AMD: R9xx Speculation

One SIMD still has 80 SP's, but now with 4D ALU's, which means that wavefront size has increased to 80. :runaway:

Why would they do that? 64 was already big, now Branch-Granularity will suck even more compared to GF100. :(

But at least the 6770 will soundly beat the 5850 with those specs, that's for sure.

One SIMD still has 80 SP's, but now with 4D ALU's, which means that wavefront size has increased to 80. :runaway:

Why would they do that? 64 was already big, now Branch-Granularity will suck even more compared to GF100. :(
80 is a really really nasty number for hardware thread size. If this is true then a whole pile of code that enjoys the "squareness" of 64 or 256 sized workgroups is going to be a nightmare. A total fucking bitch, in fact. Not to mention the mismatch in banks for 32KB of LDS, which doesn't divide into 20s in any meaningful way.

I don't believe this.

80 is a really really nasty number for hardware thread size. If this is true then a whole pile of code that enjoys the "squareness" of 64 or 256 sized workgroups is going to be a nightmare. A total fucking bitch, in fact. Not to mention the mismatch in banks for 32KB of LDS, which doesn't divide into 20s in any meaningful way.

I don't believe this.

Common people do not understand this..:cry: what does it means in terms of performance, power or something else?

Do drivers for these cards will be a nightmare to make?

This doesn't look like a typical AMD slide either. At least not the ones I know from the past. They have mostly been structured with a liitle bit of information per slide and - very importantly - the improvements in each area highlighted.

There's no mention about transistor count and power consumption... it's also untypical, that 2/3 of the slide are consumed by specifications of previous gen. products. This slide also mentions 5 Gbps modules for all products, despite HD5xxx slides always mentioned exact numbers (e.g. 4.8 Gbps for HD5870).

It's probably another fake slide.. it's not enough polished to be real.
but if what mao5 is true, that the official pdf are around it won't be much before we get real leaks. It would be about time, launch is in less than 3 weeks!

Another fake, but 80*4 = 64*5, I think there is enough rumors to dismiss the 4D ALUs rumor, it's 5D again, at least for this generation.

And I'm not sad about this... But drivers could improve, it's taking too long to see a decent compiler for this.

It's probably another fake slide.. it's not enough polished to be real.
but if what mao5 is true, that the official pdf are around it won't be much before we get real leaks. It would be about time, launch is in less than 3 weeks!

I surely hope that's wrong.

Back