AMD: R9xx Speculation

By the way, I want that puppy in my case, but I am afraid that it will be severely overpriced, 'cos there are rumours about 599 USD. :oops:

Hmm.. 6950 looks to be a cheaper than the 570, so I don't know where the 599 is coming from, maybe rolleyeville?

someone said it's 6970 engineering sample
It's an HD6950 ES

full.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so weird if HD6950 really has "only" 1GB of memory ...
I don't think only 1GB mattered in Extreem preset of Vantage before...

It's certainly worth investigating, since many review sites do their test only in the performance setting and might be wowed by the performance. While sites who do at least 3 presets, like lab501.ro will notice there is something fishy in there.. and benchmark-optimizations-gate-version-two-point-o will start. Hope it was a temporary issue, maybe drivers or something.

Probably from here and the listed prices of 3999 and 2999 chinese national currency for HD6970 and HD6950.
Sources from China before the GTX580 release listed it a 4799 yuan. Go figure. :rolleyes:

LOL. The 6970 being 30% faster than the 580? Not in my wildest dreams! I would eat my hat even if it came to be 5% faster, let alone 30! OMG!

There MUST be some mistake here.

OT: I am having serious trouble accessing the site the past couple of days. Anyone else? :S

It would be hilarious, but I think it is wildly optimistic.

However, there is one thing that makes me stop and think: GTX 580 is what Nvidia should have produced last year. AMD got it right then, and have had another year to bring out their next product. No, they don't have a new process node to go to, but they've been working on their next generation product, where Nvidia have been just trying to get last year's one working properly.

If you take the view that AMD is a year and a generation ahead... well maybe surprising things might be on their way.

Post1: Good to know there will be plenty stock of the 6970. For those thinking will the 6970 be faster than a 580, I got news for you, how does 30-40% faster at stock sound.

Post2:The 580, the optimization on the shaders on the 69** has yielded impressive gains over the 68**, factor that in with the 70%+ shaders over a 6870 and you got 580 busting performance.

Post3: It's a guy that works for a very well respected AMD AIB, he has 6950/70 samples. Yeah I said wouldn't but that kind of performance is just too much to ignore.

Post4: He's just started with them, they got some samples in and he has seen them benched, it was just a casual email from him pointing out some benchmark scores and I did the math. There is nothing I have posted to incriminate him, if I posted up some results then that might but obviously I will not.

Post5: Come the 13th I will be vindicated.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18214275&page=2

Wow, too good to be true!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nvidia GTX580 is about 20-30% faster than HD5870 and HD6870 has 30% less shaders and it's about ~5% slower than HD5870. If CaymanXT has 1920 shaders - has 70% more shaders vs. the HD6870. Now if we say shaders percentage is equal games percentage, then CaymanXT is about 70% more than a HD6870 - and about 65% more than a HD5870, and about 35-45% faster than Nvidia GTX580; now add in clock speeds, driver optimizations, possibly on one game at one level within quick second we could see 65% performance improvements.

Cayman 30% over 580 in synthetic shader tests is believable.
But 30% faster in real-life game tests?
30-50% over 5870 will be fine for me.

Back