AMD: R9xx Speculation

What are the odds that this is in reality a Cayman pro? i mean are they going to have Cayman and Barts with 256bit...? Also i read the chiphell thread, and the OP did not say anything about what model it was...

I am still hoping what charlie said about this generation being pin compatible with the 5000 series holds up...

That's not a way to explain the naming if you're losing to your own last gen x8xx-part
Naming isn't necessarily always all that reasonable with respect to performance-levels. Marketing plays a mayor role here.

I still agree with the basic premise you formulated: An HD6870 generally losing to an HD5870 would backfire in most reviews - even if there was a bunch of differentiating new "features" to behold and DX11/tessalation perfomance was doubled.

But you could also look at it the other way round: I don't remember any HDx7xx card that ever had to add that second 6pin power adapter. An AMD high-midrange card that consumes 150W+? Doesn't bode well with a lot of non-enthusiast customers keeping a very close eye on their power bills.

At this point, I'd be surprised if Bart's performance wasn't somewhere in the range of todays 58xx family - the question really is what kind of name (and price-tag) AMD will slap on that kind of card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is't HD3870(much slower than HD2900) was first?
WTF?
hd3870g8uc.png

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/...670/28/#abschnitt_performancerating_qualitaet

Back then NVidia was really tough competitor, 2900XT was a kind of (epic) fail and in order to stay competetive, ATi designed a chip which was much much cheaper to manufacture with almost the same performance. Perhaps you missed that. ;)

Just to pour some more fuel in those naming-scheme related flames:

What if AMD decided to put different chips into one (naming-wise) family?

E.g.

[HD6750 = high-clocked/renamed Juniper chips - can't think of any other way to fill the gap here]
HD6770 = lower-clocked/partly disabled Barts chips (Pro) ~ HD5850
HD6850 = selected/high-clocked Barts chips (XT) ~ HD5870
HD6870 = lower-clocked/partly disabled Cayman chips (Pro) ~ HD5870+30%
HD6950 = selected/high-clocked Cayman chips (XT) ~ HD5970
HD6970 = 2x Barts XT ~ HD5970+20%
HD6990 = 2x Cayman XT ~ HD5970+50%

It would be confusing from a purely technical point of view - but it might make for a better marketing wise naming scheme when compared to current HD5xxx performance levels ...

If Barts XT really performs ~ Cypress clock-for-clock, AMD's marketing guys surely lost some sleep pondering over how to position such a chip on the market:

- Artifically "cripple" it to fit it into a possible HD67xx series - and you'll lose a lot of profit due to not pushing your silicon as much as you could.

- Raise clocks to put it somehwere in the range of the old HD58xx series - and (a) power draw will probably give you a hard time marketing those cards under the HD67xx name or (b) performance won't be quite good enough to rectify labelling your Barts XT card as the "successor" to HD5870 ...

So maybe just try something out-of-the-ordinary to make it all fit?

Last edited by a moderator:

E.g.

[HD6750 = high-clocked/renamed Juniper chips - can't think of any other way to fill the gap here]

It would be confusing from a purely technical point of view - but it might make for a better marketing wise naming scheme when compared to current HD5xxx performance levels ...

If Barts XT really performs ~ Cypress clock-for-clock, AMD's marketing guys surely lost some sleep pondering over how to position such a chip on the market:

- Artifically "cripple" it to fit it into a possible HD67xx series - and you'll lose a lot of profit due to not pushing your silicon as much as you could.

- Raise clocks to put it somehwere in the range of the old HD58xx series - and (a) power draw will probably give you a hard time marketing those cards under the HD67xx name or (b) performance won't be quite good enough to rectify labelling your Barts XT card as the "successor" to HD5870 ...

This is what Nordic hardware had to say on it...
http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...ts-launches-in-october-as-radeon-hd-6800.html

Theres a chart at the bottom that helps situate where the new cards will fit in. Not sure if this accurate though.

I could find tons of reverse examples, but, you know, just do not want continue flame
This is not flame... I don't remember any single review showing HD3870 "much slower than HD2900"

Hardware.fr:
img00214411cvj7.gif

Xbit said:
The Radeon HD 3870 is overall fast for its price, providing as much performance in popular games as the previous flagship card from AMD but being twice more economical and absolutely silent.

techreport said:
The Radeon HD 3870 delivers almost exactly the same performance as the Radeon HD 2900 XT, yet the chip is under half the size and brings an astounding near-100W reduction in power use while gaming.

Guru3D said:
The XT and the 3870 card perform roughly equal with an positive exception for the 3870 here and there.

HardOCP said:
The Radeon HD 3870 can be summed up as being slightly faster than a Radeon HD 2900 XT, with less power draw, but not as fast as a GeForce 8800 GT.

tweaktown said:
Looking over our questions from the intro the card does perform quite well and is a nice step up from the HD 2900 XT at a very good price.

pcperspective said:
In most cases the HD 2900 XT was actually slower than our HD 3870 results making it the fastest card in the AMD inventory but not by much.

extremetech said:
This is the card meant to offer equivalent performance to the Radeon HD 2900 XT—only at barely more than half the cost and half the power utilization.

hothardware said:
The new Radeon HD 3870 performed much like a Radeon HD 2900 XT.

E.g.

That is not entirely a bad idea. Makes a lot more sense than what is currently floating on right now. Some hell will break loose if other wise.

According to me :)lol:) this doesn't make any sense and is completely against everything sane. Yep, I call it insane. :LOL: Some chips from Evergreen, other in inappropriate naming scheme that doesn't belong to them. I hope Dave is here and is laughing at this. Otherwise it would be really sad when turn into reality... :oops:

I hope Dave is here and is laughing at this. Otherwise it would be really sad when turn into reality... :oops:
Maybe they decided to re-introduce the sideport-idea he advocated so strongly for a long time - and he had to acquiesce in a really crazy naming scheme in return :devilish:

Nah, I'm just trying to make some sense of the rumours floating around recently - but I'm still pretty sure we'll ALL be surprised once NI is officially unveiled... :LOL:

Maybe they decided to re-introduce the sideport-idea he advocated so strongly for a long time - and he had to acquiesce in a really crazy naming scheme in return :devilish:

Nah, I'm just trying to make some sense of the rumours floating around recently - but I'm still pretty sure we'll ALL be surprised once NI is officially unveiled... :LOL:

It wasnt Dave, it was Carrell Killebrew. Afaik Dave is in marketing(?)

As to the power draw, GTX 460 has two 6 pin PCIE connectors and it is priced smack in the midrange market at $179. I dont think a TDP of 150-160W is something that is going to worry most midrange gamers.

Also remember those are just engineering samples, the final board may require just one. HD 5850 has a TDP of 151W. A Barts chip at the rumoured RV770 die size should have a TDP closer to HD 4850 than HD 4870. Also the two 6 pin connectors may be there so that overclocking is not limited by available power

None. They aren't going to have only one crossfire connection on their highend series.

That right there is proof positive that the alleged Barts picture is NOT going to be a 68xx card.

As well rumors are that 68xx will be similar or slightly longer than 58xx cards. Yet another piece of info that would greatly contradict that Barts picture as being in the 68xx segment.

Barts will be 67xx and Cayman will be 68xx.

Regards,
SB

Back