AMD: R9xx Speculation

Lukfi

Regular
So, it's a bit early, but still, NordicHardware claims to have some info about next-gen Radeon chips, which are supposed to be truly next-gen this time (not even loosely based on R600 anymore). So I took the liberty of creating a thread for it.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,9997.html
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,9998.html

NH refers to the generation as "Radeon 100", there are supposedly three chips codenamed Cozumel, Ibiza and Kauai (as islands).

Launch date is Q3 2010 if AMD goes with TSMC and Q4 if they choose Globalfoundries.

Seems not very likely to me.
Next year there will be a shrink from 40nm to 28nm, but a complete new architecture seems kind of wild.
I don't expect this until DX12, maybe start a speculation thread about this as well :)

I don't think ATi spend that much R&D on R800 -- mostly a DX11-upgraded 2*RV770 single ASIC implementation.
Surely something much more grandiose is in the workshop behind the curtain. ;)

I suppose it could be possible they are doing a Rv8xx refresh in 6 months and then 6 months later launch a new card. But that seems really fast.

I suppose other possibility is they skip the refresh and launch a new card in 12-15 months, but that's a pretty long gap between cards.

Either way the timing just doesn't seem right...

Then again if Rv870 was delayed due to 40 nm problems and/or deliberately delayed to make the launch line up with Intel's Lynnfield and closer to Win7... Then a roadmap with refresh in 3-6 months (5890?) and then new product 6-9 months after that seems plausible.

Regards,
SB

There will be at least one 32/28nm node R800 "try-out" SKU before anything next gen to pop out on a finer manufacturing process, and if the competition environment is heating up that would be full-blown RV890, not just some mainstream puppy, I hope. ;)

Then again if Rv870 was delayed due to 40 nm problems and/or deliberately delayed to make the launch line up with Intel's Lynnfield and closer to Win7... Then a roadmap with refresh in 3-6 months (5890?) and then new product 6-9 months after that seems plausible.

Regards,
SB
Reminds me of R520 and R580. If R600 had been ready, it would have been launched in August 2006. While it didn't, the gap between R600 and RV770 was roughly 13 months with a refresh (RV670) in between.

Bergman said a while ago that they'll have something revolutionary around that time, 2010, so the time line is about right.

I looked around, but the linky seems to have gotten lost somewhere.

It believe they will revise the architecture, but it will be still based on the current VLIW architecture, which still has lots to show more and more games get shader intensive.
They will probably greatly increment the ALUs (looking forward a 3x), remove some fixed functions (RBEs and tessellation?) and they have to increment the bw efficiency as well.
The mainstream chips of R9xx will be probably be build for Fusion, so they will use a SOI manufacturing processes, but i have no idea how this can impact over the architecture.
But most important.. 28nm or 32nm? What kind of transistors density can we expect from both? And what about power savings?

According to nApoleon (still reliable as hell) originally R8XX was supposed to be the brand new (ugh) architecture from daamit. A while ago however that was pushed to R9XX.

But as we can see it didn't really affect their execution abilities though, and they might even be getting better in that segment (although it's easy improving from R600 piss poor :LOL:)

According to nApoleon (still reliable as hell) originally R8XX was supposed to be the brand new (ugh) architecture from daamit. A while ago however that was pushed to R9XX.

But as we can see it didn't really affect their execution abilities though, and they might even be getting better in that segment (although it's easy improving from R600 piss poor :LOL:)

R600 was delayed because of a bug in the 90nm design library. Not at all ATi's fault.

I wonder at what point (in time) that decision was made? It's known that the R&D process [both for NV & ATi] is virtually an uninterrupted time-line, and the work on each new design begins with a little overlap with the old one being just finnished... :rolleyes:

Why so fast? Do they expect big things from Fermi?

You make such decisions long before you know about the chip your competition is going to deliver. And as ATI is executing quite well at the moment, I would not surprised to see them move quickly.

You make such decisions long before you know about the chip your competition is going to deliver. And as ATI is executing quite well at the moment, I would not surprised to see them move quickly.

Decisions about the design, yes, about leaking the info, not really :).

Back