AMD: R9xx Speculation

It'd be pretty cool if this thread got back on topic, but...

Ok im throwing a bit of crazy speculation in just for fun. What if ATI decided to manufacture GPU's on GF's 45nm process! :oops: Considering TSMC's problems, GF's process is very mature, probably gonna offer higher performance and it would help ATI's engineers to get familiar with GF's processes before moving to 28nm :p

Ok im throwing a bit of crazy speculation in just for fun. What if ATI decided to manufacture GPU's on GF's 45nm process! :oops: Considering TSMC's problems, GF's process is very mature, probably gonna offer higher performance and it would help ATI's engineers to get familiar with GF's processes before moving to 28nm :p

Interesting idea, but I'd be surprised, unless pricing per core was competitive (i.e. cost per mm was significantly lower on GF 45nm). I don't think ATI can afford to make a high volume chip at a larger (and therefore quite likely more expensive) process just to learn something.

Someone.. spill the beans already! (i.o.w. waiting for Soon!(tm))

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding those AvP AA numbers, these don't have 0x vs 4x, but give you extra comparison point: http://plaza.fi/muropaketti/artikkelit/naytonohjaimet/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-gf100,2 (just scroll down, 'till you hit image with "Aliens vs Predator (DirectX 11)" in it)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/30297-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-review-13.html
That gives you no AA vs 4x AA comparison, too

Canucks: 4xAA speed @ 1920x1200 = 53.59% of no AA speed
ComputerBase: 4xAA speed @ 1920x1200 = 25.99% of no AA speed

So there's something really strange in those ComputerBase numbers, especially since the 4xAA speed seems to be almost the same on every res, which isn't happening @ canucks.

Okay, Robson IS part of the coming line-up, and it's codenames will be based in or around Vancouver.. the new codenames will be a bit (mind me) less gay this time around. At least you won't feel like a botanical wonderchild or city planner this time around when discussing the new parts.

Back