AMD: R9xx Speculation

Sounds like CaymanXT performance sentiment relative to the 580 is shifting on an almost daily basis. ATI/AMD have done a remarkable job keeping everyone in the dark this close to launch, but after the inevitable buildup of expectations (even amongst the conservative crowd here at B3D), they may be setting themselves up for a major letdown.
If <400mm2 GPU drawing <200W being close in performance to 580 can be considered a letdown then be my guest. :)

If <400mm2 GPU drawing <200W being close in performance to 580 can be considered a letdown then be my guest. :)

To Joe gamer they don't give a rats posterior about the size of the die or power consumption. They care about FPS.

It's a letdown because AMD implied it would be the fastest single-chip board available. It looks like it will not be that.

Shouldn't be a letdown under normal circumstances, but when the lack of reliable leaks and hype gets people seriously hoping that <400mm2 GPU drawing <200W can also offer 580 + 20% performance, that's unfortunately what's likely to transpire.

Shouldn't be a letdown under normal circumstances, but when the lack of reliable leaks and hype gets people seriously hoping that <400mm2 GPU drawing <200W can also offer 580 + 20% performance, that's unfortunately what's likely to transpire.

That I agree. Some people created too much hype.

To Joe gamer they don't give a rats posterior about the size of the die or power consumption. They care about FPS.

It's a letdown because AMD implied it would be the fastest single-chip board available. It looks like it will not be that.

They might care if thier power supplys are incapable of running gtx 580s but can run caymans ?

Aside from that how many joe gamers will be buying $400 video cards and isn't a fan boy of either company already ?

They might care if thier power supplys are incapable of running gtx 580s but can run caymans ?

Aside from that how many joe gamers will be buying $400 video cards and isn't a fan boy of either company already ?

Uh...me?

A better question is how many people who will pay top dollar for top performance give a crap about needing to buy a new PSU? I've had top cards from both companies and was quite literally waiting on Cayman to decide my next purchase and it's seriously looking like 580 even though I've leaned "red' over the years.

While a lower power cayman XT might not be a hit with the DIY enthusiast need the biggest epeen market, it'll probably do much better in the OEM Enthusiast Market where they'll still offer competitive performance without a megawatt psu.

Anyway, more than the SP number pe rse, it would be useful to know if the transistor budget (assuming a die size of approx. 400mm^2) this time was spent specifically on the "efficiency" side, that is, to keep all the units occupied full time. In pure math/texturing power, 58xx series is still untouched; if Cayman adds efficiency on top of that, it could be still very competitive.

Back