Bitboys CEO Shane Long left the company

ram said:
Shane Long, which was a former 3dfx Vice President, has been CEO at Bitboys for some time. Obvioulsy he has left. The new management mentions "Juha Taipale" as new CEO.

Did Long left when they closed their Texas office?

http://www.bitboys.fi/management_team.html

Well, that page also says:

The company's family of XBAâ„¢ enabled graphics processors is definitely a break from conventional wisdom and their success will be a tribute to ingenuity.

Now that is funny.

Well he was chief executive officer and if there is one thing that Bitboys have not exactly manged to do its execute... ;)

I noticed that change a month ago and it was a matter of time to come up.

I am waiting to get permission publish some quotes here, but that happens not until tomorrow as earliest.

before that, I can't say much even I really would like to. (I would be more than happy clean up some of this before it goes too public.)

Bjorn said:
ram said:
Shane Long, which was a former 3dfx Vice President, has been CEO at Bitboys for some time. Obvioulsy he has left. The new management mentions "Juha Taipale" as new CEO.

Did Long left when they closed their Texas office?

http://www.bitboys.fi/management_team.html

Well, that page also says:

The company's family of XBAâ„¢ enabled graphics processors is definitely a break from conventional wisdom and their success will be a tribute to ingenuity.

Now that is funny.

I don't think you even know half of how funny that is... ;)

IMO, we will see XBA based product, but I do have a good reason doubt right now that first XBA based GPU would be targetted to PC Market...

Nappe1 said:
IMO, we will see XBA based product, but I do have a good reason doubt right now that first XBA based GPU would be targetted to PC Market...

Hmmm, well my local meat market is low on GPUs... ;)

If you're talking consoles, I'd have my doubts about that as well. I suppose Nintendo has a history of going with sort of a "dark horse" in ArtX, since that deal was made well before they were acquired by ATI, but it seems like MS and Nintendo will need to make their current consoles profitable before promoting the next generation, so figure at least a few years there. PS3 should be the next new console, but Sony seems content to go with their own chips, even if developers hate their system architecture. So that's, what, at least 2-3 years before we could see a new console, let alone one with a BB chip. How exactly does this company manage to stay alive without producing any products? They must have some very trusting venture capitalists backing them. Sure, if they could come up with a contract to design the next major console chip, that would no doubt resolve a lot of doubts about their future, but in the meantime you gotta wonder how they manage to stay flush... :-?

Dolemite said:
Nappe1 said:

Hmmm, well my local meat market is low on GPUs... ;)

If you're talking consoles...

I am not actually sure what it will be. I just have a good reason to believe that first XBA based chip isn't going to be PC -market product. Of course I have some guesses, but saying them here would be as same as saying that Bitboys prehypes again. That's why I am going to leave to the others.

Well if it was a BitBoys console chip, wouldn't it be more fitting for a Sega, Atari, 3DO, or Intellivision comeback? jk Nappe1, not trying to give a hard time.

I think it's funny that the XBA bandwidth example on their website claims they will reach an amazing 20 GB/sec bandwidth... which the Parhelia almost matches now, and we've seen how much good it does without a fast core to go with it. Makes me wonder why they even bother having a webpage these days, seems like a waste of precious investment cash :)

Intellivision

Intellivision ? Does that mean i can play b 17 bomber again with the voice attachment .. hehe that was the best system... i had that before nes .. god it was great being 4 years old , playing on a 4 year old system

tb said:
Xbox 2

;)

Thomas

Some of the key reasons why nVidia got the Xbox contract were the proven track record and the ability to execute. Bitboys track record has been nothing if not consistent; however I don't its the kind of consistency MS wants.

I wouldn't expect BB to enter the console business. But new product could have something to do with mobile platforms like PowerVR´s new MBX. BB have had a lot of troubles in the past and they desperately need a working product. But like nappe1 stated, we´ll see in Assembly what BB has been working on.

The XBA architecture should be suited for the handheld segment.
If BB manage to reduce off-chip mem. acc. with the XBA architecture,
power consumption will decrease significantly.

The handheld segment is growing rapidly. Most industry analysts agrees that
mobile gaming is the driving factor (Datamonitor estimates 200 million mobile
gamers in Europe in 2006). If these gamers will play SMS / txt based
games or stunning 3D graphics games is yet to be determined.

Another possibility is that BB targets Set-top-box segments or mobile computers
Both segments grows rapidly and could benefit from more powerful
DirectX 8 graphics solutions. (Xabre)

Infineon has many customers in the handheld segments / STB (?). They also
announced this: http://www.infineon.com/news/press/206_113e.htm today

Either way, leaving the PC industry is a good strategic decision for BB. The market
situation together with the increasing complexity of the chips makes it hard
for a small company to enter.

There are more to 3D graphics than high-end gaming.

One thing you really need to consider for mobile 3D games is display quality. Fast-paced games will not work well if the display reaction time is low, as many cheaper LCD's are...

Back