AMD: R9xx Speculation

Seems not very likely to me.
Next year there will be a shrink from 40nm to 28nm, but a complete new architecture seems kind of wild.
I don't expect this until DX12, maybe start a speculation thread about this as well :)

Why doesn't it seem likely? From the 2900XT, to 3870, to 4870 and to 5870, the timspan has been almost exactly the same. The ATI division gets new chips out once a year.

Well if that single rumor is true, there's no way it can be a response to Fermi. You don't design a whole new architechture in half a year.

Regards,
SB

You make such decisions long before you know about the chip your competition is going to deliver. And as ATI is executing quite well at the moment, I would not surprised to see them move quickly.

Decisions about the design, yes, about leaking the info, not really :).

I am not saying it is the response to Fermi but it just seems rushed out. Does it leaves enough room for RV870? Besides ATI might had the information about Fermi long before Nvidia announcement. Well, everybody guessed that Nvidia will come up with a new architecture in 2010. Maybe they predicted that the market will be much more competitive in a year or so.

I don't expect huge architectural changes in the SIMDs ... slightly narrower would be nice for GPGPU but I don't think it would matter much for graphics, so I don't expect it happening. They'll probably chase NVIDIA in getting a writeable L2 and loosening up branching limitations.

I think its a bit premature, if we're speculating then we should be discussing some thing more sane like this -> AMD RV770 refresh -> RV790. So I guess either we turn this thread into a RV870 refresh thread or lock this baby down, which ever the mods feel is the better path.

As for this bit of "news", here is another shot at hardware-info's and nordichardware's credibility:
I'm quite sure Cozumel, Ibiza and Kauai are not the code names for the mobile chips. They have actually no clue what the names stand for. They simply got it from a forum post (German) I've done on September 28th ;)

The events were as follows:
I posted about some strange island code names (I wanted to tease some people) and a possible feature of the upcoming R9xx series and that there are already references to it in the driver. Furthermore that it took from December last year until now that we got the hardware after first references to RV870 und RV830 in the drivers. NordicHardware made up a news that R9xx is coming early in Q3/10. The German hardware-infos rumor site took this news and spiced it with the three island code names (claiming they are from the .inf files, which is wrong) and now NordicHardware just adds the code names to their rumor with the words that those names are coming from some beta driver (which is wrong, too). :rolleyes:

To say the truth, I don't know for for sure what these names mean either, but at least I think I may have a clue :rolleyes:

Anybody cares to know when these names actually appeared? Maybe Charlie has heard them already quite some months ago. :D

Just to clarify, I never did say we found the island names in any beta driver. He must have misunderstood that part.

I know this was early, but since there were multiple sources, hopefully not citing the same reference, claiming this I decided to post the two above mentioned news.

I don't know where hardware-infos get its information from and I only stand for what I myself have written.

//Andreas

To drive the wedge a little deeper, their brothers were the Cyclopes Gods Arges, Steropes, and Brontes.

I'd reckon those two sets of closely related three would make good desktop and mobile codenames, but don't go quoting me in another language on some German/French/Chinese forum! :LOL:

Back