AMD: R9xx Speculation

It actually wouldn't have made any difference to performance. We have tested these types of configurations in the past.

In its targeted performance range, certainly not - FPS sink below playable before the extra ROPs could do something. :) I was thinking from the perspective of - still pending- possible unlocks and doing crossfire, where it could show soem benefit. Otoh, I do remember similar a discussion about ROPs during Barts launch, was it here at B3D? It was something about the extra ROPs being a minor improvement, but still better than adding more shaders, in terms of die area used, do I remember that right?

I've just totally lost track of what AMD GPU generation this thread is about. Is R9xx the same as Souther Islands? I'd imagine that Southern Islands is AMD's rival to Nvidia's Kepler family.

Not as embarrassing as patenting an 140mm fan for use inside a PSU.

Sorry for OT, but i was really shocked when I recently found out about it

PowerColor HD 6970 X2
powercolorradeonhd6970x2computex01.jpg

The Radeon HD 6970 X2 features a higher-than-standard PCB (that is shorter than the HD 6990), is equipped with a dual-slot dual-fan cooler, a PCI bridge chip (probably made by LucidLogix), and has 3072 Stream Processors, a GPU clock of 880 MHz, a 2 x 256-bit memory interface, 4GB of GDDR5 VRAM @ 5500 MHz, and dual-DVI, HDMI and dual mini DisplayPort outputs....

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/...hows-radeon-hd-6970-x2-dual-gpu-card-computex

Triplex HD 6950 X2
triplex_dual_6950_1.jpg.png

It’s easy to forget some of the smaller graphics card makers, but walking around at a trade show like Computex you do realize that these companies are spending a lot of resources on trying to compete with the big guys. By a lucky coincidence we happened to walk past the Triplex booth which was hidden away on the far side of hall two and spotted a dual Radeon HD 6950 graphics card....

http://vr-zone.com/articles/triplex-shows-of-dual-radeon-hd-6950-at-computex/12505.html

PowerColor HD 6870 X2
powercolorradeonhd6870x2computex01-575x489.jpg

PowerColor's new dual-GPU offering has 2240 Stream Processors, a GPU clock of 900 MHz, a 2 x 256-bit memory interface, a memory clock of 4200 MHz, dual-DVI, HDMI and dual mini DIsplayPort outputs, and is equipped with a custom dual-slot cooler boasting two fans and five copper heatpipes.

The Radeon HD 6870 X2 is expected to go on sale by the end of this month priced at $449.....
http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/...firms-its-radeon-hd-6870-x2-card-coming-month

Does this belong to a new thread or here? (since technicly SI is 1xxx, not 9xx)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1612784
Mark your calendars for July 16th! AMD and HardOCP are teaming up to deliver the community a GamExperience! Tourneys will be played. Raffles and tons of free stuff will be had. Free-for-all headshots will be made. Winners will be crowned. Losers will be chastised! VIP lounge for Tourney players, plenty of Fusion, Eyefinity, and Big Screen demo stations. And yes, we will give the HardOCP community their first hands-on GamExperience with AMD's next generation unannounced hardware. This event will be open to the public in Dallas, Texas. More details coming soon.

Oh yeah! because AMD only makes graphics cards!!!

(whoops :p)

Well it was posted already to the appropriate thread too, by me (didn't remember it existed)
Of course it could be CPU too or even Llano or something, but it conincides with Fusion Developer Summit or whatever it was, where they've said they'll be showing off "Graphics Core Next"

both AMD and NV are flushing chip inventory in prep for their 28nm hardware. get it out of the warehouse before its value plummets. NV has that 560 448 and this looks like AMD's edition of that. They have used this strategy before.

I expect it will be 8-10% slower than HD 6950 (Cayman's performance scales more wit clocks than with the number of active SIMDs). I think 5% above HD 6870 seems to be possible.

I am very sceptical about the existence of such a card at all. :D
Even Fudzilla wrote it in their article:

Of course, take this info with a handful, rather than a pinch of salt, since our sources have all heard rumours, but haven't seen any concrete evidence regarding such a card, at least not in Europe. To make matters worse our sources are telling us that there is no such launch scheduled for the rumoured mid-December date.

I remember ATI (and AMD) launched many analogous models only in Asia or for OEMs. Some products were launched only by a single manufacturing partner, e.g. X800 VE (was it Club3D or PowerColor?), HD 4850 X2 (Sapphire) etc.

Back