AMD: R9xx Speculation

Seems to be a lot of doom and gloom around this 1536 sp thing and I agree, AMD's supposed "small die strategy" never struck me as long term viable. People care about the most powerful card and that's it. AMD aimed too low.

All that said, if 6970 is 90 or 95% as fast as 580 with a much smaller die and lower TDP and lower price, it still works out to a nice win really for AMD despite all this doom and gloom. They will be in the same position they have been in, or better. If it's 85%, I guess that could still be argued as a win, depending, but it will more represent parity with the current generation.

It almost seems like the low TDP is aimed at enabling a dual chip 6990, which then could hold the top spot for a really long time like 5970 did.

All that said, it will be disappointing if AMD doesn't grab the top single GPU spot as it looked like they were about to do, for the first time in ages.

Sums up my feelings. It seems they were well within reach but didn't go for it

Of course that's pending results. If its < 400mm^2 and 190W and matching the GTX 580, it's a pretty damn good engineering win that's for sure, and the prices would be nice

I still have the feeling that this is wrong , and 1536 is not the number of shader processors , Remember the time before HD 6870 ? how we all argued whether ALU count was 800 or 960 or 1120 or 1280 ? with several sites saying 960 or 1280 , and then the truth got revealed two days or so before launch ? I think we are in the same situation here .

If the XT is really a 24 SIMD part

The supposed switch to 4D saved them 10% die area and if the Cayman XT has less lanes than Cypress then why is its die 15-20% larger? The other arch improvements dont sound like they were anything radical to consume a greater die area.

Something doest add up..

What's the going price for a 580 GTX in France?
It's $529 USD here.

We have the 6970 coming in at 496 euros which would be mighty pricey if we use a straight $->euro conversion ($650 USD).

The 580 GTX is starting to look mighty sweet.
459,00 € PALIT GeForce GTX 580
446,49€ INNO 3D GeForce GTX 580

First prices for France seems to be 379€ and 479€ which are around the GTX 570 and 580 prices...

HD 6970 (479€) will be slower than a GTX 580 (446€) ? :???:

I'm hoping for eyefinity support and the game is coming out in 2011 , i'm sure it will have a dx 11 path , even if its not as demanding as other dx 11 paths. LOTRO a 5 year old game with its new dx 11 path is pretty demanding.

World of Warcraft has DX11 renderer/path too ;)

eh whatever life is too short to worry about SPs and performance. I'm going to sleep wake me when 2x Cayman are released

I'm hoping for eyefinity support and the game is coming out in 2011 , i'm sure it will have a dx 11 path , even if its not as demanding as other dx 11 paths. LOTRO a 5 year old game with its new dx 11 path is pretty demanding.

I'm playing Lotro on eyefinity, just 5040x1050 though. What card you using - even my 5770 ran it well with 0xAA (obviously) and mid-high settings.

But yeah I get your point. I signed up for TOR beta testing, giving eyefinity as my reason why I should get a spot ;) Too bad they left it for North America only.

I don't think it will have eyefinity support to start with unfortunately. If AMD had any sense it would, but...well you know what they are like lol.

eh whatever life is too short to worry about SPs and performance. I'm going to sleep wake me when 2x Cayman are released
CES?

Remember the time before HD 6870 ? how we all argued whether ALU count was 800 or 960 or 1120 or 1280 ? with several sites saying 960 or 1280 , and then the truth got revealed two days or so before launch ? I think we are in the same situation here .
I remember, but it ain't gonna change...

If 6990 is dual 6790 and 6790 is 10% under 580 GTX then 6990 won't be "beatable" for the foreseeable future as a dual 580 GTX wouldn't be reasonable.

BTW, how is Crossfire these days? Can a dual card (with the normal compatibility and stability issues) really be compared with a single-gpu card (typically more stable and compatible)?

If the answer is yes...

I think he was going that it wouldn't have the dual market to itself unchallenged not necessarily that it wouldn't have the performance crown.

If 6990 is dual 6790 and 6790 is 10% under 580 GTX then 6990 won't be "beatable" for the foreseeable future as a dual 580 GTX wouldn't be reasonable.

BTW, how is Crossfire these days? Can a dual card (with the normal compatibility and stability issues) really be compared with a single-gpu card (typically more stable and compatible)?

If the answer is yes...

I've had a 5970 since launch.. it's OK. With certain games, dual GPUs still have weird microstutter issues that only can be observed if you are pushing the card to its limits. Which, in my opinion, hurts the longevity of these cards.

For example.. I can run L4D2 with 4XSSAA @ 2560x1600 on a 5970 but when it dips to 50FPS the perceived frame rate is something more like 25 FPS.

You are also entirely dependent on drivers. Especially in the case of the 5970, as there's way to disable the second GPU via driver. So if there's a problem, you have to wait for AMD to fix it.

Personally, I'm never going back to dual GPU. Waiting for the 69xx series so I can sell this thing off. Though I may end up going for the 580 if the 6970 isn't all it's hyped up to be.

If the answer is yes...

It isn't.

ATi's driver support is still as bad as ever, people say it is getting better, but honestly they are either lying to themselves (fanboys) or are being deceived. SLI is better, but I would always get a single GPU card. Seriously, every time.

I think a dual GTX570 would be doable, but it would be more like dual GTX569 or something, with 2 SMs disabled for 14/16 on each card and a total of 896 SPs, it would be competitive with 6990. Definitely. If you take around 10% off the GTX470 power consumption and multiply by 2 you would get the power consumption, and it would be possible. Plus with just 14/16 active SMs Nvidia could bin for lower temps.

I think a dual GTX570 would be doable, but it would be more like dual GTX569 or something, with 2 SMs disabled for 14/16 on each card and a total of 896 SPs, it would be competitive with 6990. Definitely. If you take around 10% off the GTX470 power consumption and multiply by 2 you would get the power consumption, and it would be possible. Plus with just 14/16 active SMs Nvidia could bin for lower temps.

And you think this would beat 2x cayman?

Back