AMD: R9xx Speculation

Maybe not adjust then, but it monitors:
fot023.jpg

And maybe without the right drivers the pover tune can also decrease the power :?:. So some of the posted bench numbers could be higher.

It would interesting if AMD comes with power profile for games :)

Some games run ridiculously fast (+100fps) it could be interesting to run the card at really low power, just to ensure the game run @+60 fps.

I had a similar thought, the day this powertuning slide leaked out. I was thinking that you could use max tdp for a game like Crysis, but min tdp for a game like Torchlight.

It is great as it stands, but it could be tiresome switching and sliding all the time. So I wish AMD has implemented some kind of user based profiling for each game, so we don't have to switch all the time.

One more interesting aspect of this, would be if the powertuning kicks in itseft, when you are running a game with vsync on.

For example, running Trackmania with vsync off, could provide 120+fps which is not really needed. Now if you chose to play the game with vsync on, the powertune could kick in and underclock and undervolt the card at the same time. Same goes for every other game, but it would require a very smart monitoring.

Now that would be a great implementation of power tuning. It would make Evergreen look like a power guzzler!

And maybe without the right drivers the pover tune can also decrease the power :?:. So some of the posted bench numbers could be higher.

That's an interesting notion! :idea:

=========================================

So let me get this straight. We now know (thanks to neliz) that the 6970 is 25% faster than the GTX 470 and that is without the max power tuning option?

Also we know (thanks to gibbo) that the 6970 will be more than 100 pounds less expensive than GTX 580, which puts it in 570 pricing territory?

All in all a card faster than 580 at 570 money? Am I too far off? yes, no?

So let me get this straight. We now know (thanks to neliz) that the 6970 is 25% faster than the GTX 470 and that is without the max power tuning option?
No ,Normally the card is operating at a lower TDP , the results of the slides are when it is running at maximum power .

I guess, Charlie will lose all left credit with this news one day beforce the launch.

How can a obvious joke hurt anyones credibility? :???:

Just for the sake of it, as if the article itself and the image aren't clear enough:
Editor's note: This article heavily uses the new HTML6.2 <sarcasm> and <bullshit> tags. If your browser does not support them, please upgrade to a version that does. Thank you.

I had a similar thought, the day this powertuning slide leaked out. I was thinking that you could use max tdp for a game like Crysis, but min tdp for a game like Torchlight.

It is great as it stands, but it could be tiresome switching and sliding all the time. So I wish AMD has implemented some kind of user based profiling for each game, so we don't have to switch all the time.

One more interesting aspect of this, would be if the powertuning kicks in itseft, when you are running a game with vsync on.

For example, running Trackmania with vsync off, could provide 120+fps which is not really needed. Now if you chose to play the game with vsync on, the powertune could kick in and underclock and undervolt the card at the same time. Same goes for every other game, but it would require a very smart monitoring.

Now that would be a great implementation of power tuning. It would make Evergreen look like a power guzzler!

I dont really see the point of this at all.

About the only point I can see is, maybe if your power supply is not up to snuff, you can lock your card down to be safe. However, of the demographic buying $400 video cards, I dont see that as a big issue.

And I guess you could turn it down on non demanding games, but I think idle power is a lot more important in power consumption than what your card is doing that fraction of time it's actually running games.

But I'm probably missing the point as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont really see the point of this at all.

About the only point I can see is, maybe if your power supply is not up to snuff, you can lock your card down to be safe. However, of the demographic buying $400 video cards, I dont see that as a big issue.

And I guess you could turn it down on non demanding games, but I think idle power is a lot more important in power consumption than what your card is doing that fraction of time it's actually running games.

But I'm probably missing the point as usual.

You will not see an argument from me, regarding the idle power consumption, being the most important of them all, sir.;)

All I am saying, is that it is no bad thing having the properties of a 5770 and a GTX 580, at the same time on a single card (exaggerating here a bit). I bet that this is what AMD had in mind. Why not save, what can be saved anyway?

Back