Will Powerplay/Hybrid CF/Hybrid Power make a comeback?

gongo

Regular
You know i kinda like this feature, and looking at how next year PC tech will be spent on IGP chipsets rather than CPU perf upgrades, whats stopping AMD/Nvidia and even Intel to make the above feature fully standard? As much as HD5870 reduces idle consumption to 30w but ... a 55nm/40nm IGP should go lower, gives out less heat and becomes less noisy....and would make users feel that the chipset in their motherboard is paid to work rather than disabling it once you install a GPU....really techie feature.

Is it hardware costs of adding more traces of transistors? Is it at the drivers level? Or is it Windows problem? Can we totally turn off a GPU and move all load to the IGP in 2D desktop and only turn on the GPU when launching a 3D game..the IGP will go to low power state for fast alt-tabbing (which is slow for AMD GPU)...you know dual desktop rendered ? I think some Apple NV macbooks did this. Windows 7 support dual GPU ya rite?

i actually asked Jason Paul and Drew Henry about this at their GTC last week.

They say they have a next generation coming with 'switchable graphics' between Intel IG and a discreet Nvidia GPU with radical power savings. And i *thought* they said this year. But to be sure about the timing, i'd have to find the video i taped there and i am working on 40 GB of it

i actually asked Jason Paul and Drew Henry about this at their GTC last week.

They say they have a next generation coming with 'switchable graphics' between Intel IG and a discreet Nvidia GPU with radical power savings. And i *thought* they said this year. But to be sure about the timing, i'd have to find the video i taped there and i am working on 40 GB of it

At least AMD/ATI already support switchable gfx with Intel IGP and Mobility Radeon since HD3-series
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/switchable-graphics/Pages/switchable-graphics.aspx

I'm quite positive nV has something similar already out too, but couldn't find it quickly from their site

At least AMD/ATI already support switchable gfx with Intel IGP and Mobility Radeon since HD3-series
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/switchable-graphics/Pages/switchable-graphics.aspx

I'm quite positive nV has something similar already out too, but couldn't find it quickly from their site

yes Nvidia does; Alienware uses 2xGTX280 M in their top laptop that throttles down to IG when it is not needed

What Nvidia was talking about was their "next gen" Switchable graphics .. and i don't believe it is limited to notebooks.

i can write and ask them for clarification if you like

Has anyone had any experience with the newer solutions like the Alienware one mentioned? Is it as flawless an implementation as you'd hope for? It makes all kind of sense to enable such a solution if the machine has both a discrete and integrated GPU already.

They probably use a DVI switch to select between the outputs, which would be easy to design in a laptop environment but require special bridging on a desktop PC, something like a cable between the motherboard and the graphics card.

Switchable Graphics at 1st Gen, requires a reboot.

2nd Gen works only inside Vista and Windows 7, however it requires 30 secs switching in between.

Back