AMD: R9xx Speculation

newpriceposition002a.jpg

Wait, is that nV slide?!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/...renewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/2

However it’s worth noting that internally AMD was throwing around 2 designs for Barts: a 16 SIMD (1280 SP) 16 ROP design, and a 14 SIMD (1120 SP) 32 ROP design that they ultimately went with. The 14/32 design was faster, but only by 2%. This along with the ease of porting the design from Cypress made it the right choice for AMD, but it also means that Cypress/Barts is not exclusively bound on the shader/texture side or the ROP/raster side.

:p

Congratulations, Dave, for some outstanding engineering and price points. These cards will be my easiest recommendations in it's class, by far.

Note on 40nm/32nm transition:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/...renewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/2

Also note - Northern Islands was always Northern Islands, nothing else. The switch to 40nm resulted in a common abbreviation of "NI40", but they were always NI.

Sure, now you tell us. :)

However it’s worth noting that internally AMD was throwing around 2 designs for Barts: a 16 SIMD (1280 SP) 16 ROP design, and a 14 SIMD (1120 SP) 32 ROP design that they ultimately went with. The 14/32 design was faster, but only by 2%. This along with the ease of porting the design from Cypress made it the right choice for AMD, but it also means that Cypress/Barts is not exclusively bound on the shader/texture side or the ROP/raster side.

So how many version of cayman are floating around?

So how many version of cayman are floating around?

We look at many different potential configurtions. The two being discussed for Barts were effectively the same (target) cost so they were analysed more closely to establish which way to go.

So implementing the tech in hardware, writing sample code, programming guides, tech demos, doing industry expo presentations & direct devrel for several hardware generations aren't enough?

And what was the result? You would think after 7 "generations" of tessellation hardware they would be blazing trails but instead they're stuck with complaining about nVidia as usual.

But of course there are subsets, lots of possible ones.
Yes, you either FULLY support DX11 spec or not. But you can have some tessellation feature in DX10.1 that are compatible with DX11, you just can't call them DX11.

Can you elaborate? I'm not aware of any DirectX interfaces for AMD's "old" tessellator.

Congratulations, Dave, for some outstanding engineering and price points. These cards will be my easiest recommendations in it's class, by far.

Yeah seconded. AMD is really keeping the ball rolling. Execution on the hardware side of things has been excellent the last few years.

Texture Filtering did truly improve and according to pcgameshardware :

1-HD 5000 filtering bugs were hardware in origin .
2-Filtering is fixed in HD 6000 series .
3-Default A.I setting (Quality) is actually worse than HD5000 .
4-High Quality AI improves filtering noticeably , and everything is good again.
5-Nvidia's High Quality filtering is still superior .

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you elaborate? I'm not aware of any DirectX interfaces for AMD's "old" tessellator.
The Xenos tessellator is exposed via DirectX. There was a PC backdoor in the drivers for DX10 cards as well - there is tessellation whitepaper from Valve a few years back where they look at a few ways of tessellating and they compared using this as well.

Back