :)
these were the mildest mistakes in his two recent articles i've read. in the LRB one i literally gasped a few times.

i wonder why the guy does not bother to at least try to be correct with basic factual information.

Wonder if this indicates that the deal nVidia signed with Sony a year or so ago was not for the PSP2 as assumed?

Would Nintendo even go with 2 screens again? That was always something of a compromise to get lots of screen while keeping prices down. But LCDs have become so cheap in the mean time it doesn't make as much sense anymore. I'm curious to see where Nintendo goes with their next handheld.
Well, if Nintendo doesn't go with 2 screens again then "DS2" would be just... wrong. With only a single screen "Gameboy 2" or "SS" would make more sense ;)

What's to prevent Nintendo from shrinking the Gamecube for the next DS? Let's be realistic here, handhelds are far from being able to produce high end DX9 level graphics while maintaining a good battery life at a cheap price. I don't see why a mini-Gamecube would be bad.

Well, if Nintendo doesn't go with 2 screens again then "DS2" would be just... wrong. With only a single screen "Gameboy 2" or "SS" would make more sense ;)

That's just the point, I don't see any reason to believe Nintendo is calling this the DS2, that's just a lot of uninformed guesswork by blogs reporting the contract. We just know it's for Nintendo's next handheld. There's not telling what is will actually be like. Both the DS and the Wii were out of the blue innovations on their part, so I'm curious where they'll go next.

Isn't that exactly what Tegra is supposed to provide?

Certainly not the high end DX9 part from what I've seen. I saw Quake 3 running on it at 35 fps or something. We're talking about PS2/GC/XB generation graphics here.

Let say it can do Quake 4 then, how's the battery life? This is something Nintendo pays very close attention to, and is very important for a portable. I groaned when I found out the original DS Fat had 6-8 hour battery life. It was way too short.

Certainly not the high end DX9 part from what I've seen. I saw Quake 3 running on it at 35 fps or something. We're talking about PS2/GC/XB generation graphics here.

Let say it can do Quake 4 then, how's the battery life? This is something Nintendo pays very close attention to, and is very important for a portable. I groaned when I found out the original DS Fat had 6-8 hour battery life. It was way too short.

The demonstration I've seen showed Quake 3 running at 35fps @ 800x480 with 5xcsaa and 8xaf on a first generation Tegra chip. Nintendo's handheld will be using a much lower resolution than that (something like 480x272 is just 1/3 as many pixels) and using a second generation Tegra chip so performance will be much better than that. I think that bodes rather well for pushing better than Wii graphics (at least if resolution is disregarded) personally.

Yes, but what about battery life? For handheld, battery life is the number one consideration for me and for Nintendo. They can duct tape 2 DSes together for all I care if the battery life is 20+ hours.

Are you making these assumptions of poor battery life based on some information that's been released? Or is it that you just believe battery life will be low simply because the graphics are good?

Back