AMD: R9xx Speculation

A single product doesn't make a refresh. HD 4770 came out, sold out, then 4830 and 4670 dropped in price to cover the gap so nobody missed it. We might see a 6790 on new process but not a whole generation refresh.
Does AMD do "whole generation" refreshes any more?

I guess we might be talking at cross purposes here. I've been thinking of two kinds of refresh, an existing card being replaced (for example X1900 -> X1950), or a line up being refreshed (akin to HD 2900 - HD 3870).

The 4770 doesn't fit 'nicely' in those round holes I've defined for myself, so that might be why I'm not considering it a refresh; it didn't replace a card (4670 & 4830 both continued production & sales).

Considering the 2900 - 3870 refresh, for 5870 to follow suit then '6870' would be same Shader count with bumped clocks, improved power efficiency, new/improved UVD, memory tweaks.

That was my thinking, anyway.

I guess we might be talking at cross purposes here. I've been thinking of two kinds of refresh, an existing card being replaced (for example X1900 -> X1950), or a line up being refreshed (akin to HD 2900 - HD 3870).

The 4770 doesn't fit 'nicely' in those round holes I've defined for myself, so that might be why I'm not considering it a refresh; it didn't replace a card (4670 & 4830 both continued production & sales).

Considering the 2900 - 3870 refresh, for 5870 to follow suit then '6870' would be same Shader count with bumped clocks, improved power efficiency, new/improved UVD, memory tweaks.

That was my thinking, anyway.
Though if the latest info from Digitimes is correct, the '6870' is in fact Northern Islands @ 40nm, and wasn't NI expected to be "new architecture"?

caveman-jim: Would it make sense to launch such product? HD5800's power efficiency is very good, UVD capabilities are sufficient (I think), memory speed and capacity suits well to current games. It wouldn't convince users to upgrade. RV670 was just a hotfix of R600's power issues.

I see these 3 possibilities, which would be interesting to both customers and manufacturer:

1. High-end single-GPU board performing above GTX480 (or at least comparable), which would be above HD5870's price point (higher margins)
2. Direct replacement of HD5870 - same price (and die-size), slightly better performance (better perf./mm²)
3. Direct replacement of HD5870 - same/lower price, smaller die-size, comparable performance (better perf./mm², solution for TSMC's limited manufacturing capacity problem)

If the 4D ALUs romours are right, we could expect mainstream part with 1280 SPs + 128bit bus, midrange part with 1920 SPs + 256bit bus and possibly a 2560 SPs part on 28nm during 2011(?)

After a year, I would hope that whatever replacement for 5870 would be ~50% higher in performance or more. Which would put it above GTX 480. And should, IMO, definitely not cost more than 5870.

Except here we have a problem. Normally, market forces and competition means that launch prices of a product gradually go down over time. So when you do finally launch a replacement, it'll always be at a higher price than the old card. Except now, we have a card that still is selling more than it's original launch price. So demand is such that AMD may have no choice but to raise the price.

Which means we're back to the old grind of constantly increasing video card costs. /sigh. And back on the path to eventually having 1000+ USD video cards. :(

Regards,
SB

GF104 should finally bring Cypress down to at least the original MSRP.

Mainstream is a different story, since ATI still has no DX11 competition to Juniper.

Even then, I think a full cypress and a full gf104 will have significant difference in performance.

He's just saying that they might go back to their launch MSRP prices soon... Except I'm seeing reference Cypress cards being EOL'ed everywhere around me.

It looks like the HD 58xx cards are starting to come down. The first card back to $269 is this one for instance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150494

Pretty much every HD 58xx card seems to have been discounted: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20&Page=3

So I figure, the competition is increasing and the supply is also increasing to match at the same time. We may very well see an HD 58xx card below original MSRP! What a day that will be...

Back