AMD: R9xx Speculation

The full time guys are, the part time guys want 2 weeks.

I'm never happy with 5 days including the weekend. I'm really tired to see AMD and Nvidia expecting us to spend our weekends (and sometimes our nights) at work if we don't want to publish a crappy review. We have as a policy to always benchmark all boards from a given family with the same driver. That + a proper analysis of the new hardware within 5 days is always a challenge, especially when I have to write a full review for a printed magazine at the same time.

So, from that slide a rough guess at HD 6970 specs are :

3 Tflops
1550 mil/tris a seond (2 tris a clock at 775mhz)
32 Rops (32 pixels a clock)
2GB Ram
153.6 GB/sec memory bandwidth

The above spec would be the baseline for the HD 6970, as I've never seen a dual GPU card from ATI with higher specs than the top dog single card.

Most likely the HD 6970 will run again at 850mhz, possibly higher and the memory bandwidth will probably be higher also.

Someone posted this at 3dcenter:

amdradeonhd6900slide6.jpg

1920 SPs per GPU, 2 tri/clock, 775MHz.

And 5 DP Gflops/W as nvidia plans for Kepler 2011/2012.

Edit:
Argh, I should refresh more frequently. :rolleyes:

Someone posted this at 3dcenter:

amdradeonhd6900slide6.jpg

1920 SPs per GPU, 2 tri/clock, 775MHz.

And 5 DP Gflops/W as nvidia plans for Kepler 2011/2012.

Edit:
Argh, I should refresh more frequently. :rolleyes:

GDDR5@1200Mhz also

If it's really at 300W, it's more than impressive.
Cayman@900Mhz shouldn't be much over 200W at this point

So SIMD count is the only unknown? The rest of the faked slide must be true then.

Probably yes, slide 72 is awfully far in to give the specs

Slide 6 for Antilles though would make more sense, as it'd be silly to have your specs that far back :p

So they do it again - two XT chips at PRO clocks? :eek:

But this time I don't believe they can stay around 300W in furmark. Most likely they rate it the nvidia way - max gaming load or something. Because if it is ca. 150W @775mhz, then what will the single be at? 1GHZ? :oops:

825/850Mhz most probably
Assuming the same ratio as between Cypress und Hemlock one arrives at ~900 MHz.

As the VLIW4 units are a bit simpler than the VLIW5 ones, that may have opened a bit clockspeed headroom without raising the voltages. So we may see Cayman at a slightly lower voltage than Barts.

Back