AMD: R9xx Speculation

caveman-jim: 2GB model of HD5870 consumes 40W more than 1GB model. HD6900 will feature faster modules, more of them (as Triskaine mentioned), so 50-60W of the TDP seems to be related to the different memory configuration (when comparing HD6900 to HD5800). I think it indicates, that the Cayman's TDP and cooling system reflects more the changes of memory configuration, than power consumption of the GPU itself.
Real numbers are better than pure extrapolation.

With GDDR5, power draw is massively due to I/O... for the old 5Gbps H5GQ1H24AFR :

- 32-bit mode 1560/1630mA max
- 16-bit mode 990/1010mA max

That's about 1200mA just for I/O, so a 2Gb chip would draw about 2000mA, assuming the same process, whereas 2Gb are on a newer process.

I don't know if there's more up-to-date data, but that's different from your "40-watt for 8 more chips"... you probably took the E6E as a baseline, but it's not a regular 5870, assuredly with a sightly different VRM (read something about it supporting higher voltage than the 1GB ref board, perhaps just different OCP levels) and probably even with different GPU binning.

SI Q2/Q3 2011

Somebody should start SI speculation thread:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-...-Islands-in-Q2-2011-Rumor-Has-it-164938.shtml

This latest development in the graphics card saga comes from a pretty shady website named, adequately enough, RumorPedia.net, that claims one source “close to AMD” told them Souther Islands GPU family will be released sometime in early 2011.

According to the same website, this actually means late Q2 or early Q3 2011, all depending on the 28nm manufacturing process employed for building this chips, AMD being set to release GPUs based on this new fabrication node before Nvidia manages to do so.

July 2011 is also what I'm expecting:

gtc_2.jpg

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/10/13/global-foundries-talks-28-and-20nm-gtc-asia/

Apparently Cayman might not make release date.

Sources on a small island that doesn’t get along well with red China are informing us that Cayman has little chance to make the scheduled November 22nd launch.

The situation doesn’t look good as the final chip never made it to partners and the final boards are not ready yet. Partners do have early samples, but our sources assured us that there is no final bios and that drivers are not ready.

Just to assure you that this is not Nvidia talking, these guys are all unhappy as they were supposed to get some good sales numbers over the holiday season, as quite a few of people are excited about Cayman.

As of today, November 5th, at least some of the mayor players have no cards, no final bios and no drivers. They are saying the way things worked in the past they would have a small miracle to have full availability at launch. Of course, it's possible that the launch will proceed as expected, but availability is the key issue at this point.

We are sure that many will burn the messenger, but there is nothing we can do about it. We can only hope that we will see some Cayman cards selling in December.

http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20755-cayman-might-not-make-it-for-22nd-nov-launch

For what it's worth, 28nm Radeons in mid 2011 is pretty much what I was expecting…

Turks or Caicos@28nm will replace Juniper in May-June 2011, but i think that for Bart / Cayman successor we will have to wait for Sept 2011. The transistor density increase should be around 2.5x. I think AMD will aim for 1.8-2x Cayman, in 30% less die-size (around 300 mm^2). The biggest problem as usual it's the bandwidth.. can a 256bit/GDDR5@7Gps feed a badass probably 6 Teraflops chip?

:devilish:

Back