AMD: R9xx Speculation

In any case, I'm still wondering about the remaining rv9xx parts. What happened to Turks/Caicos??? You can even buy their mobile siblings now (at least in the macbook), the oem parts are officially out since a month yet their was no launch at all. I think at least Turks would deserve a little attention.

They haven't launched in the retail channel yet. sometime in Q2.

Would AMD really take up capacity producing Redwood instead of Turks? (sure they can make a few more redwoods on the same wafer, but they can also sell Turks for more).

If, big if, they are capacity constrained, it would then depend on whether they think it's more important to try to gain marketshare in the CPU market (very low compared to Intel) or chip away at Nvidia's marketshare in the GPU market.

They may find it's better in the long run to gain more CPU wins in the OEM space which means more AMD systems and potentially more AMD GPU wins in the future. Rather than the other way around.

Then again, if you just limit retail penetration of those GPUs, you still maintain OEM wins with GPUs with the potential to significantly boost CPU design wins. In the long term that may be better than constraining OEM CPU design wins in order to boost retail GPU sales.

Regards,
SB

Patience is a Virtu (pun intended)

Here I was, hoping it was because they were going to be more-or-less replaced by that addition found in the 10.4 Cats...and it would launch to be paired with Llano.

/Dreaming

(BTW, why is noone talking about that...Isn't it huge news?)

Here I was, hoping it was because they were going to be more-or-less replaced by that addition found in the 10.4 Cats...and it would launch to be paired with Llano.

/Dreaming

(BTW, why is noone talking about that...Isn't it huge news?)
Yeah, I wonder why no one is speculating that hard anymore. AMD is going to do some funky sh** with Llano but no one seemed to have picked it up at CeBIT.

Seamless switchable graphics for desktops?

Hybrid Crossfire, probably. It would be quite good for AMD, think about it: it might make Llano more powerful than Sandy Bridge for games, provided you have an AMD graphics card; and it will make AMD graphics cards much more appealing, provided you have a Llano CPU.

Yeah, I wonder why no one is speculating that hard anymore. AMD is going to do some funky sh** with Llano but no one seemed to have picked it up at CeBIT.

I meant 11.4. Whoops. You know what I meant. :) (Lombak/Thames)

Thames, of course, is the smallest rumored member of the 28nm mobility generation. Judging by the suffixes, Lombak is it's fitting Sunda Island desktop/workstation counterpart. It's said (by 3-month old DH info) to be 128-bit and twice as fast as Caicos. All or none of that may be true. Fact remains, it's now in the drivers...and sounds like an awful nice counterpart to Llano.

AMD doesn't usually put SKUs in the graphics drivers until fairly shortly before launch, do they? I imagine for AIB/OEM validation/QC/what-not?. The last time this happened in very-late August (NI parts in Catalyst), they were all meant to launch before the end of 2010. I know there were other similar instances from both chip makers, I just can't recall them specifically. Heck, Barts' launch was only two months after that last instance. If we're seeing this GPU in March drivers, and Llano is launching in June/July-ish, is it that far of a stretch?

Which leads me to my next question...Does it make sense a small 28nm part would remain 5D to crossfire/'virtu-like' with Llano? AMD must have a plan for this that expands beyond 40nm and Caicos/Turks/Redwood (which is obvious). I have no idea if the 4/5D architectures are compatible (any insight would be appreciated), but I would imagine what was true for a 225mm 40nm chip (sticking with 5D) would remain similar for a 28nm part slightly larger than half that size or less. There has to be something going on there.

Like I said, perhaps this is a bout of wishful thinking, but I think something is coming together that could be quite interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
If, big if, they are capacity constrained, it would then depend on whether they think it's more important to try to gain marketshare in the CPU market (very low compared to Intel) or chip away at Nvidia's marketshare in the GPU market.

They may find it's better in the long run to gain more CPU wins in the OEM space which means more AMD systems and potentially more AMD GPU wins in the future. Rather than the other way around.

Then again, if you just limit retail penetration of those GPUs, you still maintain OEM wins with GPUs with the potential to significantly boost CPU design wins. In the long term that may be better than constraining OEM CPU design wins in order to boost retail GPU sales.

Regards,
SB

IIRC, a huge expansion in 40nm capacity was due @TSMC 3Q10. I could be wrong but there shouldn't be any capacity issues today.

Thames, of course, is the smallest rumored member of the 28nm mobility generation. Judging by the suffixes, Lombak is it's fitting Sunda Island desktop/workstation counterpart. It's said (by 3-month old DH info) to be 128-bit and twice as fast as Caicos.
I'm especially curious about Thames - twice as fast as Caicos, that could mean something like 4 (x16 VLIW4 or 5) shader arrays. In other words, transistor count similar or even a bit below that or redwood. On 28nm - that should be a chip somewhere around 60mm². I wonder how they crammed a 128bit gddr5 bus in there? Granted they'd probably go for a "low-speed" phy again, but still... Just highly rectangular die?
Which leads me to my next question...Does it make sense a small 28nm part would remain 5D to crossfire/'virtu-like' with Llano?
I don't think it would make sense to still do 5D parts if it's just for CF with another part.

AMD must have a plan for this that expands beyond 40nm and Caicos/Turks/Redwood (which is obvious). I have no idea if the 4/5D architectures are compatible (any insight would be appreciated), but I would imagine what was true for a 225mm 40nm chip (sticking with 5D) would remain similar for a 28nm part slightly larger than half that size or less. There has to be something going on there.
I think in theory you could Crossfire just about anything - it's dumb AFR after all (just look at what Lucid is doing). That said, your driver overhead is going to grow - you'd need to compile all shaders twice, for instance, but as long as your two parts are still similar in performance it could work (maybe the driver could do that already, not quite sure which chips work in crossfire configuration today but unless it's really the same chip there are always subtle differences which means you need different compiled shaders).

Like I said, perhaps this is a bout of wishful thinking, but I think something is coming together that could be quite interesting.
I don't know hybrid crossfire doesn't sound THAT interesting to me. Integrated is still too slow to be crossfired with anything but quite slow discrete cards. Now if you could use integrated for, say, physx, that would probably be different...

hybrid crossfire may be interesting for a multimedia workstation with multiple displays and some gaming.
but a radeon 5770 is affordable and wipes the floor with it, and can sit on a cheap IGP-less motherboard with a low end Bulldozer.

so, it's good but is a niche.

8.84.2-110322a-115845E.2:
"AMD Radeon HD 6750" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BE&SUBSYS_39821642
"ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO " = ati2mtag_RV610, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C3&SUBSYS_37161642
"AMD Radeon HD 6200 series Graphics" = ati2mtag_Wrestler, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9804
"AMD Radeon HD 6200 series Graphics " = ati2mtag_Wrestler, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9805
"AMD Radeon HD 6300 series Graphics" = ati2mtag_Wrestler, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9802
"AMD Radeon HD 6300 series Graphics " = ati2mtag_Wrestler, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9803
"AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series " = ati2mtag_NI, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_673E
"AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series" = ati2mtag_NI, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6738
"AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series " = ati2mtag_NI, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739
"AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series" = ati2mtag_NICayman, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6718
"AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series " = ati2mtag_NICayman, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6719
"AMD Radeon HD 6990" = ati2mtag_NICayman, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_671C
"AMD Radeon HD 6990 " = ati2mtag_NICayman, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_671D
There is no HD6770.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back