AMD: R9xx Speculation

There shouldn't even be a GTS 250. It should be 9800GTX yet. Or 8800GTS 512 for that matter. ;) It's not even DX10.1. But they gotta keep it looking "fresh" instead of ultra stale I guess. I almost expect it to get another new name at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will they be different from the OEM ones? :???:

Yes, you can buy them without getting a computer with it, as well. :LOL:

I doubt clocks will be much different, I expect it likely to be a complete GDDR5 line up at launch, for the extra memory bandwidth (actually useful for Turks). Although the lure of 1GB box art always sways partners to go DDR3 instead of 512MB GDDR5, but the latter should be cheap enough now to stick on all the cards.

Yeah, I'd expected 6990 by now, weird that it hasn't emerged o_O

There won't be a new manufacturing process able for mass production, available for quite some time. Rumors suggest that new cards manufactured on that process will not see the day of light until the end of the year or even maybe the beginning of the next one.

So, maybe both Nvidia and AMD are holding their horses in order to present something that is passable as "new", later on.

There won't be a new manufacturing process able for mass production, available for quite some time. Rumors suggest that new cards manufactured on that process will not see the day of light until the end of the year or even maybe the beginning of the next one.

So, maybe both Nvidia and AMD are holding their horses in order to present something that is passable as "new", later on.

6990 is 2x Cayman, not on a new process or some such

6990 is 2x Cayman, not on a new process or some such

Yes I know. That's what I am saying! :)

Since there will not be a new process available, they are holding onto the dual gpu cards, so they will have something to present, midway or thereabout to the new process.

But doesn't that mean that NOW is the time for it to be available. ;)

Although it would indeed be more "late" if it arrived and couldn't compete.

The new rumor is 6990 will only launched in Apr after GTX590? I have a feeling AMD really did misjudged Fermi 2.0...always suspected...but going from their slide that Antilles will be the most powerful gpu .....to waiting for GTX590..something is up.

I'd rather say, AMD is aware the next generation will arrive rather late, so they try to delay Antilles for as long as possible, to avoid a long time period with nothing new. After all, 5970 is still the fastest card out there. Apart from that, the neverending quest of writing drivers continues.

Back