AMD: R9xx Speculation

I watched the vid. When he showed the back of the card you could see the power caps near the vent side of the card. Is this new? Will this be same for Cayman too? Also it looked like it had only 1 6-pin pwr plug but there was a place for 2 on the card.(that what I could see)

He was kind of a dufus..never even showed all the way around the card.

6850's reference has a sidewards facing PCIe power plug, whilst the 6870 reference has topward facing plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two Circles - spot the difference

b3da031.png

Both are anti-aliased, and both have diameter 8. One is rendered with four triangles that are 4 pixels wide and 4 pixels high.​

Then not particularly useful is it?

I don't even think it's real. ;)
But maybe it's a sign that the improvement over cypress is to limited that you would see it in real application.

The guy run his heaven on a Phenon X3 unlocked @ 3GHz. Is Heaven sensitive to CPU clocks and AMD/Intel arch? The tess setting was at normal too.

I have a x3@3400MHz and get min 35,4 FPS with my GTX480.

That PC gaming is going to hell. It isn't, in my opinion, we still get very good titles from time to time, just not usually from the biggest publishers. Way off-topic anyway.

Edit: whoops, too slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
PC gaming going to hell. Was that some Ubi game? :)

Well proof are sales. Compare the numbers to console games, its not even a contest. And its getting worse every year.

Game devs screwing and alienating half of its buyers with their shenenigans does not help.

b3da031.png

Both are anti-aliased, and both have diameter 8. One is rendered with four triangles that are 4 pixels wide and 4 pixels high.​

You are mis-using tesselation and hardware capabilities the "circle" in the right could be rendered with just two triangles 4 pixels wide and 8 pixels high and letting them have at least 16 pixels area.

And just for reference, with 4 traingles one can significantly improve image quality by doing hexagons instead of squares, this just show how biased benchmarks are today by using supoptimal techniches just to decrease performance on one plataform.

Back