AMD: R9xx Speculation

And which is absolutely fine and understandable. They have a business to run and me and a lot of others are pretty much tiried about AMD' PR people always whining about Nvidia's strategies regading developers. Stop crying and get your ass up AMD and invest in the software base around your products.
I as a consumer just want my product run as good as possible and i have to say that on Nvidia's side i am a lot more secure in that case.

nV has every right doing that. It's up to devs if they bite the bait.

But what happens when a money making machine like Intel starts paying off game devs copious amount of dough and screws both nV and AMD? Intel GPUs may be the slowest and crappiest of all, but hey, who cares, what matters is how much dough you give to devs, right? It's nVs and AMDs fault they can't match the bribe.

and yet you and these other same people would b!tch up a storm like no other if AMD and Intel both used their respective positions to harm nVidia's product path.. IF say Intel and AMD both released BIOS/UEFI updates that forced graphics PEG slots to 1x IF an non-AMD/Intel GPU was present. I mean after all it was Intel and AMD that both invested in their respective CPU architectures and chipsets and all the while nV is piggy backing on Intel/AMDs already hard work ?! Pot/Kettle ?

Are you actually eastmen's clone or is this simplistic reasoning just fashionable in certain circles?

The fact that you can't let this case be judged on its own merit says enough, doesn't it?

But ok, let's examine this (strawman) analogy you need to come up with to demonstrate how you feel about this. Hmm, now if AMD were to do this they'd only be damaging their own platform, so I don't see it happening. And if Intel did it it'd be a sure fire instant antitrust suit. Awesome :)

Why would the dev care? If a game has appeal, the monetary impact by the amount of people put off by such actions by a dev is minute compared to the check written.

Apparently some devs do care..

One of these days, AMD will understand the old "if you can't beat em, join em." The poor me, PR callouts don't resolve the problems. Often, AMD ends up being late to the party and over time, people just become conditioned to buying nvidia cards because they can expect it to work well with new games. In that sense, TWIMTBP program is doing it's job and quite successfully. Much better than ATI's similar efforts in the past.

True, NVIDIA has a better track record with new releases than ATI. But I'm specifically referring to cases where NVIDIA coerces developers to not support ATI features (Assassin's Creed and DX10.1) or lock out basic features on ATI hardware (MSAA in Batman:AA).

That'd be funny if AMD wasn't the first out with DX11 and tessellation. :p

Yeah, but it seems, that we don't need any more until 2012.
And for Huddy Tessellation "was the biggest hardware feature of DX11". Now it's something that you could use but plz not in a way that is would be useful.

Thx god, their is one company who wants Tessellation in games before 2012. :LOL:

I want tessellation in games, I just don't want stupid amounts of tessellation for no reason whatsoever other than to win a small part of Red vs Green my-balls-are-bigger wars.

and yet you and these other same people would b!tch up a storm like no other if AMD and Intel both used their respective positions to harm nVidia's product path.. IF say Intel and AMD both released BIOS/UEFI updates that forced graphics PEG slots to 1x IF an non-AMD/Intel GPU was present. I mean after all it was Intel and AMD that both invested in their respective CPU architectures and chipsets and all the while nV is piggy backing on Intel/AMDs already hard work ?! Pot/Kettle ?
nV has every right doing that. It's up to devs if they bite the bait.

But what happens when a money making machine like Intel starts paying off game devs copious amount of dough and screws both nV and AMD? Intel GPUs may be the slowest and crappiest of all, but hey, who cares, what matters is how much dough you give to devs, right? It's nVs and AMDs fault they can't match the bribe.

Excellent rebuttals! :D

If Barts' pin-to-pin compatibility is a let-down to people, be sure to see some sad faces soon.

I'll PayPal you $1 if you don't say "couldn't they've just called this a GTX485?" after launch, okay?

Which would still leave Nvidia looking better than AMD at that point. Unless they were to call the true successor to GTX 480 as GTX 590 or 595. Similar to how AMD is trying to pull a fast one on it's consumers by calling Cayman 69xx.

Funny thing is, now with the price pressure by Nvidia prior to launch. AMD may end up cutting launch prices enough that 68xx prices end up where 67xx prices would have been accounting for inflation and generational improvements in architechture and speed.

So at the end 68xx will have the performance of an x7xx card. And the pricing of an x7xx card. But they'll call it an x8xx in an attempt to make it appear better than it actually is.

At least Nvidia will be taking a x8x card and calling it an x8x card. If it ends up just being a rename of GF100 and isn't something like a GF102 then well, I'm still not sure they're worse than AMD calling basically Rv940 a 68xx card.

Hell, even Nvidia's renaming schenanigans of the past come up smelling roses compared to AMD forcing the Rv940 (Barts) into the slot the Rv970 (Cayman) should have gone into. At least with all the various renaming schemes of G92, they generally progressively moved it down the performance chain. Even G92 being called the 9800 GTX when it was similar to 8800 GTX performance isn't as bad as that was their fastest refresh/next gen chip of the time.

That's not 100% correct:
" the biggest threat to ATI is NVIDIA paying devs to force features which degrade performance on Radeon hardware"

Might want to look at that again as the report before yours mentioned Tesselation can't even be enabled on 85%+ of Dx11 cards. So Nvidia would basically be paying them to make sure a feature that should work on all cards isn't working on their competitors cards. If true, this would trump the whole Batmangate fiasco.

Regards,
SB

Thx god, their is one company who wants Tessellation in games before 2012. :LOL:

You mean the company which has had tesselation hardware in its GPUs for several generations?

Don't you hate it when AIB's bundle a game that you absolutely don't like with their graphics card? I got Tomb Raider:AoD with a card once..

Me too! God that game was awful… I got it with my FX 5900 XT, Point of View, I think.

Might want to look at that again as the report before yours mentioned Tesselation can't even be enabled on 85%+ of Dx11 cards. So Nvidia would basically be paying them to make sure a feature that should work on all cards isn't working on their competitors cards. If true, this would trump the whole Batmangate fiasco.

Regards,
SB

We will see, if it a problem of the benchmark or the xbitlabs guy.

But not in 2009, right? Afterall, the very first DX11 games that came out were all Tessellation enabled.

Can AMD help promote specifically or get involved in creating a game engine specifically tailored for AMD products? If not, IMO, it's time for such a move.

Can AMD help promote specifically or get involved in creating a game engine specifically tailored for AMD products? IMO, it's time for such a move.

Can Or Will.. a big difference.

yes they can, no they won't.

Can Or Will.. a big difference.

yes they can, no they won't.
Hey, you get no argument from me :smile:. But it would be nice to get an official answer though. This is the kind of presence and PR AMD needs for both developers and consumers as it's clear how their competitor has decided to compete against them.

Hey, you get no argument from me :smile:. But this is the kind of presence and PR AMD needs as it's clear how their competitor has decided to compete against them.

You only need PR when your products can't talk for themselves.

Back