Mitsubishi shows 155 inch OLED display.

Interesting, but not yet practical... Made of 720 OLED panels with 256 pixels each. :)

I'll be more interested when they get the average lifespan to be greater than 5 years for half illumination. All OLED devices I've used in the past have all gone to poo in a year or less.

Regards,
SB

The way I read it was 720 units, 4 OLED panels per unit, 256pixels per panel. :) Still, doesn't seem a lot. :p

36x20 panels (judging by the millimetre measurements)

For billboards and ads etc? Sure, but wake me when we can have OLEDs at home with high resolution at a decent cost. ;)

Assuming the pixels are square... 576x320 seems... a long way to go.

Call me when they're 1080p, 60inches and under 5k. Until they, yawn....
although the OLED on the new Zune HD looks awesome!

The way I read it was 720 units, 4 OLED panels per unit, 256pixels per panel. :) Still, doesn't seem a lot. :p

36x20 panels (judging by the millimetre measurements)

Assuming the pixels are square... 576x320 seems... a long way to go.

I think it's actually 1152x640 so four times the pixels compared to 576x320.

It has 720 units, 4 panels per unit and 256 pixels per panel (1/4 unit.) One unit has 1024 pixels x 720=737280.

The height of the screen was 1920mm that divided by the vertical resolution of 640 gives you the 3mm pixel pitch mentioned in the article. I think the article has confused some parts with regards to units and panels.

I'm curious about what kind of gap they have between panels. If they can make it look really seamless, then this looks like a fantastic way to scale OLED to large sizes.

It has 720 units, 4 panels per unit and 256 pixels per panel (1/4 unit.) One unit has 1024 pixels x 720=737280.

uh huh... you're repeating what I wrote...

But anyways, yeah, seems a pretty interesting way to scale OLEDs... be nice for EyeFinity concept :!:

Assuming the 720 units are arranged in a 36x20 matrix and each panel is 16x16, it's working out at 2304x1280 pixels to me.

the 3mm pitch : it could be a wrong calculation ("oops! forgot units have four panel")

I've re-read the article, and apparently it's not a smoke-and-mirrors tech demonstrations, but a cheaper alternative to "Time Square" LED-based displays. Potentially practical :)

Well if the total number of pixels is 737280... Where do you get a 4x increase out of...:?: Just from the 3mm pitch?

So they used 4 of those combined 720 units... That is some pretty shady wording they have. :|

At any rate, still got some way to go...

So they used 4 of those combined 720 units... That is some pretty shady wording they have. :|

At any rate, still got some way to go...

Like I said I think the article got some things confused. The 720 units, 4 panels per unit and 256 pixels per panel were right, but one panel is not 96x96mm, as that is really the size of a unit. One panel is actually 48x48mm. The screen has 720 units in 36x20 configuration and the screen height is 1920mm, that divided by 20 units is 96mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back