AMD: R9xx Speculation

Wouldn't that make sense if the 5770 were to get renamed into the 6750 or such?

Normally,
xx90 = 1.1x xx80
xx80 => 1.2x xx50 would be the case.

I don't see cutting ROPs as to any benefit for selling the card- voltages are probably an easier way to go. This card itself however still serves to sell 6850s in the end.

Plus, while cutting down on perf/W on an existing design is always bad, keep in mind that they're doing it on an SKU that has one of the highest metrics in the market now.

Yes but read my quote again and you'll see I trust this information much less than the rest of the leaked info...

Sorry, I was a little too quick. But as far as I know, we only know about the 6790 from NordicHardware, don't we? So why should we accept that it exists, but doubt that it actually is what they say it is?

I guess we'll know soon enough, but I can only hope that AMD has learned its lesson and won't unleash a new 5830.

Last edited by a moderator:
But as far as I know, we only know about the 6790 from NordicHardware, don't we?
Do we?

full.jpg

Well the clocks are already in-between 6850 and 6870. Since it's a salvage part I'm assuming it runs at the same voltage as HD6870 even for that clock, hence the high power consumption.
They most likely also use the 6870 PCB to save costs, hence two 6-pin slots. Maybe they're declaring 150W to justify them and let others measure the true consupmtion during testing? But I agree, would be to close to a 6850 and at the alleged 130$ price tag would be a steal. So there have to be some caveats we are unaware of yet - maybe the higher powerconsumption? Or indeed cut ROPs. Just a week to find out. :)

Some have found HD 5830 to be quite a bargain too, others were only reporting about baffled looks after the release of the card.

edit:
Just looked 5770/1G and 6850 in our local price search engine up. Between 95 and 128 Euros respectively for the cheapest available cards, there's not much room for the 6790 to fit in. I've got the feeling since quite while actually, that the sub 150 EUR market is really densely populated as of late. Same with CPUs, but there a little longer. I really don't understand the motivation behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blegh, another salvage part ala HD5830, GTX465, GTX460SE.

I very much dislike products based on salvaged parts. It's like if a restaurant created a dish out of their collected table scraps from the garbage bin and burnt/rotten ingredients (6850 reject chips), added a ton of seasoning and garnish (dual 6-pin power and same TDP as a full 1120SP Barts) to mask the rotting taste and smell and had the gall to charge you the same price as a fresh dish made from scratch. I know and believe recycling is good and all that jazz, but this still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This also leads me to believe we won't see a true replacement for Juniper any time soon.
You might not like buying these parts, but if no one bought them the cost of your fully enabled part would be higher.

Sorry, I was a little too quick. But as far as I know, we only know about the 6790 from NordicHardware, don't we? So why should we accept that it exists, but doubt that it actually is what they say it is?
Well I think they could have got the information (which is in the text) and made up the table themselves. Plus, if the leak source is just using GPU-Z for the information then ROP count might not be correct.
I guess we'll know soon enough, but I can only hope that AMD has learned its lesson and won't unleash a new 5830.
There's always hope :).
Even if it has only 16 ROPs, it could still be quite ok (certainly enough to beat HD5770 and GTX 560Ti) as long as AMD has fixed the problem that the 16 ROPs act like the card only has half the bandwidth.

I'm sure we could put together a B3D cheerleading team to revitalize DAAMIT if need be. I volunteer Digi. :)

"tapped out" is a term from wrestling, and some martial arts, whereby a person who is pinned to the ground, or otherwise immobilized, will tap the floor to signal they are giving up the round.

I think "tapped out" can also refer to something having been emptied. An oil well can be tapped out and so can a maple tree, of its syrup.

A person who is bereft of funds, broke, might refer to them self as being tapped out.

A person who is exhausted might say it too, as in the context of their energy level.

So I think we are seeing a play on words here, the difference between taped out and tapped out.

"tapped out" is a term from wrestling, and some martial arts, whereby a person who is pinned to the ground, or otherwise immobilized, will tap the floor to signal they are giving up the round.

I think "tapped out" can also refer to something having been emptied. An oil well can be tapped out and so can a maple tree, of its syrup.

A person who is bereft of funds, broke, might refer to them self as being tapped out.

A person who is exhausted might say it too, as in the context of their energy level.

So I think we are seeing a play on words here, the difference between taped out and tapped out.
:LOL: Ok I finally get it, Squilliam also made a joke about it in another thread which I did not get either.

"Taped out" comes from when the final plans for manufacturing ICs were sent to the foundry on magnetic tape. Although magnetic tape is rarely used any more, the phrase is still around.

It's a similar thing when a software company says a game has "gone gold" because of the gold master that used to be burned and sent to the manufacturing plant.

AMD isn't "tapped out", they "taped out".

"Taped out" comes from when the final plans for manufacturing ICs were sent to the foundry on magnetic tape. Although magnetic tape is rarely used any more, the phrase is still around.

It's a similar thing when a software company says a game has "gone gold" because of the gold master that used to be burned and sent to the manufacturing plant.

AMD isn't "tapped out", they "taped out".

Yes, but there was some humor injected into the thread as a typo in a link read "they tapped out". So the joke was, paraphrasing, "Don't give up AMD!" :)

Nice explanation/refresher though.

The play on words: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1540227&postcount=7312

Back