AMD: R9xx Speculation

I can honestly say that the numbers don't add up, you've not listed the proper data :) either your ratios are off
Oh come on , 45 days ago , I would have chosen 11.1 and 900/100 , and it would turn out right ;) , are you suggesting that my numbers are way off ? or that the whole riddle is too obvious to answer !

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I was told it is $333 for 2GB model...

Good, your numbers are in line with what I heard quite a bit ago, good to see that the GTX580/570 hasn't changed anything for them.

$449 XT
$349 Pro

and now it sounds like there will be either an LE or 1Gb Pro at ~$299.

If that was actually true then we would have seen a number of performance 'leaks'. By staying silent ATi are losing business, if they leaked the info of what you claim then people would have been more willing to stay on the fence and wait, of course you can't do that if your card sucks as it will damage your reputation and erode consumer good will.

Well no, it doesn't. If you leak a few results showing a big gain over the competition it will do much more for hype than staying quiet. Staying quiet raises suspicion more than anything else. It's the same as Sony in the NPD threads...

How many times do people need to use these same arguments?

You want to erode consumer good will? Hype up a card publicly and then delay it. See: Fermi woodscrew edition. You want to hype up a card and then disappoint against the competition? See: can of whoop ass.

You know what's happened the last few times AMD's leaks revealed cards that Nvidia immediately countered with? The 4850 leaks made Nvidia release a 9800GTX+ and do a uniform price drop. The 6800's made a uniform price cut on the 460's and 470's.

Reveal your hand too soon, and Nvidia has all the pricing info they need to rain on your release before it happens. Or worse, Nvidia has cards held back to do it. Nvidia having been in a better financial state makes it easier to absorb these types of things - AMD doesn't get nearly that same luxury.

And AMD hasn't said a thing and Cayman is being hyped to all different extremes. So I don't think the PR needs to worry about creating interest and buzz. And think about how many people are holding back from buying a 580/570 just because they want to see what's around the corner?

Methinks many complaints about Cayman not having enough info are people who are going to buy a 580/570 anyways, but want to see lower prices

Oh I see your logic now.

btw overall discrete is still in favor of AMD for Q3 (50.30% vs 49.60%).

You do realize those are just Q3 numbers right? And you do realize AMD already sold like 16 mil units when nV sold 0 (6 month Fermi delay). It was more than 25mil not long ago for AMD.

Plus, the original argument was about DX11 cards. This is for the entire discrete market, which means a lot of DX10(.1) stuff, especially from NVIDIA in Q3.

your data source doesn't support your conclusion. The numbers in that article are not specific to DirectX version or product generation.

In q3 of last year, all nV chips in Dx 10 were EOL outside of notebook integrated. So it does stand. Q4 actually brings on alot more Quardo and Tesla sales that we haven't even seen yet.

EOL doesn't mean they weren't being sold

Anyways, saw this mentioned earlier, from Damien's 570 review

A l’heure où nous publions ce dossier, les Radeon HD 6900 sont enfin entre nos mains et avec un lancement prévu le 15 décembre il paraît cette fois sage de patienter une semaine de plus pour disposer de toutes les informations avant d’acheter. Qui plus est, si le prix de lancement de 350€ de la GeForce GTX 570 est plutôt bien justifié compte tenu du niveau de performances, il pourrait bien entendu y avoir un ajustement.
translation: At a time when we publish this issue, the Radeon HD 6900 are finally in our hands and with a planned launch on December 15 this time it seems wise to wait another week to get all the information before you buy. Moreover, if the introductory price of 350 € for the GeForce GTX 570 is pretty well justified given the level of performance, there could of course be an adjustment

edit: guru3d also hinted at the 570's price dropping 20 euros in the next few weeks, and techreport did the same in more stark terms.

I love silly season

Any hints about die size?

Rumors range anywhere from ~360-450mm2.
Most specific I have heard is 385mm2.

Early rumors pointed to under 400mm2, newer rumors are now stating over 400mm2, i.e. larger than R600's 420mm2.

Edit-

edit: guru3d also hinted at the 570's price dropping 20 euros in the next few weeks, and techreport did the same in more stark terms.

I love silly season
Me too!!!!
That leads me to believe that the 6950 is between the GTX570 and GTX580, possibly nipping at the heels of the GTX580.

Wouldn't that be nice for the wallets? Unfortunately it seems the gist of most of the innuendo-leaks is that 580 will be the champ with the 6970 beating it only in a few, mainly synthetic benchmarks and the 6950?? Another week.

Wouldn't that be nice for the wallets? Unfortunately it seems the gist of most of the innuendo-leaks is that 580 will be the champ with the 6970 beating it only in a few, mainly synthetic benchmarks and the 6950?? Another week.

But then why would these sites be saying to expect a price drop on a $350 GTX570 if a $450 6970 is inbetween it and the $500 GTX580, which would mean the $350 6950 is possibly under or at GTX570 levels...

For the GTX570 to get a price drop means the $350 6950 is faster than it.

But then why would these sites be saying to expect a price drop on a $350 GTX570 if a $450 6970 is inbetween it and the $500 GTX580, which would mean the $350 6950 is possibly under or at GTX570 levels...

For the GTX570 to get a price drop means the $350 6950 is faster than it.

Perhaps the difference between the 6950 and 6970 is small. (GTX570<6950<6970<GTX580).
Why use 2GB in 6950 if it does not matter?

I believe the 6950> GTX570 ... but I do not think 6970> GTX580.
yes, sure the AMD can upgrade the specs for the 6950(delay?), but not for the 6970...

Perhaps the difference between the 6950 and 6970 is small. (GTX570<6950<6970<GTX580).
Why use 2GB in 6950 if it does not matter?

I believe the 6950> GTX570 ... but I do not think 6970> GTX580.
yes, sure the AMD can upgrade the specs for the 6950(delay?), but not for the 6970...

The 6950 being next to the 6970 is too close and unlikely - 580 is only 20% faster than the 570, so them being less than 20% apart makes no sense, especially when AMD has never done that

full.png

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...hd-6900-series-pictured-launches-dec-15-.html :rolleyes:

Back