Uncharted 2 lighting?

Do you have any ideas or suggestions as to why they're pre-rendered?

Maybe...
  • to make the system look more powerful.
  • to make Naughty Dog look more powerful
  • Lazy & made a videos out of it
  • due that it would be unwatchable in real-time

Though it's a little bit obvious it is to trick most people to believe they are in real time.

Sorry that my post look totally biased but those are probably the reason.

I thought this thread was about Uncharted 2 lighting?

Well it is about lightning, though don't mix the prerendered video cutscenes with the thread subject.

Maybe...
  • to make the system look more powerful.
  • to make Naughty Dog look more powerful
  • Lazy & made a videos out of it
  • due that it would be unwatchable in real-time

Though it's a little bit obvious it is to trick most people to believe they are in real time.

Sorry that my post look totally biased but those are probably the reason.

Well it is about lightning, though don't mix the prerendered video cutscenes with the thread subject.
I think it would have been better if you contributed with a more constructive response. Your answer is an effort to throw dirt than think about the possibilities as a whole

Regardless I believe I saw real time cutscenes in the game as well, that look just as outstanding

Look at how accurate lighting and shadows were rendered in Uncharted 2.

Look at the pebbles' shadow (excuse my 2MP cellphone camera).

first pic as I stood in one direction
dsc00843k.jpg

second pic as I stood in the opposite direction
dsc00844on.jpg

The pebbles' shadow moved according to the light source.

I don't know if any game does that.

Look at how accurate lighting and shadows were rendered in Uncharted 2.

Look at the pebbles' shadow (excuse my 2MP cellphone camera).

The pebbles' shadow moved according to the light source.

I don't know if any game does that.

Lots and lots of games ranging back several years. Just parallax mapping casting shadows or some geometry. IIRC SP: Chaos Theory had something like this to.

Also about accuracy, isn't the womans flashlight the source for the shadows then why is the pebble shadows facing her? I mean Drakes flashlight is pointing towards opposite direction.

Lots and lots of games ranging back several years. Just parallax mapping casting shadows or some geometry. IIRC SP: Chaos Theory had something like this to.

Looks like (really good) normal mapping to me...

Also about accuracy, isn't the womans flashlight the source for the shadows then why is the pebble shadows facing her? I mean Drakes flashlight is pointing towards opposite direction.

Nah, Drakes light follows the camera. A gameplay decision I can understand, though it looks weird.

Looks like (really good) normal mapping to me...

Maybe not parallax then, kinda hard to see it on those images if the pebbles are elevated (parallax occlusion mapping) or illusion of being elevelated like (parallax mapping).

Nah, Drakes light follows the camera. A gameplay decision I can understand, though it looks weird.

I see but then it is not facing the correct direction and the womans flashlight doesn't create shadows as it should be the dominant lightsource near her.

I see but then it is not facing the correct direction and the womans flashlight doesn't create shadows as it should be the dominant lightsource near her.

Yeah, it doesn't matter which way the flashlight on Drake's belt is facing. Whatever is in the center of the screen is always what gets the light.

Dunno what's up with Chloe's light in that pic; it does in fact light things up correctly in the game, casting shadows and everything.

What's weird about the flashlight is that in the beginning of the first game it acted correctly (i.e. it pointed where Drake did and not the camera) then at about half way point through the game it looks like they changed their minds and made it follow the camera. I thought it was just a mistake, like maybe they forgot to lock it in place, but I guess not as they've stuck with it for the second game. I can't say I agree with it - it looks retarded - but I understand why they did it.

Also, yeah that shot looks like a normal mapped surface and I'm not even sure it self shadows (it's hard to tell from looking at the ss but it looks like that's just where the lights not hitting).

Last edited by a moderator:
While no Crysis, I think the game is very, very pretty and the engine mighty impressive but the shadow artefacts drive me insane. I know, I know: my propensity to critisise shadows in games is not healthy but I can't help it. Still, best looking console game.

Uncharted 2's shadows are the most general and artifact-free I've seen on console. Mighty impressive given memory constraints.

While no Crysis, I think the game is very, very pretty and the engine mighty impressive but the shadow artefacts drive me insane. I know, I know: my propensity to critisise shadows in games is not healthy but I can't help it. Still, best looking console game.

Drives me crazy too, and no reason to stop complaining 'till they get it right. :smile:

Uncharted 2's shadows are the most general and artifact-free I've seen on console. Mighty impressive given memory constraints.

I wasn't referring to sample/filtering but wrong bias values that lead to light shinning through solid objects.

Back